PDA

View Full Version : Bosch 4100 Table Saw

David Beeler
11-29-2007, 9:02 PM
Because I have limited shop space I have been looking at the new Bosch 4100 table saw. Tom Hintz gives the saw a good review and I like the new safety features of the saw. Other than the size are there other downsides to this saw that I should be aware of?

Thanks,
David

Larry Rasmussen
11-29-2007, 9:37 PM
it has been pretty decent. I went ahead and put an accusquare aftermarket fence on it and that has helped immensely. I really just don't like that expanding fence and don't want to spend time on set up. Anyway I will occasionally check the settings and they stay put, my main requirement. I purchased it for the same reasons as you give- light, small, portable. I believe the newer models add some niceties but keep the same table, motor and so on so my observations should apply. I'm in a hurry now but if there is anything specific you want to know I'll check the thread later. Larry

Rick Gifford
11-29-2007, 9:56 PM
I have the Bosch 4000-09. Basically the exact same saw except the 4100 is the newer model and also has the digital reader rip fence (wish I had that....).

I bought the saw because of the excellent reviews it received. I was limited on space and needed a saw I could store away when not in use and I could take with me on a job site.

Now the saw is in my new building. No more packing it away between uses. I dont have a great amount of room, the building is 11' X 20'. The saw fits well, and I can easily move it around as I need. Otherwise it sits against the wall.

The Bosch 4000/4100 are very good saws for their price range and what they are. Not an equal substitute for a good cabinate saw, but does a good job and I like it real well.

Someday I'll upgrade to a nice stationary now that I have a shop.

I am not impressed with the dust collection, just a small 2 1/2" port off the shroud on the blade. But that is standard on portables and smaller TS's. I am going to remove that shroud and enclose the bottom casing and install a 6" dust port for hookup to my cyclone. That shuld pull the dust down!

The saw works solid. I think the construction is good and have no major complaints.

Of course you are somewhat limited on table size. You won't be using this saw for ripping full sheeting thats for sure. I just saw horse and skilsaw any sheet ripping.

I'd say get the saw. being limited on size, and if you need to pack it away, this saw is probably the best your gonna find for the $500 range.

Dan Lautner
11-30-2007, 12:08 AM
The new Bosch is a great portable TS. I use it every day for construction. The Riving knife makes this thing so much safer. I rip sheets of plywood as well as tons of 2X material. The motor is not nearly as powerful as a cabinet saw but gets the job done. Good fence, flat table , super portable lift stand and did I mention the Riving knife.

Dan

frank shic
11-30-2007, 12:55 AM
the only thing that i didn't like about the bosch 4000 saw before i sold it was the rip fence which seemed to rack ever so slightly and i also wanted something that was a little bit more portable - the bosch 4000 with the gravity rise base puts it at over 100 pounds!!! the other shortcoming is the bevel lock which is almost cruelly designed to guarantee that at some point you will pinch your thumb or finger trying to release it and also swings a little too freely compared to the ridgid 2400 which can actually be dialed in gradually to get the angle you want.

i bought a dewalt 735 afterwards which has a wonderful rack-and-pinion fence which stays parallel to the blade although it doesn't have many of the safety features that the bosch 4100 boasts like the riving knife, the blade guard and the pawls which can all be individually not to mention room for adding on the digital guide in the future. if i were going to be using any portable table saw as a primary table saw, it would have to be the bosch 4100.