PDA

View Full Version : Resawing Question

Jeff Moore
11-29-2007, 6:21 PM
I have a project to do that requires me to resaw some 4/4 cherry down to 3/8" thick stock. I don't have a decent band saw, and a new one is not currently in the budget. What I do have is an old (20+ years) Sears Craftsman 12" bandsaw. It's basically a flimsy piece of junk, but it does run. My question is this: Would it be a total waste of my time and money to get a decent resawing blade and give it a go on this saw? I'd hate to waste so much good lumber planing 4/4 down to 3/8" stock. Your thoughts?

James Phillips
11-29-2007, 6:28 PM
I have a project to do that requires me to resaw some 4/4 cherry down to 3/8" thick stock. I don't have a decent band saw, and a new one is not currently in the budget. What I do have is an old (20+ years) Sears Craftsman 12" bandsaw. It's basically a flimsy piece of junk, but it does run. My question is this: Would it be a total waste of my time and money to get a decent resawing blade and give it a go on this saw? I'd hate to waste so much good lumber planing 4/4 down to 3/8" stock. Your thoughts?

If it is a full 15/16" thick and less than 6" you can resaw it on a 10" table saw. Make one pass, flip (keep same side against the fence) and make a second pass. More waste than on a bandsaw, but not as much as planing it down...

Scott Rollins
11-29-2007, 6:42 PM
Get a good blade and you can resaw, but go slowly. If the machine vibrates as badly as my old craftsman you need to go the tablesaw route as you will waste just as much wood trying to straighten it back out.

Lance Norris
11-29-2007, 6:43 PM
Also if resawing on a table saw, a thin kerf blade will be easier on your saw and not as wasteful. Leave a small amount in the center so the 2 sides are still connected(dont saw all the way through) and finish the cut with a hand saw. Much safer this way.

Doug Shepard
11-29-2007, 6:51 PM
Why dont you put your location in your User CP profile. I'm sure there's no shortage if folks who'd volunteer to do it for you on a good bandsaw if they knew you were close-by.

Gary Keedwell
11-29-2007, 6:52 PM
Also if resawing on a table saw, a thin kerf blade will be easier on your saw and not as wasteful. Leave a small amount in the center so the 2 sides are still connected(dont saw all the way through) and finish the cut with a hand saw. Much safer this way.
I'll second that.:rolleyes:
Gary

Mike Cutler
11-29-2007, 7:49 PM

To add a little. If the board is too wide for the tablesaw. You can do as Lance outlined and then finish the cut on the bandsaw.
The presawn "halves "will give you a great guide and the amount of wood being resawn will be lessened. You'll have a fair bit of cleanng up to do on one face of each resawn board. It's still doable though.

Bert Johansen
11-29-2007, 8:14 PM
Jeff,

With the cost of wood these days I would certainly opt for a new 3/4-inch blade and give it a shot. Rockler (in certain Texas stores) is selling in-stock bandsaw blades at 25% off this weekend. Check around.

A word of caution. Don't immediately try to resaw the cherry after you install the new blade. You may have some tweaking to get the set-up ready for a good quality resaw operation. Test, tweak, test, tweak, test . . . you get my drift, but you might not get the bandsaw's drift right away. :D

Bruce Page
11-29-2007, 8:59 PM
Why dont you put your location in your User CP profile. I'm sure there's no shortage if folks who'd volunteer to do it for you on a good bandsaw if they knew you were close-by.
Yep. If your in Albuquerque, bring it by.
I did some resawing on the TS once. It scared the bejeebees out of me.

Doug Shepard
11-29-2007, 9:17 PM
Yep. If your in Albuquerque, bring it by.
I did some resawing on the TS once. It scared the bejeebees out of me.

Not to mention how surprisingly long it takes to handsaw out that middle section that the blade cant reach.

Pete Bradley
11-29-2007, 10:00 PM
You don't mention how tall a resaw, but I'd definitely go with your bandsaw. I would *not* try it with a 3/4" band - this saw almost certainly will perform badly with a band that wide. I'd go with a 3/8X4TPI thin-kerf silicon steel (aka Timberwolf), or if you're confident the machine will tension it, a 1/2"X3TPI. Don't get hung up on width. I've successfully done 13" resaws in green oak logs with the 3/8"X4.

