PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
02-16-2004, 1:16 AM
Well....another weekend has come and gone and BOY...am I glad to see it GO..!!!!! OnCall duty is officially over at 8AM Monday.....After only 4 hours sleep since Friday morning....I'm more than ready for some rest.

No shop time this weekend.....as well as no sleep. :(

Other than posting the simple wooden puzzle that is REALLY cool and harder to figure out that one may think......that is all the woodworking related stuff I did.

Terry Hatfield.....I'm glad to see that you had a good time at the WW show. I sure wish I could have gone.!! :(

So what did YOU do this weekend.......

Best of weeks.......

Paul D. May
02-16-2004, 7:53 AM
Well....another weekend has come and gone and BOY...am I glad to see it GO..!!!!! OnCall duty is officially over at 8AM Monday.....After only 4 hours sleep since Friday morning....I'm more than ready for some rest.

No shop time this weekend.....as well as no sleep. :(

Other than posting the simple wooden puzzle that is REALLY cool and harder to figure out that one may think......that is all the woodworking related stuff I did.

Terry Hatfield.....I'm glad to see that you had a good time at the WW show. I sure wish I could have gone.!! :(

So what did YOU do this weekend.......

Best of weeks.......

Pretty busy weekend with 4 bball games and 2 indoor soccer games. I did get to finish LOML's cherry triple dresser. Bought some more cherry last week to build a tall chest for ME! I have never built myself a piece of furniture before...just everyone else I know! Pretty exciting....

Paul...back in action finally!

John Miliunas
02-16-2004, 8:02 AM
Pretty good weekend, actually. Friday, came home to find my new toyl waiting for me (CMS), so I started setting it up. Took family out for supper.

Saturday, checked & tested saw>>A-1!!! Commenced to cutting, drilling (while swearing at DP! Argh..) and gluing in tubes for 20 Freedom Pens. Buddy came over with a bag full of wine corks. Made him a jig and set him up on my toy BS(9" Crapsman) to cut them in half. Put a big dent in pen turning/assembly.

Sunday, had a real pleasant visit from Dave Richards and his lovely bride. :D (Hey Dave, still looking for pics on that jig for gluing up panels! <Hint, hint>) My buddy, (and aspiring WW himself) Frank, stopped over and picked up the Dewalt 705 CMS, which he purchased, as well as a few things to help assist in taking care of his aged dad. Got a couple more pens done. Helped LOML with a small shelving project in the house and watched Tye's new show (name escapes me now) on how to completely remodel an entire house in 7 days flat!

That about does it. Have a SUPER week, everyone! :cool:

Mike Evertsen
02-16-2004, 8:26 AM
I got in the shop Saturday moving news tools around
Sunday we drove my GMC pickup to meet my son (he lives in the northwoods) in Westfield Wisconsin he is getting his liscence this week and needed something to drive,,,,I'm going to miss that truck,,,I'm not going to haul as much in our Dakota,,,,
I'm off work today so I'm working in the shop today,,,,

Bob Lasley
02-16-2004, 8:46 AM
Mornin' Dennis,

I sure feel for you when you do your on call weekends. I thought slavery had been abolished?

I had a great weekend. LOML and I met friends for dinner Friday evening. When I got home, I started sizing cherry for the blanket chest. After breakfast Saturday morning, LOML couldn't think of anything she really wanted to do, so she released me from my vow of spending the entire day with her to go work in the shop. (I think the sad, mopey look on my face may have helped :rolleyes: ) So, I finished dimensioning the cherry for all the frame pieces. Yesterday, around meeting more friends for lunch and having a friend over for supper, I got started veneering panels.

The Vaccupress works great!

Have a great work,
Bob

Jim Becker
02-16-2004, 9:15 AM
This weekend I completed the last bit of work required by the new DC closet and some electrical accommodations near the lathe and bandsaw for the way the shop layout has changed.

I also got the IR compressor "installed" and broken in...unfortuantely, I have to un-install it and make a little adjustment. After the obligatory half-hour of running the motor and pump, I closed things up with a temporary quick connect (until I can get to the piping) to fill up the tank. It ran and ran and ran with no pressure gain on the guage...I discovered that the dang drain on the bottom was open...and that I couldn't close it due to restricted space between the floor and the valve. The bad news is that I have to deal with that. The good news is that it points out that I really need to install a remote drain since I don't want to raise the machine up on blocks, preferring to have it bolted to the floor as it is now. Another job for another day. But the cheap $4.00 rubber matt I put between the machine and the floor kept vibration to a minimum! Pic below of that.

