PDA

View Full Version : just 2 stairs ?

simo sentissi
11-29-2007, 10:21 PM
Hey there

I need to build 2 stairs going from the garage to the house door.
an easy solution is to get the stringers from HD or home depot, but those need to be fastened to a wall. I have only 2 studs to fasten 2 stringer to witch is not enough I think. any design out there or advice on building a "boxed" set of 2 or 3 stairs, that wouldn't depend on being fastened to the wall.

I hope i made sense...

Thanks

Dave Falkenstein
11-29-2007, 11:00 PM
Simply build two or three boxes and fasten them together. I'd still fasten the assembly to the wall for safety. Each box would be the same width - the width of the tread. Each box would be the same depth - the depth of the tread. Start with the first box about 6 or 7 inches high, and make each subsequent box about 6 or 7 inches higher. The incremental height (rise) will be the total rise divided by the number of steps.

Buying stringers from HD only works well if your rise happens to be what HD sells. Modifying the store bought stringers is as much work as making them.

If you do use stringers, run a 2X between the stringers at the top and use that member to fasten the stringer assembly to the wall. Another spacer at the bottom can be fastened to the floor for ridgidity.