PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid R4330 / Stand Gloat !!!!!

Bill Huber
11-30-2007, 9:16 PM
I got a new Ridgid 4330 planer and built a stand for it.
I just don't have a lot of room so I made a swing stand I guess you would call it.

I had my 1300 on a really short stand that went under the bench but it was a real pain in the back to use being so low. In the FWW Tool mag. that I got last week there was a really nice stand for a planer so I built one kind of like it.... well it does the same thing.

Its not near as nice as the one in the mag., I am to cheap for that, mine is just made out of 2x4s about $10 worth of then and a bag of dowels. But it really works great and now it is pleasant to use and I still have the space. I can also use the stand as a work table my putting a piece of MDF on it.

On the 4330 over the 1300.... well the cut is as smooth as glass, its smoother then the 1300 and that is hard to believe as smooth as it was. the 4330 has 3 blades and runs a little faster.
The DC is not as good as the 1300, at lest when using the shop vac. With the 1300 and the shop vac it would stay somewhat clean on the planer floor plate. With the 4330 there is chip that just fill the right side of the planer.
I do really like the fact that I don't have to lock the head before each cut, it makes things faster. Outside of that the unit is just about like the 1300.

76264 76265

glenn bradley
11-30-2007, 11:44 PM
My planer is still on a fliptop. In my case my sander is on the other side so it doesn't fit under the bench but the concept is the same. Your stand looks great and I'm sure you back can't thank you enough.

Bill Huber
12-01-2007, 12:00 AM
My planer is still on a fliptop. In my case my sander is on the other side so it doesn't fit under the bench but the concept is the same. Your stand looks great and I'm sure you back can't thank you enough.

I was thing of putting the sander on one side but then I would have to have it out in the shop and I just don't have the room, 12x16 fills up really fast.

How do you lock it when you are using one or the other, that was were I was having my problems and the hold downs are doing ok I think.

Russell Tribby
12-01-2007, 8:18 AM
Bill, the stand looks great and it seems really functional. I'd be interested in hearing/seeing more regarding construction. Glen, if you have a chance I'd love to see some pics of the stand that you built with some tips on building it.

Charles Wiggins
12-01-2007, 8:28 AM
I got a new Ridgid 4330 planer and built a stand for it.

Bill,

YOU STINK!!! I'm JEALOUS, JEALOUS, JEALOUS!!!!!!

Really though, congrats. Nice job on the stand. I'm with you - too cheap to use hardwood for simple shop furniture. Wish I lived closer so I could come over and steal.. uh, see it.

Tom Kelley
12-01-2007, 9:53 AM
Bill,
I was planning on buying the Delta 22-580 planer. What made you choose the Rigid 4330? Like everyone else I want the most bang for the buck. Your stand idea is very clever. May I ask where you bought the 4330? I could not find it online or at the Home Depot.
thanks,
Tom

Bill Huber
12-01-2007, 11:13 AM
Bill, the stand looks great and it seems really functional. I'd be interested in hearing/seeing more regarding construction. Glen, if you have a chance I'd love to see some pics of the stand that you built with some tips on building it.

My stand I am sure is nothing compared to Glenn's.

I just used plan old 2x4s, the better ones at HD. Planned then all to get them smooth and looking better and that's about it. I used 3/4 black pipe for the pivot and hold down clamps to keep it in place when I use it. I did use the good old DowelMax to hold it all together

Here are my basic drawings that I used.

76277 76278

Bill Huber
12-01-2007, 11:34 AM
Bill,
I was planning on buying the Delta 22-580 planer. What made you choose the Rigid 4330? Like everyone else I want the most bang for the buck. Your stand idea is very clever. May I ask where you bought the 4330? I could not find it online or at the Home Depot.
thanks,
Tom

I guess the price and the fact that I had a 1300 and really liked it. I had a chance to sell the 1300 for a good price so I just went for the 4330. The one thing that I really like about the 1300 and it is also on the 4330 is the prestops.

I got the planer at HD, now they didn't have one on the floor, the ones that were on the floor were the 1300s. So I ask them if they had any idea when they would be getting in the 4330s and the guy looked on the rack and they had 3 of them up there.

The 4330 is higher priced, the price is the same but you do not get the stand or the extra set of blades.

What got me is they had a 1300 return that was missing the tools, the tool storage cover, the stand, out-feed tray, extra blades and was well used and they had it marked down to $340... what a deal :D

Bill Huber
12-01-2007, 11:43 AM
Bill,

YOU STINK!!! I'm JEALOUS, JEALOUS, JEALOUS!!!!!!

Really though, congrats. Nice job on the stand. I'm with you - too cheap to use hardwood for simple shop furniture. Wish I lived closer so I could come over and steal.. uh, see it.

Well its locked up with a chain on it so come on by..... :D

The one that I saw in FWW was really really nice, but it would cost a bunch and then to just use it in the shop would be a real waste.

Steve Kolbe
01-10-2008, 3:58 AM
Bill

Wow! Nice modification on your planer cart! I must plan to construct something similarly now!

Steve Kolbe
01-10-2008, 4:32 AM
WHOA! Wait a minute!

check this post out... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=734511#poststop

HE says the item pictured is the Ridgid R4330 planer - but it looks different from the one in this thread. Which is the REAL R4330?

Rich Engelhardt
01-10-2008, 7:04 AM
Hello,

HE says the item pictured is the Ridgid R4330 planer - but it looks different from the one in this thread. Which is the REAL R4330?
They look the same to me unless I'm missing something??

One shot is from the front and the other from the back.
I attribute the red color of one to the camera used/lighting since it's clearly marked Ridgid.
I don't recall seeing anything made by Ridgid in their consumer line made in any colorr other than "Ridgid Orange".
OTOH- it would be nice of they did switch to "Ridgid Red", since that's been a long time mark of decent quality - - or at the very least - really decent calenders :D

Bill Huber
01-10-2008, 9:11 AM
WHOA! Wait a minute!

check this post out... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=734511#poststop

Rich is correct, they are both 4330s, the White Balance was a little off in the one shot, I reset my white balance when I converted the image from the raw format.

Steve Kolbe
01-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Ahh... It does look a little odd with the color temp! Nevermind - I will look more closely next time!

Paul Fitzgerald
01-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Oops. My camera was set to manual white balance and I had forgotten about it. :D Mine isn't really "Ridgid Red". Sorry for the confusion.

Paul

Danny Thompson
01-10-2008, 5:28 PM
Bill,

Nice execution. Would you mind sharing the title of the FWW article? I would like to see the difference and can't seem to find it on their site.

Thanks,

Danny

Bill Huber
01-10-2008, 5:57 PM
Bill,

Nice execution. Would you mind sharing the title of the FWW article? I would like to see the difference and can't seem to find it on their site.

Thanks,

Danny

It was in the Tools and Shops that came out as an annual.

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/FWNPDF/011195044.pdf

Phil Thien
01-10-2008, 8:18 PM
I like it! Do you use a DowelMax for doweling?

Bill Huber
01-10-2008, 8:29 PM
I like it! Do you use a DowelMax for doweling?

Sure did, I love my Dowelmax...