PDA

View Full Version : Question about older MiniMax FS30

Sue Wise
11-29-2007, 10:27 PM
I have an opportunity to buy a used Minimax FS30 Jointer/Planer for an excellent price. It is probably about 8 years old or so. When I went to look at it, it seemed like it was not set up correctly. They did not have the manual so I am not sure.

When I stood in front of it with the switch towards me, the back of the fence was facing me and not the face of the fence. Is this correct for about a 2000 model? Also is the shorter table supposed to be the infeed or outfeed?

Very perplexing. At that time, only the husband who was out of town knew how to turn it on. After I left, her father, the orginal owner, found the manual and told her how to start it. Too bad I had already left, then I could have seen which way the blades were spinning.

Any help with this would be appreciated. I am hoping to buy it on Saturday if it works well. It has had very light use so I think it would be a great buy.

Mark Carlson
11-29-2007, 10:38 PM
Sue,

The 2007 model looks like this. It probably hasn't changed much in 7 years. I hope it works out for you becuase I'd love to have that machine in my shop. Good luck. ~mark

Sue Wise
11-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Mark,
Yes, I did go to the website and downloaded the manual. I think that it has changed quite a bit. The owner did have some faxed sheets that showed the tables set up as opposite than the 2007 picture. The 2007 directions for turning it on was not any help. All of the switches were different.

Mark Carlson
11-30-2007, 12:39 AM
Sue,

How weird. I'd love to see this thing. I did a bunch of google searches but couldn't find any FS30 pictures that looked any different than the picture on the minimax website. I thought I'd find one on an auction site or something. Nope.

If you buy this machine dont forget to post a picture.

Steve Evans
11-30-2007, 7:01 AM
Sue

Did it look at all like this one

http://www.exfactory.com/detail.asp?recnum=CM-280010&prev=CM-010019&next=CM-010035&mfg=&code=&UFOBREGION=&Page=1&Viewed=1&FNListings=0&FNsubcat=0&showSpecWriter=0&numPics=5

They list it as a -350, but I think it's a FS-31

Steve

Sue Wise
11-30-2007, 8:06 AM
Steve,
No, it did not look like that one. It looks just like the new Minimax as far as the metal case, paint and logo. It has a european style guard instead of the pork chop guard.

But the setup does look a bit more like the one that is on the "literature" page. This one shows the mortiser on it. Now, tell me if I am nuts or not, but this picture also shows the back of the fence facing the on/off switch assuming the mortising attachment is on the back of the unit.

http://www.mountainprayer.org/fs30.jpg

I asked the owner if she would email the serial number to me so I can call MiniMax but she has not done this yet. This is a bit frustrating since they are nearly giving this machine away with such a low price.

Steve Evans
11-30-2007, 9:09 AM
Looks like the mortising attachment is on the front on that one, based on the location of the cutter guard.

Steve

Sue Wise
11-30-2007, 9:52 AM
Looking at the guard in the picture, for it to swing out of the way one would need to move a board for left to right. (All of the jointers I have used, you go from right to left.) Assuming the guard is attatched on the side opposite to the fence. Perhaps this is my problem. Would an older model work this way?

Roy Wall
11-30-2007, 10:09 AM
Looking at the guard in the picture, for it to swing out of the way one would need to move a board for left to right. (All of the jointers I have used, you go from right to left.) Assuming the guard is attatched on the side opposite to the fence. Perhaps this is my problem. Would an older model work this way?

No Sue, the "pork chop" blade cover in this photo will open as work is slide from R to L....it is correct.

This photo looks fine to me....I have a FS35.

The mortising table is correctly placed in front. The cutter spins clockwise as you see it in this photo. This is a front view and how the FS should look. I see the face of the fence towards the front...just as it should be too.

Sue Wise
11-30-2007, 10:23 AM
I just got off the phone with a technician from MiniMax. It looks like the one that I want to buy was put together incorrectly. He stated that the mortiser does fit on the back of that unit. On the one that I want to purchase the fence is on backwards and the guard arm is on the wrong side.

He also stated that if the tables were taken off, which I believe they were, it will be difficult to adjust them back to co-planer. He says that he works on them every day and they are a nightmare for him.

Now decision time. This sounds a bit risky not knowing if it can easily be adjusted.