PDA

View Full Version : Garage Door - Aluminum or Steel?

Andrew Thuswaldner
11-29-2007, 4:42 PM
Anybody have any opinions on whether I should go with an aluminum or steel garage door? One contractor tells me the aluminum dents very easily and is strongly recommending steel. I am going insulated either way, looking at Garaga H-tech Plus (aluminum) or Garaga "Standard 138" (steel).

thanks,
Andrew

Chris Padilla
11-29-2007, 4:55 PM
Even steel will dent if you aren't paying attention (DAMHIKT) but I'd definately go with steel over aluminum assuming the cost-differential isn't prohibitive. I have a Clopay garage door, FWIW. Steel skins, insulated.

Rick Gifford
11-29-2007, 5:20 PM
I would go aluminum. Unless you have a basketball net in your driveway, getting dents on your garage door generally isnt an issue.

I have repaired several garage doors for friends, the aluminum holds up very well. Its lighter so easier to manually lift as well.

Now, if you have kids that play ball around the door then steel is probably your best bet besides a heavy wooden door.

My 2 cents.

Bruce Page
11-29-2007, 5:31 PM
I put some aluminum Wayne Dalton doors in a few years ago, they seem pretty tough to me and they’ll never rust. I’d be a little concerned that the extra weight of steel doors would prematurely wear the opener. I just don’t see a big advantage with steel.

Charles Wiggins
11-29-2007, 5:42 PM
Steel rusts, aluminum doesn't. I have steel siding on my house, some of which was buried by the previous owner, and is now rusted through and needs to be replaced. If it was aluminum, I could just move the dirt and clean it up and put some good paint on it.

Andrew Thuswaldner
11-29-2007, 7:31 PM
thanks guys!

I like the idea of no rust, on the other hand the basketball net is about 12 feet away....hmmmm :confused: there is always a tough decision to make.

Chris Padilla
11-30-2007, 10:39 AM
With the coatings they have nowadays, I wouldn't be concerned about the steel door rusting out. Look at the warranty the steel GD company has on their doors...ask them about it rusting out. See if that makes you feel better about steel. If not, go for the Al.

Chris Padilla
11-30-2007, 10:42 AM
Steel rusts, aluminum doesn't. I have steel siding on my house, some of which was buried by the previous owner, and is now rusted through and needs to be replaced. If it was aluminum, I could just move the dirt and clean it up and put some good paint on it.

My parents have steel-siding on their house as well. It was put on in the 80s...still fine. I'm not trying to start arguments but steel can do very well as long as it is protected correctly. My folks live in Colorado and the UV eats up the vinyl and the hail beats down the aluminum. IIRC, the company that provided the steel siding was called Paul Revere--no clue why I remember that!! ;)

Al Willits
11-30-2007, 2:06 PM
Estimate to replace dented sections of door after slight contact with trailer hitch ran about $500, both door pannels and frame are alum and both bent. (two panels)

The old steel door took more abuse and only slightly showed wear and tear, it still funtioned fine.

I think next time in our case anyway, I'd go back to a insulated steel door, they're a bit more murphy proof I think..:D

Al

Billy Jones
03-06-2018, 2:17 AM
In my opinion, you should go to aluminum garage door front a rustic background with lights wood grain, standard style are unquestionable to increase the appearance of your home base.

Charles Wiggins
03-06-2018, 6:30 AM
In my opinion, you should go to aluminum garage door front a rustic background with lights wood grain, standard style are unquestionable to increase the appearance of your home base.

Did you realize that this thread is over 10 years old?

Jerome Stanek
03-06-2018, 6:56 AM
Why do people say stuff about weight on a garage door. I installed them as a living for years and a properly adjusted door is easy to lift no matter what size it is or what it is made from. When adjusted correctly it should stay in the half up position.