PDA

View Full Version : Curly maple and Walnut Nightstand Pics

Michael Ballent
02-16-2004, 1:15 PM
This was my very first real furniture project, about 2.5 years ago... The plan came from Woodsmith. HB dovetails were done with Leigh DT jig (Sorta gloat). Let me know what you think :)

-Michael

Donnie Raines
02-16-2004, 1:26 PM
Overall, I like it. Remember, whenever useing dovetails it is advised to use at least 3 tails...both for astetics and for strenght.

What type of finish did you use?

DonnieR

Jim Becker
02-16-2004, 2:03 PM
I really like the piece and the contrast between the walnut top and figured maple carcass is very nice. The hardware is not to my liking, but that's a very subjective thing. I hope you've made additional matching pieces since this one went together...or at least that you plan to make them!

Donnie Raines
02-16-2004, 2:16 PM
BTW......did you mean for the top drawer to match the figure/grain of the top rail...they blend perfectly...those are the details that set us woodworkers aprt from our "factory" made counterparts...

DonnieR

Michael Ballent
02-16-2004, 2:26 PM
Overall, I like it. Remember, whenever useing dovetails it is advised to use at least 3 tails...both for astetics and for strenght.

What type of finish did you use?

DonnieR

I was not aware that you should use at least 3 tails, learn something new everyday.

For the finish I used Watco Natural Danish Oil... Not sure if I want to keep it like that or add some thinned poly to it...

Thanks for the comments :)

-Michael

Michael Ballent
02-16-2004, 2:34 PM
Yep that was intentional... The place I bought the wood from let me go through brand new pallet and I got to cherry pick all the curly pieces that were in the pallet and they did not charge me more :D The nice thing was that the wood came from the same batch.

I do have plans on completing the set using maple and walnut, but it will have to wait... My real job has been keeping me very busy. :(

-Michael

Chris Padilla
02-17-2004, 1:05 PM
Michael,

I was curious about the finish, too. The walnut looks a little red (perhaps lighting or camera or something?) to me and I wondered if you had stained it with some kind of a mahagony treatment or something.

Nice little nightstand and nice use of the curly maple.

Stan Smith
02-18-2004, 10:54 AM
Real nice piece, Michael. Personally, I think the 2 dovetails look okay. Thanks for the posting because I'm making a jewelry chest for swmbo and plan on using raised curly maple panels in the doors. I had been wondering how curly maple panels would look. They look great!

Stan

Daniel Rabinovitz
02-18-2004, 11:03 AM
Michael
Well executed and very nice.
I like the contrast.
Daniel :cool: