PDA

View Full Version : Potpourri Pots

Bernie Weishapl
11-29-2007, 7:41 PM
Well made a couple of Potpourri pots today. 2 out of spalted cherry and 1 out of walnut. Both finished with Minwax Antique Oil and buffed. The inside I put a couple of coats of poly on. They are 5 1/2" across and 3 1/2" high.

robert hainstock
11-29-2007, 7:48 PM
Always wanted to try those Bernie. Thanks for the impetus.
Bob

Mike Golka
11-29-2007, 7:58 PM
Looking Good Bernie!!

Tony Wheeler
11-29-2007, 8:09 PM
Ive been wonderen how big to make the base for these lids thnks for the pic these look real good

Andy Blackwell
11-29-2007, 8:29 PM
Excellent work Bernie and a super finish to boot.

Steve Schlumpf
11-29-2007, 8:43 PM
Beautiful work Bernie! Love the woods - great colors and great finishes!

Tony Wheeler
11-29-2007, 8:47 PM
forgot to ask you put on the oil and buffed the same day? I have not buffed anything yet but have the stuff on order should be here Monday

Bernie Weishapl
11-29-2007, 8:54 PM
I don't Tony. I leave the finish to cure for a week before I buff. I want it good and hard. Even then you use a light touch because if it gets hot it will burn right thru the finish. Don't believe me just ask me. I tried to buff a couple of peppermills this morning after they sat for 36 hrs. Well you guessed it I had to sanded and refinished.:mad: Don't get in a hurry. If you are IMHO don't buff.

Bernie Weishapl
11-29-2007, 8:55 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments. If these sell well I will probably do a half dozen more.

John Hart
11-29-2007, 9:20 PM
Pretty nice looking pieces Bernie! I hear that they do quite well in sales. Good luck!

Alex Elias
11-29-2007, 9:36 PM
First of all. Those aresome great looking pieces. I like the whole thing on them specially the shape, and that brings a question.
I was making my second bowl yesterday, only 2" deep and the shape is fairly similar. I had a heck of a time trying to make the 3/8" or 1/2" deep bowl gouge to conform to the shape to a point that I had to finish the walls with a scraper.
What tools and or technique are you using to get in the curvature with a straight tool?
Thanks for the info
Alex

Julie Tanner
11-29-2007, 9:37 PM
beautiful lookin, let us know how they sell >>

Skip Spaulding
11-29-2007, 9:43 PM
They look great! Bet they sell real fast.

Jon Lanier
11-29-2007, 9:54 PM
Pretty pretties. As my wife would say. Those look great, Bernie!

dennis kranz
11-29-2007, 10:12 PM
I like those a lot. Going to try a few sooner or later. Thanks for showing.
Dennis

George Guadiane
11-29-2007, 10:13 PM
Very Nice!

Bernie Weishapl
11-29-2007, 10:14 PM
First of all. Those aresome great looking pieces. I like the whole thing on them specially the shape, and that brings a question.
I was making my second bowl yesterday, only 2" deep and the shape is fairly similar. I had a heck of a time trying to make the 3/8" or 1/2" deep bowl gouge to conform to the shape to a point that I had to finish the walls with a scraper.
What tools and or technique are you using to get in the curvature with a straight tool?
Thanks for the info
Alex

Alex on the outside I strickly use a bowl gouge. On the inside I used my Kelton Hollowing tools. These are for hollow forms. I also have a Sorby Hollowing tool that I just leave the scraper on it to finish with. It is curved so makes it easier to finish. Hope that helps.

Alex Elias
11-29-2007, 11:15 PM
Alex on the outside I strickly use a bowl gouge. On the inside I used my Kelton Hollowing tools. These are for hollow forms. I also have a Sorby Hollowing tool that I just leave the scraper on it to finish with. It is curved so makes it easier to finish. Hope that helps.

Seems to me that a hollowing system is needed (or preffered) when turning concave surfaces, is that correct? I guess I coul'd have turn from the other side or move the head of the lathe all the way to the right.
Thanks for the tips.

Bernie Weishapl
11-29-2007, 11:25 PM
Seems to me that a hollowing system is needed (or preffered) when turning concave surfaces, is that correct? I guess I coul'd have turn from the other side or move the head of the lathe all the way to the right.
Thanks for the tips.

I much prefer them as it sure does make it a lot easier. You can do it with a scraper and moving the head may make it easier.

Ed Scolforo
11-30-2007, 6:13 AM
Beautiful pots, Bernie. Where did you get the tops and how do you consider their quality?
Thanks, Ed

Dale Gregory
11-30-2007, 7:23 AM
Very nice, I really like #3 and the combination of heart and sap wood in Walnut just really looks good.

Dale

Bernie Weishapl
11-30-2007, 8:04 AM
Beautiful pots, Bernie. Where did you get the tops and how do you consider their quality?
Thanks, Ed

Ed I get the tops from CSUSA. They have a better selection but you can get them from Packard Woodworks.

Tony De Masi
11-30-2007, 8:17 AM
Beautiful pieces Bernie. I like them a lot.

Tony

Johnathan Bussom
11-30-2007, 10:43 AM
Another masterpiece by Bernie!
Nice, I likem!
Where do i get the tops you have skillfully implanted on them????
Uh oh, looks like I gotta add to the Mrs. Clause list!

Bernie Weishapl
11-30-2007, 3:57 PM
Another masterpiece by Bernie!
Nice, I likem!
Where do i get the tops you have skillfully implanted on them????
Uh oh, looks like I gotta add to the Mrs. Clause list!

At Craft Supply USA or Packard Woodworks. CSUSA has a better selection.

Bill Wyko
11-30-2007, 8:43 PM
Once again, nice job Bernie. You always impress us.:)

Tom Sherman
11-30-2007, 10:22 PM
Very nice pots Bernie.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
12-01-2007, 9:32 AM
I like 'em, Bernie.