PDA

View Full Version : Jet 1642 EVS 2hp

Robert McGowen
11-30-2007, 5:45 PM
Reading a thread yesterday cost me $1400 today. Reading a thread last week cost me $40. The wife is getting tired of me logging onto Sawmill Creek!

I looked at the Rockler site and they had the Jet 1642 2hp for $1399.99 with free shipping just like I had read about here. I e-mailed Tool Nut, as I have read their praises many times here. They e-mailed me back a couple of hours later and said that they could sell the same machine for $1500 and free shipping, explaining that Rockler had a store in Texas, so I would have to pay sales tax, which would bring the cost to $1512. They would beat the price by a whole $12 by playing games with the sales tax. I then called Tool Nut and told them that I did not have to pay sales tax, as I was a business. They said that they would call me right back after they spoke with the Jet rep. 3 hours later I called them and was told that the customer rep I was dealing with was on the phone and would call me right back. I gave them a deadline of one hour. They never called back. I guess they beat the price only if the price is not too low. :(

I called Woodcraft and told them that I had rather buy from them, as they are local to me and I go in there a lot. They said no problem, we will match the price, help you load it in your trailer, or ship it to your door, whichever one you want. GREAT service. :D

So, I guess I ended up with a 2 HP 1642 on the way. This is the best price that I could get anywhere for any reason, so if you are ready to pull the trigger, now is the time. End of gloat or rant or whatever.......... :)

Mike A. Smith
11-30-2007, 5:55 PM
Congrats Robert! Color me green...

Steve Schlumpf
11-30-2007, 6:49 PM
Congrats Robert! I have that very same lathe (only it cost me $500 more a year ago) and I'm here to tell you that you will absolutely love it! Looking forward to the pictures once it arrives!

robert hainstock
11-30-2007, 7:17 PM
I've watched Steve S work with his 1642, I agree with him . You will love it.:)
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
11-30-2007, 8:50 PM
Congrats Robert. I think you are going to love that machine.

Pete Jordan
11-30-2007, 9:15 PM
Great gloat Robert!

I can't wait to see the pix!

Tom Sherman
11-30-2007, 10:31 PM
Great gloat Robert, get the LOYL a real nice Christmas gift it could go a long way towards smoothing things out.

Raymond Overman
11-30-2007, 10:32 PM
Yes,Robert, there is a Santa Claus.

Congrats.

Barry Stratton
11-30-2007, 11:07 PM
CONGRATS!!!!!!! You retired yet?

Dale Gregory
11-30-2007, 11:29 PM
Congrats Robert! I have to admit that my thread got about 4-5 of us drawn deeper into the Vortex and lighter in the wallet! :eek: I didn't even think of Woodcraft matching prices, if I would have gotten off my arse at the beginning of the week I could have received a nice in-house rebate credit from them also. Anyway, I think this Jet lathe is one heck of a deal. Glad you got on bandwagon with us, it should be a sweet ride!:D

Dale

John Hart
12-01-2007, 6:01 AM
Congratulations Robert!! Your wife can't be all that mad. This oughta buy her lots of latitude to get whatever she wants!;) win-win :)

Paul Engle
12-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Nice goin Robert! yep being a "S" manufacturer for state sales tax , saves me sales tax here in Idaho on tools over 100$.