PDA

View Full Version : True wireless internet? Such a thing?

Clint Jones
11-29-2007, 6:56 PM
Is there any way to hook up to the internet on my laptop anywhere anytime. Im not talking about hot spots or wireless network in your home, Im talking about a service to access the internet anywhere in the US. My laptop is a newer sony vaio if that helps. Is there such a thing?? How much does it cost? Who provides this kind of service? And do I have to have a cell phone or cell service contract with the provider? I was under the impression you could just get a card for your laptop and pay a fee each month. Any help is a appreciated. -Clint

Bryan Rocker
11-29-2007, 7:01 PM
Most of your major cell phone companies offer data plans that utilize the cards that plug in to your laptop. The speeds vary widely depending on way to many variables to list here. The plans are not cheap and it will require the purchase of a card to put in your laptop. It comes down to your needs....

Bryan

Jim Becker
11-29-2007, 7:30 PM
AT&T, Sprint and Verizon all offer access cards that will work in your notebook computer anywhere their networks are functional for data purposes. (There are even some models of notebook computers that come from the factory set up to work on one of those networks) It's not inexpensive...it will run you $50-100 per month for an unlimited access plan (and that's what you want, trust me...) but gives you connectivity virtually everywhere. Currently Verizon and Sprint have the most area under 3rd generation network infrastructure and AT&T is working hard to build out their next generation network. Speed will be up to about 2mb at most for incoming packets, but often much slower, depending on location and signal strength. The best deal will often be with the carrier you already contract with for your wireless phone if you're using one of these majors as it gives you some negotiating power as well as deals offered to existing customers. (Usually requires you to re-cast your contract, however)

I don't use such a card in my notebook, but have at times, used a USB connection to my smartphone to effect the same purpose when I needed network access and didn't want to pay for a hotspot or had none available.

Tim Marks
11-29-2007, 8:08 PM
You can get USB keys or PCMCIA cards from Sprint, TMOBILE, or Verizon. Sprint/Verizon have a much faster network with much better coverage. A two year contract will run you $60/month for unlimited (sprint also offers a limited plan for $40/month). Alternatively, a handful of laptops (and UMPCs) come with a pre-installed mini-pci card internally that also gets your access. You can also do bluetooth or USB cable tethering from some phones to a laptop. This generally gives you slightly slower download rates.

I get 900 kbps download rates consistantly from my Verizon USB key, even when I only get one signal bar. It is convenient; it takes about 10 seconds to connect when the laptop comes out of standby.

More info (and better prices for equipment) at 3gstore.com and EVDOinfo.com

Brad Olson
11-30-2007, 1:28 AM
If you are on Alltel you can set up many of their EVDO phones to connect to the internet via USB or Bluetooth and use minutes instead of a dataplan. Very useful when you need to work and wifi isn't available. Just have to watch you peak usage.

Peter Stahl
11-30-2007, 4:59 AM
My daughters had Verizon and has been pretty happy with it. I think her's is about $60/month. There are dead spots just like cell phones. You also may get a better deal using your cell phone provider.

Eddie Watkins
11-30-2007, 8:45 AM
Most laptops come with a slot to plug in a card. I bought a device that plugs into a USB port on my workstation through AT&T (because they were the only service available in my area). I have noticed a significant difference in download speeds, I can actually down load updates/upgrades in a reasonable amount of time. THe downloads for web browsing are only somewhat faster. The package cost $99 with a $100 rebate and $59.99 + tax a month for a 2 year contract for unlimited access. I think the bill will be about $70 a month after taxes. We are scheduled to get hooked up to the 3G technology some time next month which is supposed to increase speeds again by maybe a factor of 10. So far, I think it has improved speeds but not even close to DSL.

Eddie

Matt Meiser
11-30-2007, 9:01 AM
I use a Sprint EV-DO card in a special Linksys router as my primary internet connection. The $60 is for existing cell phone customers. The price is higher if you don't have a phone. It works well for me.

Chris Padilla
11-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Funny story about wireless connections. I am always "internet deprived" when I visit my folks house back home in Colorado because they only have dial-up (NetZero). One day after coming back from Starbucks having used the wireless access there, I decided to do some "offline" work and so set up on the dining room table with my laptop. Low and behold, I had an internet connection!! What?!?!

A next door neighbor (not sure who) had an open (i.e. unsecured) wireless connection and my laptop found it and hopped on. I was in shock! So during my stay, I used it off and on quite a bit and had a blast. Thank you so much, "Michelle-ACER"! ;)