PDA

View Full Version : Beall buff question(s)

Bob Hamilton
11-30-2007, 9:14 PM
If you have used Danish oil on a bowl, how many coats would you put on and how long would you allow it to cure (as opposed to dry) before buffing?

Also, how durable is the finish produced from the wax buff? When I first got the buffs I grabbed a small bowl (no finish) that was sitting around the shop and buffed it. It came out very nice, but my wife asked about cleaning it, so I went into the kitchen and ran some water over it. The gloss pretty much disappeared immediately when it got wet. Is that normal or did I not have enough wax on my new buff? If you can't wipe it with a wet cloth to clean it without destroying the gloss, what good is it?

Thanks
Bob

Tony Wheeler
11-30-2007, 9:46 PM
what kind of wax did you use Bob ? Just asking since I just order buff kit that should be here Monday and have no Idea how to buff or what to use

Bernie Weishapl
12-01-2007, 12:43 AM
Bob I am by no means a expert on buffing but I do know carnuba wax if that is what you used will dull with water and will water spot something terrible. So it is not a good finish for utility bowls. I generally don't wax those but will use it for a show piece. As far as Danish oil or Minwax Antique Oil I put on as many coats as needed to get the shine or finish I want. For me I let them sit for a week to cure before buffing. Use a light touch as if you create heat it will burn right down thru the finish. What I did was turned some spindles put finish on them and tried different things with buffing. Check out my post of Potpourri pots. Those have Antique Oil and buffed. Hope this helps.

Mike Vickery
12-01-2007, 1:05 AM
If you have used Danish oil on a bowl, how many coats would you put on and how long would you allow it to cure (as opposed to dry) before buffing?

Also, how durable is the finish produced from the wax buff? When I first got the buffs I grabbed a small bowl (no finish) that was sitting around the shop and buffed it. It came out very nice, but my wife asked about cleaning it, so I went into the kitchen and ran some water over it. The gloss pretty much disappeared immediately when it got wet. Is that normal or did I not have enough wax on my new buff? If you can't wipe it with a wet cloth to clean it without destroying the gloss, what good is it?

Thanks
Bob
For Watco Danish oil I usually use 2 to 3 coats and let it sit at least 24 hours before buffing 2 days is probably better though.

Wax is not a very durable finish. For anything that is going to be washed you probably should not go for a high gloss finish, it will accent every little scratch it gets and wont last very long. For most bowls that are meant to be used turners will only sand to 220 or 320 ish. I personally used tried and true original formula on the few utility pieces I have done. It is a BLO Bees wax mix. Gives a nice satin like finish with no buffing. Most turners I know use some kind of drying oil as opposed to a film finish for items that will be washed.

Just my take on it though.

Bill Wyko
12-01-2007, 1:38 AM
I use a Beal 3 wheel system, after 4 or so coats of Tung Oil I get a nice finish. The 3 wheel system has it drawbacks on larger pieces. I would like to have 3 shafts with each having Its own grit or finish.:rolleyes:

Jon Lanier
12-01-2007, 2:52 AM
If wax is going to be put on a project that is going to be used for food I would think Bees Wax would be the best way to go.

Mahoney has the best stuff for food bowls. At least from what I've read and heard about.