You need to build a good resaw fence. Mine is made of mdf screwed together at a 90 degree angle and then trued&glued with inside corner blocks. You can clamp it to the table.

Pete

Mike McCann
11-29-2007, 10:17 PM
You can always use a sawsall to cut the middle once you ran both sides thru the table saw.

Jeff Moore
11-30-2007, 1:23 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. I ordered a 1/2" 3 TPI and some cool blocks and am going to give it a try. Will definitely do the test cut, tweak, test cut, tweak thing. I have some scrap set aside for that. I built a solid, tall fence this afternoon. We'll see how it goes; if I'm unable to get usable results, I suspect I'll find out pretty quick.

By the way, I'm in Kingston Springs, TN, about 23 miles west of downtown Nashville.

Greg Cole
11-30-2007, 9:10 AM
Jeff,
If you don't have any luck with your old C'man... depending on how much you need to resaw... check with a local mill or a local Creeker should be able to knock it out for a princely sum of a 6 pack of a certain beverage. If you wanna come to KC :D, I'll gladly either do it for you or letcha have a few minutes on my BS.

Greg

Justin Bukoski
11-30-2007, 11:49 AM
Use the bandsaw. I recommend a woodslicer 1/2" blade from Highland Hardware they are inexpensive and work really well.

When you go to do the resaw two things will help. Make a fence that almost as tall as the workpiece is wide. Then, draw a line down the middle of the board on its edge. THat way if you get a lot of drift you can follow the line on the board.

It goes without saying but make sure your saw is tuned up before you start resawing.

good luck!

julie Graf
11-30-2007, 12:32 PM
shouldn't be a problem at all - just go slow and practice a bit before you actually do it on the board you want. if you can. practice on the same type of wood, so you can get the feel. cherry will feel different than oak or pine or maple... you get the idea.

Ralph Okonieski
11-30-2007, 12:57 PM
I have a 30+ year old Craftsman also. It is CRITICAL to make sure it is setup square and correctly, at least for mine. If the fence is the least bit non-square to the table, the blade starts to wander and trouble begins. If I check everything before cutting and run a short sample, it does OK. My experience is with using a Craftsman blade also. A good blade as others have suggested would probably be wise also.

Ron Blaise
11-30-2007, 1:22 PM

1/2" TimberWolf blade for your 12" Craftsman. I had the same band saw and was able to resaw (slowly) hardwoods on it. Nice & straight and smooth. You will be impressed with the difference a good blade will make, trust me.
Ron

Scott Rollins
11-30-2007, 1:30 PM
I'm in Knoxville, TN and have 13" resaw capacity on my Rikon if you need help.

Dave MacArthur
11-30-2007, 9:07 PM
Jeff,
At the top of this page, find the "quick links" link, click it then "edit profile", then at the bottom of the page you can type in your location so it automatically shows up with all your posts. This can be very helpful when folks try to answer questions ;)

Rob Will
11-30-2007, 9:32 PM
A friend of mine is a pro furniture maker. For re-sawing, he makes a cut on each side of the board with the tablesaw and then finishes the cut with the bandsaw.

Use a thin kerf ripping blade and apply a light touch with a featherboard or guide block to keep everything straight. Make two or three passes across the tablesaw to get to your desired depth. Leave the center 1/4 of the board for the bandsaw.

Rob

glenn bradley
11-30-2007, 11:41 PM
I'm sorry TN is so far from CA. I have a BS that loves to re-saw. My previous 12" C-man did a slow but respectable job with the following efforts:

Took great care in setting it up to it's optimum ability = a couple of hours of my life
Cool blocks = $10
Timberwolf 1/2" blade = $20
Roller stand = $15
Shop made re-saw guide = free
Patience = priceless.

The little C-man served me well much longer than it had a right to. I would think with proper care and feeding, you should be able to get through your current requirement.