PDA

View Full Version : Sawstop Table Saw Under $1000!!!!!

Derek Tuchscherer
11-30-2007, 3:52 PM
Sorry to mislead you. :(

Now that I have your attention, I think it is time that we are all reminded that this forum is not run without costs and overhead expenses. This site is kept running and advertising free by contributions by it's members. So to those of you who use and enjoy this forum and have not contributed, let's get out the credit card, cheque book or whatever your chosen payment method is, and contribute to this community. Suggested donation is only $6.00. :)

There are people on here constantly with gloats of getting this or that for $XXX.XX and yet have never contributed. :confused:

And even more amazing, there are members who have posted hundred of times, yet never contributed.

And for all those selling something on the swap meet...give a little something back to the community that is hosting your ad and giving you exposure to the perfect demographic to sell your item, c'mon it's only $6.00:)

Well I've probably said enough for now.

Derek
PS - once again sorry for misleading you with the topic!

Dave Sinkus
11-30-2007, 4:02 PM
So, how much is shipping to 60491 for this SawStop? :)

Derek Tuchscherer
11-30-2007, 4:07 PM
I think I could get it shipped there for oh....$8,000 should handle it!:D And at that price you get contributor status at Sawmill Creek!

Derek

Dan Barr
11-30-2007, 4:14 PM
AMEN brother!

Just about every question ive had answered on this forum has been worth $6.00. :D

It's the least i can do to donate ONCE for all the questions ive gotten answers to. :)

v/r

dan

Derek Tuchscherer
11-30-2007, 4:24 PM
C'mon Dan, your line says "2007 Contributor", did you know that you can upgrade that 7 to an 8 for the low price of $6.00??:D

Check out how good it looks:

Dan Barr
2008 Contributor

SWEET lookin ain't it?:cool:

Derek

Dan Barr
11-30-2007, 4:39 PM
:D im just waiting on the ugrade to occur. :D

v/r

dan

Derek Tuchscherer
11-30-2007, 4:40 PM
Attaboy Dan! :cool:

Rob Bodenschatz
11-30-2007, 4:54 PM
Thanks for wasting my time.

Heather Thompson
11-30-2007, 5:24 PM
Well actually I picked up a PM66 for 700.00 from this site, had to drive 40 minutes each way to pick it up. :eek: The saw had 1 hour of run time on it, the gloat with pictures will be coming shortly. Oh, you will notice that there is a contibutor 2008 status under my name, actually covered a few other folks as well. I would have reached in my pocket even without the incredible deal, the information is great, the people are great (even the cheap ones :D), and the moderators are GREAT. Can you tell that I like this place?

Heather

Sam Blanchard
11-30-2007, 5:37 PM
:D im just waiting on the ugrade to occur. :D

v/r

dan

Ahem, "no picture - didn't happen"

Just kidding - GR8 way to get users attention.
And send me the linky for the Sawstop deal - I could use another to go along with my 31230 - I could leave the 2nd one with dado set up - LOL :D

Derek Tuchscherer
11-30-2007, 5:39 PM
Sweet buy Heather and congrats on the new saw. Gotta love when things fall into place!

And Rod, I apologize wholeheartedly for wasting your time, but I know I for one would be lost if this forum was to be shut down due to lack of funds.

Derek

Derek Tuchscherer
11-30-2007, 5:40 PM
Hey Sam, I'll find a saw for you but, hmmmm, California I think shipping is going to be very, VERY expensive!:D

Derek

Heather Thompson
11-30-2007, 5:59 PM
Ahem, "no picture - didn't happen"

Just kidding - GR8 way to get users attention.
And send me the linky for the Sawstop deal - I could use another to go along with my 31230 - I could leave the 2nd one with dado set up - LOL :D

Sam,

Actually it did happen, but currently I am swapping an Incra TSIII, router table with PRL PC 7518, and building a left wing. Check my previous posts, Chris was great to deal with. :D OH, there will be pictures for the official GLOAT!!!!!!!!!! Stay Tuned to SMC for future updates. :D

Heather

Bill Bryant
12-04-2007, 9:15 PM
I just contributed using PayPal. When does contributor status show up on my posts?

Paul Snowden
12-04-2007, 9:30 PM
Sounds nice, I'll take two.

CW McClellan
12-05-2007, 12:36 AM
When you wake p tomorrow morning the Saw Dust Farrie will probably leave it fo ya --glad to have ya aboard:D

Bill Bryant
12-05-2007, 12:44 AM
Sawdust Faerie? That'll be nice. So far all I've encountered around here are sawdust gremlins!

