PDA

View Full Version : another try

Tony Wheeler
11-29-2007, 1:04 AM
76132 this pic of a goblet I made of hickory worked but it dont like my bowl I guess its not worth positing:confused:

Alex Elias
11-29-2007, 2:32 AM
At least you are not empty handed and have a beautiful piece to show for. Very nice shape and wood choice.
Alex

Dan Forman
11-29-2007, 3:22 AM
Tony---I see you got it at least partially figured out. Very nice goblet, delicate stem.

Dan

John Hart
11-29-2007, 5:49 AM
Neat!! Cool lookin' piece. Have a talk with your camera so we can see the bowl. ;):)

robert hainstock
11-29-2007, 6:58 AM
Very nice work. :p

Steve Schlumpf
11-29-2007, 8:41 AM
Nice looking goblet Tony! What are the dimensions and what did you use for a finish?

Bernie Weishapl
11-29-2007, 9:25 AM
Tony that is a good looking goblet. Well done. As John said post the bowl.

Ron Erickson
11-29-2007, 9:31 AM
Very nice goblet love the stem. How tall is it?

Tony Wheeler
11-29-2007, 9:37 AM
thank all you for your kind words this pic is a year or so old one one the first pic I took with digital camer and a cheap one at that i gave this goblet away as a gift as I remember the stem was 3/16 most of it and 12 in tall thanks for lokin

Brian Weick
11-29-2007, 10:00 AM
I think you did a nice job on that goblet- nice craftsmanship, why you didn't think it wasn't worth posting may be because of the the balance in the design. If you look at that nice piece of work you did , the balance is what i think you are referring to. I attached the below image so you can see what I am referring to, the base is significantly smaller than the cup in your goblet design - that is the only item I see that you may not care for. What you can do , if you want, is spin a base that is just either very slightly smaller , and I mean slightly,or slightly larger than the cup diameter - continue the same style on the base you currently have on the addition base and mount it to the smaller base ~ this will correct the balance problem. You did a great job on that and it looks great- just some advise for you ~ I have made items I was not happy with as well ,but I found out why when I started reading books on architectural pieces , then I corrected my mistakes in form and function. I learned an awful lot about the construction and styles that go into a piece and why everything seams to flow smoothly from top to bottom. Great work Tony!- I really like the design!:)
Brian

Tony Wheeler
11-29-2007, 10:48 AM
thanks Brian for the info but the bowl i was referring to is another pic of a bowl that I made that I couldnt at the time get to post as to the bottom I thought that it was a rule of thumb that the base is always smaller than the bowl in a goblet

John Hart
11-29-2007, 11:00 AM
I have a question Brian....With regard to your input on goblet bases....Do you feel that this applies only to goblets...or does the Base=Body Girth standard flow through to other vessels...or where does it stop?

This is an area of curiosity for me because I do not naturally possess the ability to create a pleasing form. I generally rely on luck or technical information to follow.... You know.....I'm an art moron.:o

Brian Weick
11-29-2007, 11:02 AM
I would have to say that the ratio should fall in line from top to bottom but not to be significantly smaller/larger ~ no matter how you look at the piece ,top to bottom or vise versa ~ that falls under flow and function of the piece.
I on the other hand prefer the base to be slightly larger than the cup. This is just something I have learned from architectural work , ie, base,column, capital ~ you don't want the base being smaller than everything above the base. there are really no rules as you know, it's a matter of guidelines and weather or not you want to fallow them or deviate and go in your own direction. I think your piece look great Tony!
Have a great Day:)
Brian

