PDA

View Full Version : New at turning

Joe Hall
11-30-2007, 7:58 PM
and I'm goiong to help my dad clear some trees tommorow (mainly cherry) and I need to know what is the best course of action to take in preserving my wood. I live in an area will I will not be able to store in large log form.

If I cut my logs in half and rough cut my bowl blanks in the woods, would you anchoseal the entire blank? I plan getting as many blanks as possible and store them in my garage. Is there a big advantage in keeping them in small log form as opposed to cutting them in blanks? Anyway, I appreciate the advice in advance.

Dennis Ford
11-30-2007, 8:08 PM
I would anchorseal the whole blank if you plan on storing them very long. Cherry is not the easiest wood to store. It would be better to rough turn the blanks and then seal them.;)

John Hart
11-30-2007, 10:17 PM
And when you cut them...Try to cut your logs down the center lengthwise to remove the pith from the center. Cherry is very suseptable to cracking and it doesn't take much time for the pith to start cracking (hours)...especially if the wind is blowing. Keep them out of the sunlight and in a cool dark place. Cherry stores very well if you put the prep work in. If not...it self destructs easily and quickly. Good luck!:)

Oh....And...Welcome to the Abyss!!!

Joe Hall
11-30-2007, 10:52 PM
thanks for the help guys, I've learned a lot from the site so far just lurking around and look forward to posting some first time turnings. I've learned though their is more work than just turning the wood, it really has a lot to due with prep work.

Bernie Weishapl
12-01-2007, 12:25 AM
Welcome to SMC and the black hole of turning. You got some good advice. Like John said cut about 1" either side of the pith to get it out and sealed or it will be split city in short order. Looking forward to seeing some turnings.