Al Garay
12-05-2007, 1:30 AM
Sent mine in just-in-time.

You may need to send another reminder in the other forums such as EurekaZone. Start the title with "Festool discount for EZ"

Derek Tuchscherer
12-05-2007, 8:26 AM
To anyone who took the couple minutes and $6 or up to become a contributor due to this and other emails...I personally say "THANK YOU" I know you will not regret it. And if Keith, Jackie or Aaron happen to get time in their hectic lives to read this. To you I say...THANKS!!!

Hey Al, I took the initiative and a little ribbing for posting this message, I will leave a message in the EZ Forum in your capable hands! Have fun with it no matter what you do!

Take care all.

Derek

CW McClellan
12-05-2007, 7:30 PM
See I told ya you're a 2008

Happy Sawmill --lets make some dust

Bryan Berguson
12-06-2007, 11:51 AM
Thanks for wasting my time.

I agree. I hope we don't see these posts start as a trend. Now, if there was a way to keep the contributors from seeing them it would be okay.

Bryan

Derek Tuchscherer
12-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Bryan,

That may be your opinion, and I respect that and have no problems with it. I was fully expecting more than a couple people to feel this way. However, being as how this thread has been viewed 1300+ times since I posted it versus the mid 200's times that the announcement posted at the top of the main page of the "General Woodworking" forum has been viewed. I think I have accomplished what I intended, and that is, to reach some of the folks who did not know that this forum is "supposed" to be supported by contributions. A couple people contributed, and lots of people saw the message. Therefore I feel it was worth it.

Freezing with a -25F windchill today
Derek

Dave MacArthur
12-06-2007, 12:38 PM
While I applaud your zeal, and recognize that an effort must be made to "reach the masses" for increased contributions, I found your bogus topic title extremely annoying. I am frankly surprised that the moderators have allowed it to remain, unless you have been designated as part of the team for fund-raising. So you understand that I support your goal, but not your method, I am going to put some other observations/ideas below so this is a "constructive" criticism ;)

My experience at SMC was this: I was here for many months before I had ANY IDEA that the site was donation supported, or what "contributor" meant. I believe I learned from seeing someone's signature that said "SMC is domation supported, please donate" or some such. I immediately donated, despite it being October, twice in fact. I think the occasional HONEST post requesting donations, and informative signature lines, would go a long ways to capturing many folks like me who slip through upon first contact without realizing the donation nature of the place... I've read from many active folks here they had the same experience.

Additionally, I think the PhP "register" script could be modified to display an INFO page about how SMC is donation supported, how to donate and how to do so in the future AFTER you've been here a bit (I mean where the button is!). Some kind of confirmatore page "Do you understand?" type of thing.

Tom Walz
12-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Heck, i thought it was worth a lot more then $6.00. Do I get change back? (just kidding)

Derek Tuchscherer
12-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Hey Dave,

I have no problem with criticism, be it constructive or not:o. And I agree that there must be a better and easier way to get the message out. I joined this forum as many others, same path, lurker, member, contributor, and yes it took a long time to even know about the contributor thing.

As far as people saying I am wasting their time, I apologize for wasting their time, but at the same time, I do not comment that every person who posts a thread about Festool, or gazillion horsepower cyclone, or tool sale that is 1000 miles away from me is wasting my time...because they are not applicable to me or my situation. I do realize though that those particular threads are valuable to others, and as such they have value associated with them.

And nope I am not part of the "fund raising team", just shouting from the rooftops for something that I beleive has exceptional value.:D Have a great day!

Derek

Larry Fox
12-06-2007, 1:16 PM
While I applaud your zeal, and recognize that an effort must be made to "reach the masses" for increased contributions, I found your bogus topic title extremely annoying. I am frankly surprised that the moderators have allowed it to remain, unless you have been designated as part of the team for fund-raising.

I completely agree with Dave here although I fear that my post is a bit less constructive.

First let me say that I REALLY REALLY tried to not reply to this thread but in the end it got the better of me. It seems to me that you have appointed yourself to some sort of position that I think should be occupied by someone with 1) a longer history here (51 posts as of this writing) and 2) has some "skin in the game" in terms of personal time invested in keeping the site up and running as well as a civil meeting place - that is, an admin or moderator.

Your post completely ignores the fact that there might be people here who maybe can't quite swing the contribution at this time. Should they stop coming to the site - answer is no. Maybe the guy selling things on the classifides page is doing so to make ends meet.

