PDA

View Full Version : First Attempt at Segmentation

Troy Cleckler
11-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Was wanting to turn a bowl but didn't have a bowl blank and I remembered seeing an article in one of my older books that had this segmented design in it. The one in the book is much larger, about twice this size but I had to make it out of what I had. This is my first segmentation but it was so much fun and interesting that it certainly won't be my last.
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u154/tcleckler/WoodProjects005-1.jpg

Dean Thomas
11-28-2007, 10:47 PM
Nice looking piece, Troy. Apparently someone else's design since you saw it in a book, yes? (nice deductive work, eh??)

Since we can't really see the joints and such, we'll rely on your own critical eye. As you examine the joints, are you satisfied? Are they nicely closed, hairline joints?

Use of materials and contrast are very nice. Good choices.

Troy Cleckler
11-28-2007, 10:52 PM
Thanks Dean, when I first finished it you couldn't even feel the joints with your fingernail but as we all know wood is going to move and while they still look nice "hairline cracks" you can feel them when you run your fingernail over it.

Mike Golka
11-28-2007, 10:58 PM
Looks great!! I'm no expert, barely a novice, but I suspect given the length of the segments there could me more movement than in the more traditional segments. Only a guess.:confused:

Ken Fitzgerald
11-28-2007, 11:19 PM
Troy.....doesn't look like an attempt to me......Looks like a hit! Nicely done Sir.....1st or 101st! I like it.

Malcolm Tibbetts
11-29-2007, 1:14 AM
Troy, congratulations on your first; I bet it won’t be your last. As you know, wood moves, which is why consistent wood grain alignment is such a critical component of segmented work. Cross-gain joinery, especially in large dimensions will almost always cause problems later. As you design you next work, try to avoid cross-grain as much as possible. Have fun.

Jon Lanier
11-29-2007, 2:22 AM
Looks good, way to after something new.

Alex Elias
11-29-2007, 2:29 AM
It looks great. I like the desing. Not to contradict everyone else. The 3 segments in the center to me don't seem to be cross grain, by looking at the maple it seems like it is crosscut. I could be wrong or may be my eyes are lieing to me. Unless you are refering to the 4 darker sections, but they don't seem to wide to cause a problem. But since I'm no expert in bowls or segmented work I better stop here.
Very nice bowl though
Alex

Dan Forman
11-29-2007, 3:28 AM
Looks good to me, interesting pattern too.

Dan

robert hainstock
11-29-2007, 7:25 AM
Yes it is. Ain't it funny how good work just speaks for itself? Nicely done. :D

Bernie Weishapl
11-29-2007, 9:31 AM
Troy that is nicely done. I would never have guessed it was your first. Keep'em coming.

Ralph Lindberg
11-29-2007, 9:34 AM
It looks great. I like the desing. Not to contradict everyone else. The 3 segments in the center to me don't seem to be cross grain, by looking at the maple it seems like it is crosscut. I could be wrong or may be my eyes are lieing to me. Unless you are refering to the 4 darker sections, but they don't seem to wide to cause a problem. But since I'm no expert in bowls or segmented work I better stop here.
Very nice bowl though
Alex

Alex, I think Malcolm was referring to the dark (walnut?) vertical elements.
I know I have heard Malcolm beat the grain orientation drum often enough that I am a believer (like you, I'm no expert, but since Malcolm is, I listen to him)

Robert McGowen
11-29-2007, 11:50 AM
Hi Troy,

It is also possible that what you feel is the glue that you used. It can sometimes "creep" out of the joints and can be felt several days after you finish your work. It can be caused by a change in humidity among other things. You might try lightly sanding it again. Good luck with your work.

Bill Wyko
11-29-2007, 10:25 PM
WOW Troy that's top notch. Very, very well done. I like the pattern and the form.

Tom Sherman
11-30-2007, 9:24 PM
Troy I have not done a segmented piece yet and am no expert but I do like your design and execution. Very nice.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
12-01-2007, 9:22 AM
Beautifully executed, Troy! That's a wonderful piece.