PDA

View Full Version : Lee Valley Drilling Kit

Rob Bodenschatz
11-29-2007, 9:52 PM
Putting together my Christmas Wish List. Any feedback on this?

http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page.aspx?c=2&p=32334&cat=4,104,53212&ap=4

Jim Becker
11-29-2007, 9:56 PM
Good stuff...especially the plug cutters. No better, IMHO.

Tom Veatch
11-29-2007, 10:06 PM
I've wound up individually buying most of the items contained in the kit at the time of need. Don't want to add up the total, but I'm sure I paid more than the kit price. Been pleased with them, but then I've never been displeased with anything I've gotten from Lee Valley.

I particularily like the design of the stop collars. I had a set that used a set screw to lock the collar on the drill bit. Threw them in the trash and replaced them with the Lee Valley set. Never regretted it.

Gary Keedwell
11-29-2007, 10:13 PM
Now that I think about it...I don't think I have any tapered drill bits. I've pre-drilled thousands of screw holes (once did a huge deck using screws) and always use a straight untapered bit. Not saying it is good or bad but just giving you food for thought.:)
Gary

Rob Blaustein
11-29-2007, 10:40 PM
I thought that if you used more modern style wood screws (like McFeely's square drive or others) that it's better to use a straight bit rather than a tapered bit. Or maybe it's just that you don't need to use a tapered bit. I can't recall. There was an article about this in FWW this past year or so.

Tom Veatch
11-30-2007, 1:01 AM
I thought that if you used more modern style wood screws (like McFeely's square drive or others) that it's better to use a straight bit rather than a tapered bit. Or maybe it's just that you don't need to use a tapered bit. I can't recall. There was an article about this in FWW this past year or so.

The tapered bit is recommended for the "Traditional" wood screws and a straight bit is needed for the "Production" screws. The terms used are per the following link from "Wood Magazine":
http://images.meredith.com/wood/images/pdf/screwchart.pdf