PDA

View Full Version : Final Coat

Ross Lowry
11-29-2007, 10:47 PM
When someone says they hand rubbed the finish coat, what are they talking about?
Thanks

Todd Burch
11-30-2007, 12:04 AM
They mean that after the final coat cured, they used some form of polish or compound to smooth out any dust nibs or imperfections in the finish, and they did it with elbow grease instead of enlisting the aid of a power buffer.

Todd

Ross Lowry
11-30-2007, 11:24 AM
I see, what type of polish is usually used for this?

Todd Burch
11-30-2007, 11:38 AM
Dozens of kinds.

Rottenstone and pumice are two traditional abrasives that when used in suspension (like mineral oil or water) form a paste that can be used to rub-out a finish. I've used both of these on wood finishes with good results. If memory serves me correctly, pumice is more coarse (aka, more aggressive in its cutting action) than Rottenstone.

I've also used several different automotive finish polishes and rubbing compounds, both by hand and machine.

Todd

Prashun Patel
11-30-2007, 11:40 AM
I was counselled to use automotive rubbing compound and then automotive polishing compound as the final buff.

Todd Burch
11-30-2007, 11:50 AM
I was counseled to use automotive rubbing compound and then automotive polishing compound as the final buff.

That sounds like it might have been for a specific situation.

Automotive rubbing compound is VERY aggressive, and unless the film is thick enough, or hard enough, AND it warrants the treatment due to orange peel or other surface imperfections, it probably should not be considered as a "one step fits all situations" process.

Todd

Ross Lowry
12-01-2007, 7:18 AM
Thanks guys.
The finish I am looking for is a very high gloss, like a piano finish, I planned on using high gloss polyurethane.
I could acomplish this with the suggestions for this type of finish?

Todd Burch
12-01-2007, 8:33 AM
Maybe.

Different finishes are all designed with different objectives. Polyurethane's overall objective is protection, not sheen. Yes, you get some sheen.

I would suggest you locate a copy of book "Understanding Wood Finishing" by Bob Flexner. It's a wonderful book and would have answered everyone of your questions, including your next question - "what finish should I use for for maximum gloss that gives the protection of polyurethane?"

Todd

Rob Amadon
12-01-2007, 9:25 AM
As Todd mentioned Poly's only real advantage over other varnishes is abrasion resistance. The thing that makes it resistant to abrasion is that it is a (relatively) soft finish so it is hard to scratch it. The process of polishing a finish to a high gloss involves putting finer and finer scratches in the surface of the finish until a high gloss level is achieved. As you can imagine it doesn't work very well on a scratch resistant surface.

IMO the faults inherent in polyurethane far outweigh the slight advantage it has over other finishes in abrasion resistance. Making it a finish of last choice instead of the first choice, as it is with many woodworkers. The reason that it is so prevalent in the market place isn't that it is so good, it's that it is cheap to manufacture. Resulting in a higher profit margin for the manufacturer, who can then afford to pay Norm to use it on absolutely everything and the cycle continues.

Rob

Tim Sproul
12-01-2007, 12:54 PM
Thanks guys.
The finish I am looking for is a very high gloss, like a piano finish,

Try using lacquer - solvent based nitrocellulose or water based acrylic.

Try using shellac.

Try using some of the harder water-based coatings like Target Coatings 9300.

There are others but polyurethane is not the coating to choose for a piano finish.

If you are wanting a piano finish, getting a super durable coating seems counterintuitive. A piece that will get high use almost never warrants a piano finish since use equates to getting scratched. Pianos can afford the high gloss perfectly flat and even high gloss sheen because those surfaces aren't a high traffic area. That means doing the work involved with getting such a near perfect surface is worth it because it will last. It will last simply because it doesn't ever get touched other than being dusted occasionally.

I would reconsider the piano finish requirement if you anticipate the finish to see a lot of traffic.

Jerry Olexa
12-01-2007, 6:04 PM
I think you are referring to french polish. Usually, Done with shellac/DA mixture which is padded on till a medium even gloss is obtained. Then you move up and use the powder as described by Todd to get that very high gloss look. You need lots of patience but it is beautiful finish.