PDA

View Full Version : Turning blanks in Houston

Clay Bockart
02-16-2004, 8:53 AM
Does anyone have a source for inexpensive turning blanks in Houston? I just bought a Super Nova chuck and want to try it out. So far I have only made pens. I have a Delta Midi lathe so I am not looking for huge blanks.

Also, Does anyone ever turn oak, or is it too hard. Down here we have an abundance of oak, pine, and chinese tallow trees.

Thanks,
Clay

Jim Becker
02-16-2004, 9:22 AM
Clay, in most cases, the best turning blanks come from "found wood"...found in your yard, along the road, in firewood piles, etc. You should only need to buy exotics or species not available in your area. Get to know local tree trimmers and landscapers...they are often an excellent source for great stuff, especially since there are a lot of "interesting things" that folks grow on their properties.

That all being said, Mike Mastin at Curly Woods (http://curlywoods.com/) north of you has some incredible turning stock that I've seen with my own eyes. Obviously, unless you are looking for a major road trip, you'll want to talk to Mike and order via the phone or email! He's also an SMC member and participant.