Otherwise, I did some additional cleanup and organization ('was actually in the shop until 10:30p on Saturday) and got some time on the lathe as detailed in another thread. That served two purposes...getting some "stick time" with the gouge and figuring out some necessary adjustments to the position of the lathe to allow for comfortable hollowing. (I need another anti-fatigue mat for the end of the lathe...)

LOML and I watched Lost in Translation on Friday night. Saturday, she made an excellent steak dinner followed by some excellent home-made sausage on Sunday morning for breakfast. I took her out for a nice dinner on Sunday night to a micro-brew we had not yet tried in the area...it was delicious.

Eric Sanford
02-16-2004, 11:38 AM
I finally built a crosscut sled that I'd been planning to build for months. Tested it out and it worked great! Picked up some QS red oak and set it in the shop to acclimate - going to be used for a small corner cabinet for a friend at work. Also spent several hours with a hand plane flattening some cherry that will be used for a tool cabinet. My arms are feeling it today!

Eric

Matt Meiser
02-16-2004, 12:33 PM
I made more progress in my shop. I finally was able to use the tablesaw by running an extension cord and using just the small shop vac I use for the overarm guard.

Got more stuff put away and mostly made some more blast gates I need to finish the dust collection system.

Oh, and on Saturday I picked up a Lie-Nielsen No. 4 in cast iron from Woodcraft's 10% off sale.

Scott Coffelt
02-16-2004, 2:24 PM
As mentioned, went to the show in KC Friday afternoon. Dinner Friday night with Jack Diemer and Terry Hatfield, good BBQ.

Breakfest with several WWers Saturday morning and another full day of the show.

Sunday was spent being lazy and playing with the boy... and of course, watched the Daytona 500. No shop time what so ever, heck I didn't even open the bags of stuff I bought at the show. I guess that's what's in store for the week.

Mark Bachler
02-16-2004, 3:23 PM
Flew back from Zihuatanejo Mexico & slept.

Kurt Aebi
02-16-2004, 4:55 PM
Saturday! Cut annd glued up parts for another Oak End table for the living room. And finished reworking a couple of dresser srawers for a fellow at work (cheap particle board stuff - replaced with plywood).

Sunday! Planed down some Cherry & Maple to make a 3 tiered Jewelry Box for my niece for graduation. It is the finger-jointed box from Woodsmith Volume 18 Number 104.

Dennis Peacock
02-16-2004, 8:12 PM
Mornin' Dennis,

I sure feel for you when you do your on call weekends. I thought slavery had been abolished?

So, I finished dimensioning the cherry for all the frame pieces. Yesterday, around meeting more friends for lunch and having a friend over for supper, I got started veneering panels.

The Vaccupress works great!

Have a great work,
Bob

Bob,

Slavery is still alive and well where I work...at least for the team I work on.!!!! :)

Glad to here that you are working with some cherry. I have found that cherry burns really easily when machining. I've gotta learn a better feed rate for cherry.

On the Vaccupress........You got any info on it and how well do you like it? I guess I'm gonna hafta come up your way some time and see how you do that veneering stuff. ;)

Dave Anderson NH
02-16-2004, 10:20 PM
Our guild meeting took up most of Saturday so no shop time there. Yesterday and today however I got almost all of both days in the shop minus the time for a few chores around the house. I posted pics on the Neanderthal Side since what I made was a few hand tools and they aren't appropriate for posting here in electron heaven. :D

John Miliunas
02-16-2004, 10:57 PM
Our guild meeting took up most of Saturday so no shop time there. Yesterday and today however I got almost all of both days in the shop minus the time for a few chores around the house. I posted pics on the Neanderthal Side since what I made was a few hand tools and they aren't appropriate for posting here in electron heaven. :D

Dave, I went and dug out a candle and found may way over to the Neander side. :D Very, very nice work! I do have a question on the awl and marking knife handles, though: Do you shape those completely by hand? If so, that's simply remarkable! I'd have a hard time doing it on a spinny thing plugged into the electron supplier! Also, I need to ask: Do you ever sell any of your nice hand tools? I'd really be interested in one of those marking gauges. You do such beautiful work! My compliments! :cool:

Dave Anderson NH
02-17-2004, 5:57 AM
While I'm a hand tool nut, I am not an orthodox one. I do have almost half of my shop dedicated to the things with tails which eat electrons. Both the awl handles and the marking knife handles are turned on a Jet 1236 lathe. The cutting gage fences have been done both entirely with hand tools for demos at the Canterbury Shaker Village in Canterbury NH during our annual end of June Wood Days festival though this lot of four was drilled with the drill press and rough shaped with the bandsaw. As for selling, the answer is "sorta". I'm doing it on a casual basis since this is a hobby and I want to have it remain that way. PM me if you want more info so we don't violate the SMC terms of service.