PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions on Fonts

Anthony Welch
11-29-2007, 6:46 PM
I'd like to print out an example of each font and place in a note book to use to show customers so they can choose what I've got available.

1-Is there a way to do this? And can it be done with a couple of words so more examples per page.

2-How do you get the fonts from Corel Draw fonts cd to Corel Draw itself?

Thanks!

George Elston
11-29-2007, 7:15 PM
Anthony

Both are accomplished in the "Fonts" control panel. Go to control panels---fonts, highlight the font you want to print out, or Ctrl-A for select all. In the file menu select print. To add fonts, drag them from the CD to the Fonts control panel.

Edit (almost forgot) IMPORTANT Do NOT add them ALL, nothing slows down a system like fonts. I have actually crashed a system by adding all the fonts from another apps CD.

Mike Null
11-29-2007, 9:19 PM
Anthony

All Corel versions that I have used (back to V8) include a great little add-in called Font Navigator. Check your program files to see if you've already installed it but just weren't aware of it. If it's not there insert your corel installation disc, search for it and install it.

Once it is installed open the help files and learn how to use it. It will make life much easier with respect to fonts in Corel.

John Frazee
11-29-2007, 9:53 PM
Just for an extra tip..... I have a display in my showroom that turns as if its on a lazy susan. It has three sides and stands about six foot tall. I cut with my Ioline each font out of vinyl I thought different customers would want and stuck them to the display. It has simple block fonts to wild and crazy ones. I cut them using the name of the font. Script is done in script- flame font done with flame lettering that way they see what it will look like and make it easier to find in the computer.

Anthony Welch
11-29-2007, 10:06 PM
Oh MY God! Just how many ways can you write the alphabet?

Don't answer that.

Please excuse me ....I've got to run to WalMart and get some more ink and paper.

Thanks guys for your prompt answers.

Mike Null
11-30-2007, 6:37 AM
Having too many fonts can cause your pc to slow considerably.

Here is an excellent tutorial advising how to keep all your fonts and speed up your system.

This is one of my favorite tutorial sites as Foster Coburn and his associates have covered many of the Corel issues that we deal with as laser operators.

http://www.unleash.com/articles/fonts/fontmanage.html

Bill Cunningham
12-01-2007, 1:51 PM
Nothing can waste more of your time, than a customer looking for "just the right font".. Years ago, I used to make the mistake of trying to impress the customer with how many fonts I had available, until I realized the customer has no idea of what they want, and many will take forever trying to discuss it with you, inadvertently trying to make their 50.00 job, your life's work!! .. If your like most shops, you have the dirty dozen you use 99% of the time.. show em those, and save hours.. Henry ford was partially right.. Give em any colour they want as long as it's black..(or one of 11 others) Those of you that have been in this business for many years, know exactly what I'm talking about.. It's nice to offer 'choice', but.........

Scott Shepherd
12-01-2007, 2:31 PM
I often get family and friend jobs where they will tell me to make something and then say "It was a cursive looking font that I really liked". Okay, what was the name of the font? "I don't know". Well, you'll have to come down to the shop and pick the font out yourself. "Why? I just want you to make it like the one I saw". Well, you saw it not me, and you can't tell me what it looks like, other than cursive that you liked, so I'm at a loss.

They often get here and I let them cycle through the fonts and they almost always say "I don't know one it is", which is when I smile, say "Welcome to my world" and then I begin suggesting ideas.

If you go to a print shop or buy anything that's lettered online, like Bill said, they usually offer up a select few and that's that.

One thing I have learned about fonts is that you really need to know what works on what material. I have some fonts I love, but they have some very thin lines on them and on various materials, they don't look well, especially if trying to run over 80%. Script is a good example. Very fine line script at higher speeds can cause issues on clarity on different materials.

Bill Cunningham
12-01-2007, 3:01 PM
Also , there are 'Display' fonts, and 'text' fonts.. Some fonts in the 'display' category should be at least 1" high before their good for anything.. some text fonts look really weird at 1 or 2 inches high, Then you have the person that leaves you a phone message that says "I've GOT have to have it tonight, but I'm out of town right now so you can't get a hold of me..I want it in a fancy script, or 'Olde English, and oh ya, make it all caps...thanks...click:eek:

Mike Null
12-01-2007, 3:10 PM
I agree 100% with Bill. Just show a dozen or so as "fonts available".

The reason you need all the others is to match up to jobs customers have previously done with other suppliers or to fonts they like to use.

Barbara Buhse
12-01-2007, 6:53 PM
Yes, pick ten or twelve fonts, each one with a different "feeling"

I have a calligraphy font, a crazy kid font, a few casual, serious, fun, elegant, script, etc.
Then just show those. Ask what type of style they like, and then tell them you'll pick something appropriate.
Too many choices and they won't be able to choose.

Barbara