PDA

View Full Version : Wynn Filters - Poly or Paper?

Brian Fomby
11-30-2007, 12:34 PM
I am upgrading my HF DC with a wynn filter (35A series), but am not sure which is the better to go with. One is spun bond polyester and the other is paper. The polyester filter is about $40 more expensive. Anybody have experience with either of these. I'm guessing the spun polyester will just last longer? Thanks. Brian

Jason Beam
11-30-2007, 12:38 PM
Poly poly poly poly!!! all the way - I'm glad I spent the extra $$ :)

My friend has the paper one and he swears by it, too, though. But with the poly one, you can blow it out with an air compressor ... Rick Wynn suggests you don't do that with the paper one too often.

Jim Becker
11-30-2007, 3:00 PM
No question...the polyester is the best product for the job.

Gary Ratajczak
11-30-2007, 3:28 PM
I had one of the older Wynn filters out of paper, and upgraded to the poly unit. BUY the poly! Much better.

The poly unit is rigid enough that it needs no inner mesh support - makes it easy to blow out dust and chips. My older paper unit had an internal mesh screen that only trapped chips.

You can also wash the poly unit to fully clean, I believe.

I have installed on a Jet DC1200. Piped in my small shop with 6" SD and homemade gates. I have a short ceiling, so this is the best I can do for now - works very well.

I also added an internal tube to drop the hole from the upper bag down further into the chip bag. Aslo added a ramp on the chip inlet to get the particles spinning downward, instead of in a circular motion on entry to the collector. This keeps them from just hitting the incoming chips, loosing speed, and being forced to the upper section of the collector.

I now see more chips being forced into the lower bag (I line with 55gal clear lawn and leaf bags).

It's FAR from a cyclone, but I think much improved over stock.

Gary R