PDA

View Full Version : Clearvue owners w/ metal duct

Brent Grooms
11-30-2007, 12:54 PM
How did you connect your duct to the intake? Tape? Screws? Combination? The majority of the fittings and blastgates I needed have arrived so its time to do some metalwork.

Paul Johnstone
11-30-2007, 1:52 PM
My setup is mostly Plastic sewer and drain pipe, but I have some metal ductwork.
I had to use a lathe to increase the inside diameter of a small piece of sewer and drain
pipe to allow a metal 6" to 5' spiral pipe adapter to fit. I basically made my own
plastic to metal adapter.
Worst case, you could probably start off with a piece of sewer and drain then enlarge
the opening to fit a 6" metal coupler.
I'd be willing to send you a small piece of 6" sewer and drain if you cover the shipping.
(To save you from having to buy a 12' piece).
Pm me if you want it.

Brent Grooms
11-30-2007, 2:17 PM
thanks for the offer but this one was setup for 7in pipe. I already have most os the pipe/hose thay I need. I was just checking what was the conventional wisdom on attaching the ductwork.

Malcolm Wheeler
11-30-2007, 3:00 PM
I used a spun aluminum reducer at the end of my run and pushed that into the intake of the Clearvue cyclone. But first I had wrapped some of that door sealing adhesive foam rubber around the edge of the 6" diameter so that it would make an airtight seal inside the cyclones intake. Then I just sealed it all with duct tape - not pretty I know but it works fine. The fact that the step up from smaller to larger diameter faces downstream means (I hope) that I haven't damaged air flow too much.

Jim Becker
11-30-2007, 3:03 PM
If you take some sheet metal, you can roll it so it will fit into the plastic inlet. (or outside if that makes for a better fit for your duct) Fasten securely and now you have a metal flange that can be used to adapt to the 7" metal pipe you plan on using. You may need to manipulate it slightly or use a rubber and clamp coupler if there is significant difference between the diameters.

Steve Rowe
11-30-2007, 3:07 PM
I don't have a Clearvue but I used the Air Handling Systems Easy Connect to hook spiral pipe to the dust collector. It is really slick.

http://www.airhand.com/product.asp?CategoryID=17&SubCategoryID=0

Steve

Brad Shipton
11-30-2007, 3:46 PM
I purchased black stove pipe preformed circular. Cut the ends off and rolled to the end tapers I needed. Roll the excess inside, no need to taper unless you are fretting about it being neat. Rivets or self taping screws and then tape with clear duct tape. I used Clear duct tape throughout on my Clearvue and it is holding fine.

Ciao

Steven Wilson
11-30-2007, 4:30 PM
I don't have the Clearview but you can connect metal to metal or metal to plastic with rivets and then caulk (or duct sealer if you want). If you need to taper metal a hammer and backing block works pretty well with a few well placed snips here and there.

Tom Veatch
11-30-2007, 11:49 PM
Not a clearvue, but same design cyclone (Pentz Kit) with my own design blower housing. 6" S&D ducts and shop-made round to rectangular transitions. Transitions are connected to the cyclone and housing with sheet metal screws and the joints taped with aluminum duct tape.

Brent Grooms
12-01-2007, 5:38 AM
Thanks for the input everyone, the transition on the intake will allow the 7in to slide in with a little effort so a couple of wraps of tape it is. Actually, this makes things easier as the body is already mounted in the stand. I have the pieces made/modified for the dust bin (altho I really should put a view window in it for at-a-glance dust level monitoring). I will post picts of it when completed.