PDA

View Full Version : Penn State air cleaner - vibration problem?

Quesne Ouaques
11-30-2007, 8:39 PM
I just picked up one of Penn State Industry's AC1000 Air Cleaners. So far, it looks like a pretty high quality unit, reasonably heavy duty and well made.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/ac1000.html

I sat it on my workbench to try it out before hanging it. When I turned it on, I noticed a significant but low-level vibration which makes the entire housing shake a bit. It's fairly low-level shimmy. The "amplitude" of the vibration is not enough to create any extra noise that I can hear. Overall, the unit is reasonably quiet even at the highest output.

I called Penn State and was told that all of the air cleaners vibrate to a certain extent. He said that all the units are tested before being shipped, and he assured me that it was within the limits of what should be expected with that unit.

I really have nothing to compare it to, so I was hoping to get some feedback from some other folks who may have this (or another) unit. If there is someone in the Philadelphia area whose air cleaner I can actually see working, that would be a real bonus.

Thanks in advance!

aaron allen
11-30-2007, 8:44 PM
My grizzly was the same way on my bench. Once I hung it on the chains it was quieter and the vibration wasn't noticable, eventually I didn't even hear the hum once on for hours. Just make sure nothing came loose during shipping and hang it.

glenn bradley
11-30-2007, 11:47 PM
I hang my shop-made cleaner from rope to avoid transferring vibration. there are also chains 'just in case' that will catch it after it falls (if ever) about an inch if the rope fails. I would not be concerned about 'on the bench' vibration. This will only be a problem if you choose a rigid mounting method.

Phil Thien
12-01-2007, 12:50 AM
Similar to Glenn's advice, there was a reader tip in a magazine once that said to use large (thick) rubber bands with chains as a failsafe.

Jack Briggs
12-01-2007, 8:37 AM
My Jet AFS-1000 does the very same thing. I think they're all assembled in the same factory. (Don't quote me on that!)

Jack Briggs
12-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Update:

I just started to work in my basement shop a couple of hours ago. Turned the air cleaner on and was greeted with a wonderful thumping sort of sound. This Jet AFS-1000B was purchased and installed by me about 6 months ago. Now, I know it's under warranty, but not being one to wait days or weeks for a replacement (I have to work for my bread!) I decided to open her up. The unit is bolted to the rafters, rather than hung by chains - not an easy 1-man job!

I removed the 6 Allen socket screws holding the squirrel cage fan housing and removed it from the filter side. Much to my surprise I found that of the 4 mount screws holding the motor to the housing, none of them were very tight and one was backed out of its threads half way (or perhaps never tightened!) No wonder it was wobbling! I snugged them all up with a 5mm Allen key and bloted it all back up.

Purrs like a kitten!

Quesne Ouaques
12-01-2007, 8:34 PM
I hang my shop-made cleaner from rope to avoid transferring vibration. there are also chains 'just in case' that will catch it after it falls (if ever) about an inch if the rope fails. I would not be concerned about 'on the bench' vibration. This will only be a problem if you choose a rigid mounting method.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. I hung it this morning using 4 thick rubber straps (doubled over) and an "insurance" chain on each corner. The vibration is not noticeable at all and it hums like a champ.

When I was up at Penn State (I live about 30 minutes from them) I also picked up some 6" fittings (blast gates, wyes, laterals, etc.) for my Delta 1.5 hp collector. Up till now, I've been using it on one machine at a time. Now it's time for me to get some duct work hooked up and really start using the dust collector!

P.S. I got a little tour of the warehouse. Huge place with a nice test area set aside for product support.

Tom Kelley
12-02-2007, 9:43 AM
I have my Delta hanging from chains. Maybe I'll try the rubber idea. What did you use? The solid rubber bungies with a hook at each end?
Thanks,
Tom

Mike Hollingsworth
12-02-2007, 10:29 AM
I picked up a JDS unit from Amazon for less than $200 to my door.
Instead of reading the instructions (remove packing) I hooked it right up. Bent the squirrel cage and wobbled like hell.
A call to JDS got a new squirrel cage even though I admitted fault.

Great American Company JDS

Quesne Ouaques
12-03-2007, 1:29 AM
I have my Delta hanging from chains. Maybe I'll try the rubber idea. What did you use? The solid rubber bungies with a hook at each end?
Thanks,
Tom

Hi Tom:

Yes, they are solid (synthetic) rubber bungees from HF. I use them for all sorts of stuff.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40046