PDA

View Full Version : Orbital sander suggestions

Rick Gifford
11-30-2007, 9:30 PM
Festool. Extremely good tools and extremely expensive ones. Maybe someday...

I am in need of a good 5" or 6" orbital sander. Would like one with a dust port.

I will be receiving a $100 Woodcraft certificate, so if the one I choose can be purchased there all the better.

I would appreciate suggestions on good quality, besides the Festool of course.

Thank you!

Tom Cowie
11-30-2007, 9:48 PM
Hi Rick
I have a Dewalt 5" that has preformed very well in the last 10+ years that I've had it. I do have a PC belt sander and a Festool. The Dewalt is still used a lot but the dust collection doesn't come close to the Festool.
I'm from WV too. Cool place to live in my book.

Tom

glenn bradley
11-30-2007, 11:33 PM
I and numerous others love the Basch 1295VS. Best pattern I have ever had in a ROS. I get the desired result in much less time as the pattern is so uniform, one pass is usually all it takes. $50 - 60, vacuum adapter is a few bucks. With my Rigid shop vac hooked to mine I actually have to use a bleed cuff to reduce the suction. You can check CPO Bosch, you can almost buy two recons for what you have to spend. http://bosch.cpotools.com/sanders/random_orbit_sanders/1295dvs.html

Gary Breckenridge
11-30-2007, 11:50 PM
Festool is extremely expensive because of a extremely high markup.;)
I'd figure out how to deal with the dust and go from there.;)

frank shic
12-01-2007, 12:58 AM
i like the bosch 1250devs especially since you can get the sandpaper at home depot which also sells a 6" ridgid ROS. the dust collection is excellent.

Bill Wyko
12-01-2007, 1:47 AM
I have a Festool, I think it's model 125. It was worth the money and their sandpaper is great quality too. Very little vibration in your hand. Ask a dealer to let you plug one in. IMHO

Bob Childress
12-01-2007, 8:05 AM
Festool is extremely expensive because of a extremely high markup.;)

Tut, tut Gary. If you're a dealer you should say so. :rolleyes: :D:D

Gary Keedwell
12-01-2007, 9:56 AM
Tut, tut Gary. If you're a dealer you should say so. :rolleyes: :D:D
LOL Looking at his avatar ..he looks like a Festool dealer...notice the dollar sign next to his head:eek:

Gary

Gary Muto
12-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Anyone know about the Metabo FSX200? It's on sale at Rockler, but I don't know if it's a good sander.

Kevin Groenke
12-03-2007, 9:44 PM
I picked up 3 of the Metabos at Rockler as soon as I saw the $40 sale price. I can't tell you how long they'll last, but they run smoother than the worn out DW 423's that they're replacing. This sander doesn't have the cheap plastic "brake" that the DWs rely on to prevent free spinning, we replace those things on the DW's once a week. The Metabo's use 8 hole discs, so I don't need to re-invest in abrasives. The vac adapter is included and it works great with a Fein vac, I don't know about Metabo's pleated filter system, but IMO sanders really should be connected to vacs.

The ROS's in our shop are usually used one-handed for detailing small pieces, the Metabo has a comfortable grip and is easily held in the users palm.

I've been contemplating the Festool sanders for years, but with our students' abilities to break tools, I just can't justify the expense. I also don't need to get onto another slippery slope of tool infatuation. I can only afford so many bad habits.

It seems that some of the Rigid sanders are off-color, re-branded Metabo units, though I don't know about the fsx200.

Ultimately for $40 I don't think you can go wrong.

Prashun Patel
12-03-2007, 10:27 PM
I have a Bosch 1295DVS. The dust collection is great, but the port requires a custom converter to fit a vaccuum hose.
The cannister does a pretty good job IMHO.

Gotta admit, though, the one-handed control causes fatigue on larger jobs. If I cld do it again, I might opt for a 2-handed control.

Gary Muto
12-04-2007, 7:33 AM
It looks like the deal is gone at Rockler. The local store doesn't have any either. I've heard a lot of good things about Bosch sanders. I'll probably go with one of those.