PDA

View Full Version : Dumb TS question

Ed Brady
11-30-2007, 12:33 AM
I have been looking at table saws for my shop and in order to fit within my limited space I plan to incorporate my router with the TS. The saw will have the right side of the saw with the extension table against one wall with the saw itself to the left. In other words, the saw would stick out into the room from the wall like a peninsula. I am currently considering the SawStop with 30" fence, the PM 2000 or a used Unisaw. Ideally the router would be to the left of the saw blade so that I would have easier access to it.

My dumb question is this: The SS has the motor enclosure on the right side, but the PM200 has it on the left. When I look at older unisaws there really isn't a motor enclosure sticking out, but the newer unisaws have a motor enclosure on the left. Logic tells me that a left tilt saw would have the motor enclosure on the right to accommodate the motor as it pivots to the right to allow the blade to move to the left (all moving ccw).

What am I missing?

A related issue is finding a router table that will fir the saw I choose -- especially the SS.

Thanks,

EDB

Lance Norris
11-30-2007, 1:04 AM
When the blade is at 90 degrees, the motor is almost touching the door, or even sticking out of the cabinet a bit into the door opening. When tilting to the right, the motor is under the table, tilted to the left. The motor follows the bottom of the blade.

Ken Taylor
06-13-2008, 10:12 PM
You're right, the motor sticks out to the left on the PM2000 when the blade is vertical. Also, in this position the blade is to the right of the motor as you face it from the front.

BUT, as you tilt the blade to the left, the motor swings under the table - i.e. down and to the right because they are all connected as one unit and at right angles to each other.

glenn bradley
06-13-2008, 10:56 PM
Different designs place the motor different places. In the 90* position, my motor is centered under the blade/arbor. The assembly swings to the right as the blade tilt left.

Bart Leetch
06-14-2008, 12:39 AM
I have been looking at table saws for my shop and in order to fit within my limited space I plan to incorporate my router with the TS. The saw will have the right side of the saw with the extension table against one wall with the saw itself to the left. In other words, the saw would stick out into the room from the wall like a peninsula. I am currently considering the SawStop with 30" fence, the PM 2000 or a used Unisaw. Ideally the router would be to the left of the saw blade so that I would have easier access to it.

My dumb question is this: The SS has the motor enclosure on the right side, but the PM200 has it on the left. When I look at older unisaws there really isn't a motor enclosure sticking out, but the newer unisaws have a motor enclosure on the left. Logic tells me that a left tilt saw would have the motor enclosure on the right to accommodate the motor as it pivots to the right to allow the blade to move to the left (all moving ccw).

What am I missing?

A related issue is finding a router table that will fir the saw I choose -- especially the SS.

Thanks,

EDB

Make you own & have the fun of doing it.