Dean Matthews
11-29-2007, 11:25 AM
I think you did a nice job on that goblet- nice craftsmanship, why you didn't think it wasn't worth posting may be because of the the balance in the design. If you look at that nice piece of work you did , the balance is what i think you are referring to. I attached the below image so you can see what I am referring to, the base is significantly smaller than the cup in your goblet design - that is the only item I see that you may not care for. What you can do , if you want, is spin a base that is just either very slightly smaller , and I mean slightly,or slightly larger than the cup diameter - continue the same style on the base you currently have on the addition base and mount it to the smaller base ~ this will correct the balance problem. You did a great job on that and it looks great- just some advise for you ~ I have made items I was not happy with as well ,but I found out why when I started reading books on architectural pieces , then I corrected my mistakes in form and function. I learned an awful lot about the construction and styles that go into a piece and why everything seams to flow smoothly from top to bottom. Great work Tony!- I really like the design!:)
Brian

Just do what I do... Make the base larger and refer to the piece as a chalice and not a goblet. =)

Your goblet looks great, Tony. I like the variations in the wood.

Brian Weick
11-29-2007, 11:44 AM
I think it is a matter of personal preference on what you like or don't like ~ I think of a woman sometimes when I am doing an architectural piece ~ beautiful curves and when all is proportionate -(attached picture) they are walking art, now if we arrange things differently- it becomes a different type of art. I just like to fallow these guidelines of form and function with certain pieces- in this case ~ goblet and or a candle holder and it always seems to work for me. But I don't do bowls/pens things of that nature, at least not yet., but when I do they will be very ornate. when architectural pieces such as window sill/shaft/(column)corbels/capital and entablature are used (attached picture)and door trimming sides and caps are implemented as trim and or support, the guidelines apply as well for me. I have studied several in-depth books on architecture of the past ( the Greeks) and understand the concepts and implement a lot of that information that I have learned into my pieces. I am fascinated with the intricate designs and craftsmanship of the past. Tony's piece looks great , i really like it ~ I was just trying to point out something to him that may help really set off his piece.
I hope this helps
Brian

Bill Stevener
11-29-2007, 12:14 PM
I think the goblet is really quite nice, more of a reflection, of ones skill and talent, rather than form and function. Everyone should try one.

What is the difference between a cove and a hollow, as noted in the sketch?
They are both volutes.

Brian Weick
11-29-2007, 12:35 PM
Bill,
I liked Tony's turning very much- he did do a great job on it,Just an FYI and I was not criticizing his work at all- I think he has done a great job on that goblet ~ it's all a matter of personal preference- there are no rules when it comes to turning and I totally agree with you. I was just trying to help with some information on architectural turnings and Identifications of sections and how it all comes together.
I believe the Hallow is the larger part of the architectural turning piece that in size; is in relationship to the swell in the form and the cove is the small area of the turning defined by stops; a fillet/bead/or v-cut in the shaft that falls above and below the cove. If any of the Coves in this diagram I posted were the same size as the Swell it would be defined as a hallow in that diagram ~ hope this helps:)
Brian

John Hart
11-29-2007, 12:56 PM
Hey Brian....I did not get the impression that you were being offensive in any way.....in fact, you've given me the impression that you are a very helpful fellow. You seem to be concerned about how your advice is being perceived....and I don't blame ya since forums can be awfully difficult to express tone and body language......so I thought I'd letcha know. Yer AOK in my book. ;)

.....it's not a big book....but it's a book.

Brian Weick
11-29-2007, 1:05 PM
Hey Brian....I did not get the impression that you were being offensive in any way.....in fact, you've given me the impression that you are a very helpful fellow. You seem to be concerned about how your advice is being perceived....and I don't blame ya since forums can be awfully difficult to express tone and body language......so I thought I'd letcha know. Yer AOK in my book. ;)

.....it's not a big book....but it's a book.

No- I was referring to Bills statement , I don't want to cause any problems, just wanted to help out ~ my concern? you are correct- I do worry about that- hard to tell the emotion through font characters and I in no means want to hurt someones feelings, not at all. I look at it this way, (not in Tony's piece) I have a very open mind and am always open to suggestions, even if I don't like what I hear- but I would much rather have an honest opinion made about my work, and it has helped me- immensely through opinions,trial ,and error- you have to crawl before you can walk- and I still crawl with certain situations ~ thanks again John- Nice Vase by the way- Very nice! :)
Brian