PDA

View Full Version : Gas Fireplace Question Newbie Alert!

Trent Flemming
11-30-2007, 10:49 AM
I was thinking about installing a gas fireplace in the game room, but do not have gas service. Can I place an 80 lb propane tank outside and pipe the gas through the wall? If so, any idea on how many hours the unit will operate in 80 lbs of propane? I realize BTU usuage is a factor, but just a general guess would be great. Usuage would be minimal and our winters in Texas are very mild. I also understand local codes must be taken into consideration.

Thanks
Trent

Bob Childress
11-30-2007, 10:53 AM
The short answer is yes, you can. Codes will dictate how close to the house the tank can be and if it needs a firewall around it. Be sure to select a log set jetted for propane.

If you get an adjustable flame, you can control how much gas is burnt and that tank might last the whole season unless you are planning on burning the fireplace all day on weekends. :)

Chris Padilla
11-30-2007, 10:57 AM
I bought a (natural) gas fireplace 2 years ago--I love it as it heats the places in our house where we spend the most time and I can keep the furnace off for the most part.

From my understanding, most natural gas fireplaces can be converted to propane for not too much dollars.

Whatever you do, I'd conform to the code...messing with gas...well, I wouldn't mess with it! :)

Al Willits
11-30-2007, 2:24 PM
I'd check with your local building inspector or if your community doesn't have one call one in a bigger city that does and use their thoughts as a guideline.

Is this thing vented or not?
If not, I'd pass on it, unvented units kill a few each year, and may not even be code to begin with.

But I believe there's 91,000 btu's in a gallon of propane and I think a gallon of propane weighs about 4.25 pounds.

Taking the input of the fireplace and the 80#'s of propane you can figure out about how many hours it will run, remember input is btu's per hour.

Also remember propane is heavier than air so leaks will pool and when the air mixture gets a bit over 2.5% propane...boom .. be careful.

Al