PDA

View Full Version : Jointer/planer combo

Jack Camillo
11-30-2007, 6:52 PM
I never hear anything about the Laguna combo jointer/planer machines. Price looks pretty good - 1500 for 10in, 2500 for 12 in. What bothers me is the descriptions and specs on the website are lacking. Anyone have any positive or negative info to share? I'm really looking forward to getting a combo when I make up my mind (and the price is right). I can't seem to get excited about a jet or grizzly for some reason (I'm not a highroller, or anything, just want something that'll last a 'lifetime').
thanks

Steve Rowe
11-30-2007, 7:22 PM
Jack, I believe these machines have just recently been brought in by Laguna so there may not be much of a user base yet. I believe these machines are made in Asia. Whether they are that much different than the Jet and Grizzly remains to be seen. All of these brands have been out only for a short while so whether they will last a lifetime or not remains to be seen. If lifetime is the objective, given the current experience base, I would opt for the Hammer or Minimax models in that size range. While more expensive than the options you listed, they are not that much more and I prefer to avoid shooting craps with machinery purchases.
Steve

Jack Camillo
11-30-2007, 7:59 PM
Steve,
I agree whole heartedly on shooting craps to save a few bucks. Thanks.

Scot Ferraro
11-30-2007, 8:14 PM
Hi Jack,

I hope my Hammer is going to be delivered sometime next week -- I think that some of the options that are available for it swayed my decision (extensions, digital counter for planer height, quick change knives on the Hammer -- MM offers Tersa) and the ability to add a mortiser if I want one in the future all weighed in my decision. One thing with the Laguna is that I believe that the tables open to the front of the machine rather than to the back like the MM or the Hammer. Not that this would necessarily impact functionality, but it seems counter-intuitive to me and if you house the machine up against a wall it might be a little awkward when planing boards. As others have said, the difference in cost is really not that much if you consider the overall life of the machine.

Good luck with your purchase and research.

Scot

Paul B. Cresti
11-30-2007, 10:32 PM
While I like the machines I have purchased there are many other ones out there: Rojek, Robland, Casedei, etc....while some brands seem to be better than others or more popular, MM/SCM & Felder are not the only games in town.

Rafael Carias
11-30-2007, 10:54 PM
I'd be hesitant to pull the trigger on either of those new offering from Laguna. Like Steve Rowe already mentioned, they are relatively new and the reputation isn't there yet. there are other economic alternatives and personally for the price I'd rather look at other offerings like the grizz combo or better yet (to me) the jet jjp 12, both under $2000.