PDA

View Full Version : HELP laser pro spirit will not boot up

Jerry Hay
11-28-2007, 11:09 PM
I have no Idea what happened to this. My laser pro spirit is a month old and it will not boot up. I am waiting on tech support but that can take forever so I am throwing myself on the mercy of the forums. I am new to the laser engraving biz but, I am a fast learner. This one has me stumped. My laser wont boot up. When you turn it on all it says on the lcd display is LCM Version <<5>>. I have been cranking out some work and have been busy and now I am at a stand still. I have that $500.00 A month payment looming over my head and the laser wont work. I thought I would send out a line and see if you all can help me while I wait for tech support. Anyone ever had this problem? If you have PLEASE help. I'll send you a Christmas card if you do.
Thanks in advance,
Jerry

AL Ursich
11-28-2007, 11:45 PM
Try powering down both the Laser and the Computer to let them reestablish communication with each other.

Don't have one but worth a try. Also look for the lid magnet switch. So many stories of looking inside only to find the magnet that was glued somewhere now laying in the Laser bed.

Good Luck,

AL

Frank Corker
11-29-2007, 5:13 AM
Jerry I think most lasers have trip switches that are not immediately visible (like mine - Epilog which has three in different places) it might be under a reasonably accesible area around where the power supply enters the machine. But I'd take Al's advice first which is a very solid place to start

Jerry Allen
11-29-2007, 9:17 AM
Sounds to me like a motherboard problem.
Try reseating the RAM chips.

Rodne Gold
11-29-2007, 9:21 AM
If it gets that far , it is trying to boot.
Try this , put the head at the lower right bottom corner and see if it boots up after that.
Try the Diagnostic mode when booting , I havent operated my Spirits for some time myself but it will be something like holding down AF when switching on (someone else might chime in here ) and see if it boots that way.

I have had this problem before with Explorers , it was once a motherboard and it was once the LCD display (which is the most likely problem)

Why does tech suppurt take ages? If you arent getting support from your dealer , call GCC direct and it shouldnt take longer than 24 hrs to get some sort of solution.

Jerry Hay
11-29-2007, 11:26 PM
I will give all of that a try. Tech got back to me today but they called my house instead of my shop. I was not thinking about this, The heat in my shop went out the night before this happened. I had it back on before I turned it back on though. I don't know. I will add a new post when we get it figured out.

Mike Hood
11-30-2007, 10:44 AM
Move the head as suggested and take a look around and make sure the limit switches aren't engaged. I was adjusting my table height once and inadvertently got the table high enough that the upper limit switch (right rear corner of table area on mine), was set.

This prevented the unit from booting. Good idea as you don't want something binding as it checks it's limits.

Any set limit switch (not the magnetic switches), will keep the unit from continuing self check and boot.

Darren coffell
12-01-2007, 2:22 PM
I had the same problem with mine. unfortunately we had to replace the motherboard. Of course they wont pay for anything other than regular shipping and like most of us we cant wait because we are trying to make some money to make the payments so we had to pay for express shipping. You also have to go through a few things to get the proper settings again, takes a good couple of hours to get it back again. Ours went with no warning, just one morning it wouldnt work.

Jerry Hay
12-02-2007, 11:06 AM
I was talking to tech support and I had to check the voltage from the power supply to the mother board. the red wire shows 5 volts pretty much like he said. the yellow wire showed 40 volts way off from the 15 he told me. Now I am wondering if I will need to replace both the power supply and the motherboard. I will keep ya posted when we get a fix.

Jerry Allen
12-05-2007, 7:12 PM
Yellow on a regular computer is 12V or there abouts and can be +- a volt (10%).
Generally the mother board is a computer.
It seems to me that if your measurement is correct that the power supply should be changed first as it ishould be cheaper and likely more generic than the motherboard.
Just my guess. Could easily be both if the power supply zapped something on the motherboard.

Jerry Hay
12-09-2007, 12:52 AM
It was the main board got the new one today and put it in and it works just fine.

Tom Cullen
12-10-2007, 10:28 AM
I had this same problem with my Explorer II , actually had it twice . What I ended up doing ( after new motherboards ) was buying a line converter, it stops sharp spikes and decreases in power from screwing up the mother board by regulating the flow. it's a sound investment for peace of mind. I haven't had any other related issues since.

Jerry Allen
12-11-2007, 8:57 AM
I have had a line conditioner and surge suppressor on my Mercury since day one.
I change the supressor yearly.
Although the power in my area has improved, it used to be so bad that new tv's, computers and even surge suppressors would go bad in months.
Surge supressors go bad eventually because of the way they work. Daisy chaining them helps and adds more protection. They can be used as power strips even after the MOVs go bad. A line conditioner is about $100 for a 1200 Watt. You need to check the max power consumed by the engraver before purchasing a conditioner which should be shown on the serial number label.