PDA

View Full Version : Its Brian Weick's Fault

John Hart
11-29-2007, 9:07 PM
Brian posted a picture today that I just couldn't get out of my head.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=76153&d=1196354090
I thought, "I wonder what that would look like as a vase?"

So, after work, I jetted home and cut a chunk of cherry and gave it a try. This is 9X4 and only hollowed half way down. Sort of a prototype. I figure I'll put it in my office and stare at it for a while. I'd like to hear comments on this style.
76180 76181
Brian....you're not going to sue me for stealing your design....are you?:eek:

Bernie Weishapl
11-29-2007, 9:27 PM
John that is a beautiful piece. I really like it. Nice finish. Well done.

Jim Becker
11-29-2007, 9:48 PM
"Formal" looking and very nicely executed. While this style isn't my own cup of tea, I really appreciate how it can fit into the right environment where something plainer might get lost or look way out of place.

Brian Weick
11-29-2007, 10:04 PM
that thing is beeeaaauuttiffullll! :D I love it! Man - that's nice- know that's what I'm talking about! can you see the reflection of the other hmmmm,hmmmm ~~~~"species" I was referring to, in that piece John-------"species" beautiful curves! Balissimo! (beautiful in Italian)
Nice job John- so what does your opposite "species" think- :confused:LOL
Nice job John, Nice work- :):):):D keep it coming- so, let me turn the table on you for a moment- what do you think about your piece?:confused:
Brian

Brian Weick
11-29-2007, 10:08 PM
That is one hell of a beautiful piece of architectural art John- I just fell in love- Whaaaa:eek:
Brian

John Hart
11-29-2007, 10:26 PM
No....Now tell me what you really think Brian!:D Maybe you'd like to ask it out on a date?:rolleyes:

What do I think? Well, basically I like it. Like you said...very "womanly". I don't care for my choice of wood so much. I'd like to doll her up with some accent woods in some strategic places. I even thought that some walnut with sapwood...going from light to dark, from bottom to top might look good. I also thought that it might look good lidded.

I have to think on it some more....but it is my taste, and like Jim said....it needs a special place for display.

Brian Weick
11-29-2007, 10:35 PM
shorten your stem a little- that girl can look over the fence with that neck-just slightly long, but very nice form John and great job, seriously - really- very nice, your on your way- just my point of view- but I really like that! It can be an urn/ or flower holder either way it looks beautiful- just experiment a little with paper first John ~ that's just me - I am a planer . Very nice, very nice indeed- is she available!~:eek:-LOL
Brian

Brian Weick
11-29-2007, 10:40 PM
he's a trouble maker- don't pay any attention to Jim - he's got a conservative approach to things- square- but that's OK- Hi Jim )______:D,

Oh, I'm just kidding- and he knows it ~ no I like the form , but like I said - the neck- that needs to be lowered- in my opinion.
Brian

John Hart
11-29-2007, 10:40 PM
That has more of an Urn look to it....but it works for me.:)

Ya know...the more I think about it, the more I like that. In fact, there are aspects that, if I tore it apart, there could be a dozen variations on the same fundamental design. Hey! She's versatile!!;)

Alex Elias
11-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Here I come. I'll give you a 10 for the loyal reproductiond of that paper. Very impressive. The finish looks great and the shape as peolple say is on the eye of the beholder. Personaly I'n not to fond on that form. I thin both (hollows) are a bit tall, specially the top one, I would sorthen that and the botom one if not rid of the whole thing I would find a different transition or way shorter hollow into the (swell) It has a ton of potential there, and you my friend seem to have a tom of abilities to exploit them.

Brian Weick
11-29-2007, 10:44 PM
But - I start with paper and pencil most of the time and draw it out then fold, then cut the pattern and you have a face dimensional view of what it will look like- seriously- that is half the fun- the design-:) My hat goes off to you - that, i can't wait to see more buddy!
Brian

Alex Elias
11-29-2007, 10:46 PM
shorten your stem a little- that girl can look over the fence with that neck-just slightly long, but very nice form John and great job, seriously - really- very nice, your on your way- just my point of view- but I really like that!
Brian

That is some good use of the stamp tool? pretty creative your self. What other type of bowls could you make in PS

Brian Weick
11-29-2007, 10:53 PM
no- that's just Microsoft photo editor- select crop move and thats it. nothing fancy- he did a great job on that though- really nice! :)'
Brian

Jon Lanier
11-30-2007, 12:12 AM
John,

Looks really pretty. I think it would make a great looking lamp.

-Jon

David Fried
11-30-2007, 7:53 AM
I either have that drawing or one very similar as a reference and it never occurred to me to turn it! That's great!!

I would forget about hollowing it and make a great pair of formal style lamps for the living room. Hmmm.

Very nice.

Steve Schlumpf
11-30-2007, 9:04 AM
John - first off - very nice work! Cherry, to me, always has a somewhat formal look to it when finished properly and this looks great!

You were requesting input - if you were going to turn this style for use as a lamp - I would leave it as is. If you were planning to use as a vase I would lessen the depth of the cove in the center of the piece. I find that the existing cove is a bit radical and detracts from the general curve that I would expect to see when looking at a vase. Took the liberty of modifying one of your photos - just to showcase the point.

Only a suggestion.;)

Paul Engle
11-30-2007, 10:14 AM
Nice work you guys, colabrative effort , well done. who takes it home ?