PDA

View Full Version : Need jig ideas.

Kerry Smith II
11-28-2007, 9:37 PM
I need to make some jigs. I have a 48"x48" table. I was thinking of just making a frame with jig faceplates that can be changed in and out depending on what I need. I am also debating between a fullsize jig or a half jig.

Any ideas/pointers are appreciated.

thanks

Bruce Volden
11-29-2007, 6:38 AM
It would be nice to have more info. I have MANY jigs that I've made over the
years that enable me to engrave bats, knives, pens, badges, gunstocks......on and on. I guess what I'm saying is one jig won't do it all, for me anyway.

Bruce

Frank Corker
11-29-2007, 6:54 AM
I agree with Bruce. I have several different jigs which are basically pieces of acrylic shaped like the article that I want to engrave. When the time comes, I just drop whatever it is, a pen or whatever and engrave it. If you regularly engrave pens of a certain size then you could always do them in rows, say three rows with three different styles, but you would be restricting yourself on the number you can engrave at any one time.

Bill Cunningham
11-29-2007, 8:54 PM
I agree with Bruce. I have several different jigs which are basically pieces of acrylic shaped like the article that I want to engrave. When the time comes, I just drop whatever it is, a pen or whatever and engrave it. If you regularly engrave pens of a certain size then you could always do them in rows, say three rows with three different styles, but you would be restricting yourself on the number you can engrave at any one time.

Ya and they have a tendency to collect, and multiply.. And sure as heck, when it comes time to thin out the collection, the first one you will need in the future, will probably be the first one you threw out!.. My wife calls me a packrat!!

Daryl Barberousse
11-29-2007, 9:25 PM
What is the basic way to construct a jig?

For instance.....a knife. Do you trace the outline, scan it, then turn it into a raster or vector file?

Bill Cunningham
11-29-2007, 10:58 PM
Have a look at this thread started by Darren Null

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=69760

It will answer a lot of your questions

Daryl Barberousse
11-30-2007, 9:38 AM
Thanks Bill......that answered my question.