PDA

View Full Version : How to cut?

Chris DiCiaccio
03-04-2003, 2:44 PM
Hi folks! Sure am enjoying SawMillCreek. Anyone ever cut 4'x8' tile board? I'm going to use it to make some dry marker boards for some classrooms. What is the best tool to use? It's 1/8" thick. I would like as clean a cut as possible. Thanks.

steve banks
03-04-2003, 2:50 PM
If it is the same stuff under the trade name of "Wonderboard," I used a special handheld carbide tipped tool made especially for scoring this material and snapping it like sheetrock. I don't see why one couldn't use a masonery blade in a circular saw and get good results. Hope this helps.

steve banks
03-04-2003, 2:55 PM
Sorry Chris I think that I misunderstood your post. You are refering to the fiber board that has a faux tile finish on one side. Isn't this the same stuff that was popular in the '60s and '70s for shower surrounds in bathrooms?

Chris DiCiaccio
03-04-2003, 3:03 PM
Originally posted by steve banks
Sorry Chris I think that I misunderstood your post. You are refering to the fiber board that has a faux tile finish on one side. Isn't this the same stuff that was popular in the '60s and '70s for shower surrounds in bathrooms?

Steve, Yes, that is correct. It's white and slick.

Lee Schierer
03-04-2003, 4:59 PM
I've cut this two ways. One was witha fine tooth blade and a cheap jig saw (it was all I had at the time) and with a skill saw and a fine tooth blade. With both, I cut from theback so the teeth came up into the white finish. I think my new Bosch jig saw would do a much better job than the old B&D as it it much smoother.

As an extra precaution you could stick masking tape to the smooth surface before you cut. This will greatly minimize the chip out on any cut.

Ted Shrader
03-04-2003, 5:20 PM
Originally posted by Chris DiCiaccio
Hi folks! Sure am enjoying SawMillCreek. Anyone ever cut 4'x8' tile board? I'm going to use it to make some dry marker boards for some classrooms. What is the best tool to use? It's 1/8" thick. I would like as clean a cut as possible. Thanks.

Chris -

Score the lines to be cut. Put masking tape on the front surface on the "good" side of the line. Cut it face up on a table saw. The blade should run "just" to the side of the score. Any chips will stop right there.

Good luck,
Ted

Todd Burch
03-04-2003, 7:50 PM
Tablesaw with your favorite combination blade is good enough. You'll be recessing the edges into some type of frame, so chip out isn't a concern. Run it through, white side up. Have a brewsky, pat yourself on the back, go to next project.

Todd.

John Sanford
03-04-2003, 9:03 PM
Another possibility would be a Rotozip.