Point is that there are 10000+ reasons why someone might not contribute but I don't think trying to shame people into contributing is the right approach. Me personally - this site being around is a very good thing and I would not want it to go away. However, I would sooner see it and every one like it go away before trying to shame someone into doing something the way I think your post does (emphasis on "I think").

Fortunately, I am someone that can contribute and it is in my wife's queue of things and I inquired about it as recently as last night (not that I need to justify this to you).

John Thompson
12-06-2007, 1:37 PM
I agree that the thread was deceptive.. but I just contribuated $12 with this thread reminder as I'm very busy in the shop. One for me and one for someone that won't or can't contribute as there are those out of work. And there are lot out of work, especially if you are in any way connected to the building trade and that includes trickle down to even mortgage people in some cases.

I was laid off 5 weeks ago after 10 years with the same company after closing mine 11 years ago. Retail sales this year aren't good if you haven't noticed. The good news in my case is I just turned 60 and everything is paid off period... so life is simple at the Sarge house-hold.. I just retired if you want to call a production list from the "adorable lady" starting with a new bedroom suit retirement.

So... even though deceptive, if I didn't have a "few" minutes to waste... I wouldn't be sitting here posting on a computer to begin with. :)

Now... back to the shop as the bed I stared 4 weeks ago needs a coat of paste wax before being brought up to live upstairs tomorrow. Off to Suwanee Lumber latter today as the first chest of drawers gets designed over the week-end and the machines roll on Monday.

Thanks for the reminder....

Sarge..

Derek Tuchscherer
12-06-2007, 1:39 PM
Hi Larry,

Good points, and please let me clarify...

I have not appointed myself to any "position", just trying to get the word out to folks, by what means I could.

I have in no way told anyone to stop coming to this site but rather reminded and encouraged to contribute. I have been strapped for cash before and understand the position some are in. This is not what I meant, and if this is how my post was interpreted, then my post was misworded.

My history here is like many others, I lurked for some time, feeling I had nothing I could give back to the community, once I gained confidence in my knowledge, I became a member so that I could help out if I deemed it appropriate, and more recently became a Contributor because I realized, that I could afford it and that I really believe in the value of the site.

I think there are many people who would hate to see this site go away, but like you, I would absolutely be horrified and truly disappointed in myself if I have put people to shame by what I wrote. I was trying to do something I thought might help keep things the way they had been since I first found this site (ie Everyone was equal, and no "Special Forums" or Extra Benefits). If this is the case I will be the first to remove myself from this forum, as that is not the person I was raised, and nor the attitude I want my children to learn from me. If any of the moderators read this thread and deem it inappropriate in any may, shape or form, please delete it immediately, and let me know so that I may make a public apology to everybody.

Sincerely
Derek

Dan Lee
12-06-2007, 1:42 PM
I agree. I hope we don't see these posts start as a trend. Now, if there was a way to keep the contributors from seeing them it would be okay.

Bryan
I also agree.
My understanding is that the financial well being of the Creek should be taken care of with the coming of Google ads for non contributors and I believe Keith said there will be no more fund drives.
So if folks don't want the perks that being a contributor has so be it.

Chris Foley
12-06-2007, 1:58 PM
Derek,

I guess we all have different opinions....I have no problem with what you have done. IMVHO this was not done to "waste" time. It was meant to help get the message out. I for one would like to say "Thank you" for doing it.

Cheers! :D

Derek Tuchscherer
12-06-2007, 2:05 PM
Hey Chris,

I appreciate your thoughts, but as we all know not everybody interprets the written word in the same manner. I guess I didn't put enough thought into the wording of my post and the only one at fault for that is myself. It was meant to be light hearted and I didn't get that across effectively enough. Well live and learn, I suppose I will have to chalk this up as yet another lesson that I have learned from my friends here at "The Creek".:o

Thanks
Derek

Al Garay
12-06-2007, 3:25 PM
It motivated me to contribute, basically I had not gotten around to-it until I read your post.

I think humor combined with directness works well.

Chris Padilla
12-06-2007, 3:52 PM
Sometimes drastic measures are required to bring about change or get people to act a certain way.

I don't see this as drastic as other folks might but I think it was timely and needed.

The sad fact of the matter is that this site may end up going a direction most folks do not want it to (ads) but unfortunately, it does not appear that most folks are ponying up their fare to ensure it doesn't go that direction.

Tell you what, if you are one of those cash-strapped people, send me a PM and I'll pony up for you and you can pay me back whenever you want...or never....