PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of Delta SM200L Saw

Thomas Knighton
11-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Hi folks. As you can tell by my huge post count, I'm new here (Call me Captain Obvious, right? ;)). I'm also VERY new to woodworking. I came across the Delta SM200L Shopmaster table saw and it's $99.00 price tag at Amazon.com.

Now, I know the hazards of buying cheap tools (more or less). Yeah, I've got Black & Decker Firestorm's compound miter saw and circular saw, but they were purchased with an eye toward doing some stuff in the house and they've done just fine for me in that regard, but I know that ultimately, I'll have to upgrade down the road on all fronts. The thing is, my wife is worried about putting out a huge outlay of cash only to find that this is something I don't enjoy. It's a fair enough concern, so the price of the SM200L is very attractive for that purpose.

My question is, would it ultimately be a waste of $99.00, or an inexpensive way to get started? I know Delta usually makes good stuff. I've got a Delta bench grinder that I love, so I know the brand, but I don't know the Shopmaster line at all.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Tom

GERALD HARGROVE
11-30-2007, 12:28 PM
I started with a cheap Craftsman contractors saw, and it lasted several years before I upgraded. In fact, it is sitting in my FIL shop and is doing great for him now. You already know you will need to upgrade if you get into it, and the price seems good. If you end up not liking wood working, I can not imagine why you would not, you could always sell it to someone else.

scott spencer
11-30-2007, 12:47 PM
Delta makes some very good tools. Their Shopmaster line is their entry level DIY/bigbox type stuff. Some of it might be better than others, but there are no quality new table saws in the $100 price range by any brand that I'm aware of....it's a matter of design and characteristics more than brand at that point. I'd view that purchase as an exercise in futility and frustration, and ultimately really poor value even on sale for $80. That type of saw are all small, light, and inaccurate, which make them inherently more dangerous than a better grade saw, not to mention loud and not reliable in the long term.

Since you've got a circ saw, I'd hold off on a TS until you can save more, and just use your circ saw with a straight edge. $150-$200 can buy a decent full size cast iron contractor saw used. Check the classifieds here, your local paper, Craigslist, and Ebay. $300 sale price might get you into a reasonable jobsite saw like a PC 3812. $400 sale price can get you into a full size cast iron saw like the Jet 708100. These are all safer saws with more capability that are at least better investments of the initial cost.

Mike Circo
11-30-2007, 12:50 PM
I'd strongly advise against it. You will ultimately be disappointed.

If you are uncertain about your future in woodworking, I'd suggest a good used tablesaw. One with a nice solid cast iron table and a decent fence. Plus, belt drive and not direct drive like the one you show for $99.

On any give week you should see several options on Craigs List, or even in your local papers. The price may be a bit higher, but you will be better served and may actually have some resale if/when you move on.

With a very discount table saw, you will never know if bad results are due to your inexperience or the fault of a poor tool.

Thomas Knighton
11-30-2007, 1:02 PM
The advice is much apprecaited. I guess I'll just hold off until I just HAVE to have a table saw, then get a higher end one.

I'm just curious if there is anything I must use a table saw for, versus something like the Smart Guide, or just a regular straight edge for that matter.

Thanks again!

Tom