PDA

View Full Version : Walnut blanket chest and chair done.

Rick de Roque
11-28-2007, 11:59 PM
I finished this walnut blanket chest and walnut chair recently. This is part of the bedroom set I've been making.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=46059
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=35145
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=60298

I now just have the bed to make and I will be done. All the walnut is from those walnut trees I cut down a few years ago. The blanket chest is 45"L x 20"W x 27"T.

The chair is the first one I have ever made so be easy on the comments. It's very comfortable and designed it myself. I wanted a lighter looking chair with some curves but not too contemporary. It goes with the desk I finished a while ago. Thanks for looking.

Rick

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/rd4212/woodworking%20stuff/chest.jpg?t=1196312040

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/rd4212/woodworking%20stuff/chair.jpg?t=1196312057

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/rd4212/woodworking%20stuff/chestwithlidup.jpg?t=1196312076

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/rd4212/woodworking%20stuff/lid.jpg?t=1196312096

George Heatherly
11-29-2007, 12:12 AM
Beautiful!

Bob Vallaster
11-29-2007, 12:34 AM
Very nice figure presentation in the panels. And good board selection for the top---it appears at first glance to be a single board.

Larry Heflin
11-29-2007, 1:46 AM
Beautiful Blanket chest. I just started today on one myself and I am working from Norm's plan. I wanted to go simple because I am working with my son to make a Christmas gift for Mom. It's a first for both of us. Is this your own design or did you use a plan?

Paul Girouard
11-29-2007, 2:15 AM
Very nice work :cool:

Bob Malone
11-29-2007, 3:22 AM
Rick on both accounts you have hit a home run!

Regarding the blanket box top and panels, the walnut has been put together skillfully. Nice proportion and simple but elegant panels.

The chair is like when my wife gets a new hair style - its nice but it will take time to give me the warm and fuzzies - but I do like the chair. Did you router out the seat?

Bob

Ron Brese
11-29-2007, 6:36 AM
Wood selection and placement is a much overlooked part of making furniture, in this regard you have done very well. Both of these pieces are nicely balanced and well executed designs.

Ron

Cody Colston
11-29-2007, 7:55 AM
Those are beautiful pieces. I like everything about them; the wood, the style, the proportions..great job and thanks for showing.

alex grams
11-29-2007, 7:59 AM
very very nicely done. Are those side panels solid wood and you just slotted them in grooves in the face frames? Even on those, it is difficult to tell if it is a single or multiple pieces, if the former, then it is incredibly well matched.

If you have some more pictures of the feet and your method of construction on them, i would be interested in seeing them.

I see you have made several pieces all of the same style, it is a very nicely done set. I assume you also made the edge molding from the same stock and you routed the pattern in them.

Very inspiring work.

Todd Burch
11-29-2007, 8:21 AM
Very nice Rick. You obviously paid a lot of attention to board layout for that chest. Looks great. I see someone has already claimed it for use!

I really like the chair too. I've never made a chair. I need 8 for a table I made myself a few years ago. <shame on me>.

Good job!

Todd

Michael Panis
11-29-2007, 8:30 AM
Beautiful. As others have said--great board layout.

julie Graf
11-29-2007, 8:48 AM
i love the chair. very nice lines, great proportion. you said you did design it yourself - did you have something to work from or work from a plan?

how is the seat attached?

it reminds me of a few chairs my grandmother had - not these huge things it seems are around now. it was more petite.

Greg Cole
11-29-2007, 8:54 AM
Rick,
That's some nice work there. As said already, VERY nice job with the grain matching!!!
Can't say as I find much to say other than what's already been said here.

Cheers,
Greg

C Scott McDonald
11-29-2007, 8:55 AM
Outstanding Sir!

I will have to agree with Julie, the proportons of the chair are very nice!

Scott

Jim Becker
11-29-2007, 11:34 AM
Fabulous work!!! Those pieces are just plain wonderful. Nice job with grain matching on that blanket chest top, too...

gary Zimmel
11-29-2007, 11:41 AM
Rick

Excellent work. The whole suite is going to look fantastic.

I to agree the board layout was great.

Could you let me know what the finishing scheduel was.

Mark Valsi
11-29-2007, 11:57 AM
Where the heck did you get such a big wide piece for the top ?? amazing !

Rick de Roque
11-29-2007, 12:28 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments.

Mark Valsi and Bob Vallaster: The top is 3 boards. The center board is 11" and the 2 side ones are 4" and 5". Since I cut the trees I was able to make everything from the same tree and was able to match the boards better.

julie Graf: No plans. Just looked at a lot chairs to see what I like and the went about drawing up something than doing a mock up and playing with it till I felt I had what I wanted. I'm not a very good designer, but I enjoy the process. The seat is attached with slotted screws.

alex grams: the panels are solid walnut. The panels were cut the same as a tongue and grove then went over the edges with a 1/2" core box bit. The panels are the same thickness as the rail and stiles.The construction on the feet I used the method Lonnie Bird has in Fine woodworking. I can't rememberer the issue number. There are two ways, one on the table saw and one on the bandsaw. I have tried both and I like to do it on the bandsaw the best.

Garry Zimmel:I used BLO, shellac and Waterlox varnish as the top coat.

Bob Malone: I shaped the seat on the bandsaw then used hand planes to finish the curvature.

Thanks,
Rick

Ralph Okonieski
11-29-2007, 12:46 PM
Lot of great, positive comments. I agree with them all.

Very, very nice !

Nate Rogers
11-29-2007, 12:54 PM
They are both excellent, but I would be really proud of that chair!!! Well done

Nate

Jerry Olexa
11-30-2007, 12:05 AM
Very nice work...Love your top panel. Looks like 1 piece...Well done.

Mark Stutz
11-30-2007, 9:37 AM
Thanks for all the nice comments.

Mark Valsi and Bob Vallaster: The top is 3 boards. The center board is 11" and the 2 side ones are 4" and 5". Since I cut the trees I was able to make everything from the same tree and was able to match the boards better.

Thanks,
Rick

Foul! Unfair practice!:D:mad::D That takes all the challenge out of grain and color matching!:D Seriously, that is a beutiful chest. I can't wait to see the entire bedroom suite. Grain and color matching are probably the things that get the least thought from most of us, especially starting out, but are what really sets apart stunning work like this. Even if more expensive, trying to get boards from the same log is worth it. WELL DONE!

John Revilla
11-30-2007, 10:00 AM
Thanks for posting these Sir. Inspiring workmanship and skill. I'm grateful for the chance of laying my eyes on such beautiful pieces. Godspeed.

Rick de Roque
11-30-2007, 10:05 PM
Thanks everyone for all the nice comments.

Rick

Bruce Page
11-30-2007, 10:41 PM
Excellent! I love the grain in the blanket chest top.

Don Bullock
11-30-2007, 10:48 PM
Bravo!!!!!

Ken Massingale
12-01-2007, 7:00 AM
Beatiful work Rick.