PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaws revisited

John Bush
11-30-2007, 4:28 PM
I currently have a Rikon 18"er, original model, that I am very pleased with and have the opportunity to sell it and make an upgrade. My only reason to change is the addition of(or lack of) a foot brake/switch. Like most, I lust for the sleek, smooth skinned, soft purring Italian models, but can't seem to find any used ones and, as a hobbiest, I honestly don't need that level of production "quality" or cost. I live close to a Griz showroom and have seen four models that could be logical choices. Can any of you help shed some light on pros or cons for any of these models:

G0514X2 19" 3hp
G0566 21" 3hp
Go531 21" 5hp
G0636X 17" 2hp New Ero-style clone.

Thanks, John.

Dave MacArthur
11-30-2007, 8:59 PM
Check my signature below for a good link. There was a thread this week asking for info between 514x2 and 566 and 636... not a lot of response to it--I'm interested also. My personal study for a year (ok I just really like "shoppping" for a band saw I don't need) leans me towards the 514x2.

John Bailey
12-01-2007, 9:05 AM
Alot, as always, is determined by the intended use. I have yet to resaw more than 6 in. I build boats, dulcimers and kayak paddles. I just don't do much resawing. I've run into problems with throat size. I often have to cut off the end of a board, and then use the bandsaw for the final cut that can fit in the throat. So, if were me, I'd go for the GO566 with more throat and more resaw than the GO514's.

John