PDA

View Full Version : Horizontal Text Spacing

Frank Defert
11-30-2007, 11:23 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to lay out some text on a desk name plate. The text, Bookman Old Style size is 80 and contains 2 eight letter words ( first and last name ). I have used a double space between the 2 names but I am looking for away to increase the spacing slightly between the individual letters while not changing the verticle size. I have a working area of 1" vertical and 14" horizontal and would like it to appear fuller?

Thanks....Frank

Jeff Belany
11-30-2007, 11:35 AM
I'm using Corel 8 but I'm sure the newer ones are the same. Go to Text/Format Text and you can either use character spacing (for the whole line) or, if you highlight the text you can use kerning. Either way you can see the results as you do it by clicking on 'apply' Hope this helps.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Mike Mackenzie
11-30-2007, 11:36 AM
Frank,

If you use the shape tool you can select individual nodes and use the arrow keys on the keyboard to move each letter to how you want it to look.

Frank Defert
11-30-2007, 12:40 PM
Mike,

Thanks the shape tool node adjustment method, works well.

Jeff,

I followed your instructions and I did find the character spacing and then the kerning, but I am unable to use it, it is shaded as it is not active. Is there another step to turn it on?

Frank

Joe Pelonio
11-30-2007, 12:47 PM
Convert to curves, then ungroup, then move them.

Mike Null
11-30-2007, 1:01 PM
Go to "text", paragraph formatting, spacing. From their you can select character, word or line.

You can be in either artistic or paragraph mode and this will work. The other options presented will also work but this is quite precise.

This is a repeat of an earlier post with slightly different words.

Bruce Volden
11-30-2007, 1:07 PM
Go to nudge and enter .02 (or whatever) get the node editing tool and click on text, click on the "boxes" and they turn dark, then use the arrow key and it will move any direction you want at the prescribed nudge distance.

How come this seems so easy in my head and so hard to put into words?? It shouldn't be this way I've had six years of high school!!:D

Bruce

Alan Young
11-30-2007, 4:51 PM
Click on the Text then select the node edit tool. You will see two little icons below the text. If you click on the one one the right side and drag it to the right it will add spacing between the letters. If you click on the left one and drag it it will add space between the words. I know this is true in version 12 and X3 I am not sure about version 8.

Alan

Larry Bratton
11-30-2007, 6:40 PM
Click on the Text then select the node edit tool. You will see two little icons below the text. If you click on the one one the right side and drag it to the right it will add spacing between the letters. If you click on the left one and drag it it will add space between the words. I know this is true in version 12 and X3 I am not sure about version 8.

Alan
Thanks for sharing that one Alan. Never ceases to amaze me, I learn something new on this forum everyday!!

Mike Null
11-30-2007, 8:50 PM
Alan

Corel is really something. You're right with your suggestion and I had forgotten all about it. Thanks for the refresher.

Frank Defert
12-01-2007, 8:19 PM
Sawmill Creek once again proves to be an outstanding resource tool. Thanks to all for your help. So many different ways to achieve the same result!

Thanks....Frank