PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Square Bowl

Ron Erickson
11-29-2007, 8:52 AM
This cherry bowl is 9 1/2" diagonally by 2", antique oil and buffed finish.
This is my 3rd try at a square bowl, the last one I posted was thicker and I like the thinner look. Again, any suggestions or critiques are appreciated.

Bernie Weishapl
11-29-2007, 9:19 AM
Ron that is a beauty. I really like it. Well done.

Robert McGowen
11-29-2007, 9:22 AM
You appear to have nailed this one. Nice job!

Mike A. Smith
11-29-2007, 10:19 AM
Ron, I love it! One of those is on my 'gotta try that' list. I really like the ones that have 'legs' like this. Looks like you really nailed this one!

Steve Schlumpf
11-29-2007, 10:26 AM
This works for me! Excellent form and finish! Very nice work!

Harvey M. Taylor
11-29-2007, 10:27 AM
How did you know that I am in hot pursuit of learning to do these kinds of bowls? do you have or know where I can get a tutorial cd on the procedure? Lovely turning this. Max

Dean Matthews
11-29-2007, 10:33 AM
How did you know that I am in hot pursuit of learning to do these kinds of bowls? do you have or know where I can get a tutorial cd on the procedure? Lovely turning this. Max

There was an article in Wood Magazine about a year ago about making square bowls... Not sure if Ron did it the same way, but in the article they basically did:

Turned the "outside" of the bowl. Instead of sweeping the edge towards the headstock you actually build the rim. The you flip it around like your normally do and hollow out the bowl. Then they guy put it in big that held the bottom of the bowl steady on his bandsaw and he sawed off the edges.

Looked cool as heck. I am going to guess that Ron did it differently though.

I like Ron's... I would be afraid of busting my knuckles on that thing. =)

And I just looked up the one on Wood's online index:

Article Month Year Issue No. Page

Square-edged bowl Feb/Mar 2005 161 60

Tony De Masi
11-29-2007, 10:36 AM
I like that a lot Ron. Very nicely done.

Tony

Brian Weick
11-29-2007, 10:42 AM
that is a real cool looking square bowl- nice work! - I believe that falls under the category of a contemporary design? So what are you going to use that for? Can you use that for a salad bowl- that would look so unique on a table for dinner~just awesome, just have to make a few more and you will have a full set. Very nice work Ron! well done! :)
Brian

Alex Elias
11-29-2007, 12:24 PM
That is one awesome looking piece. Trully like the hole thing, particularly the way the legs turn and blent into the top nice graceful curve. I not into abrutp changes for the most part.

Dan Forman
11-29-2007, 3:13 PM
Very interesting, well crafted piece.

Dan

Ron Erickson
11-29-2007, 5:55 PM
Harvey, I just saw a picture of a square bowl and came up with my way of turning it. I will try to explain how I turned it. First you need apiece of dry wood all squared up and even thickness (flat work), I used 7" x 2 1/4". Glue a sacrifical block ( with a small hole in the middle ) to one side and centered on the side. Turn a tenon on the block, chuck it on the tenon, then turn the inside of the bowl and outside of the legs, all the way to final sanding. Then with it still on the chuck I turn the inside of the legs, and bottom of the bowl , from the chuck side, to final thickness when you get to the sacrifical block reverse turn the bottom of the bowl and sand. Just do NOT ever forget about the legs spinning around. Hope this helps. Ron

Dale Gregory
11-29-2007, 6:07 PM
I like it! I've been thinking about a platter in this form, but you may have swayed me to do a small bowl instead.

Dale

Tom Sherman
11-30-2007, 9:02 PM
Very nice bowl Ron, I too like the look of this piece.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
12-01-2007, 9:07 AM
I like it, Ron!