PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Walnut Vase Thing

John Hart
11-28-2007, 8:24 PM
Ok...There's a dispute. My family seems to think that this is not a vase. I think it's a vase...but they think it should be called something else. Any ideas? It's hollow and has a vase mouth and throat and it stands up. Anyway...they think that it's too nice to just call it a vase. Whaddaya think?

Anyway...whatever it is....it is salvaged firewood. I managed to find a section in a badly checked cherry log for the body and the walnut is this dazzling burl that was hidden away in a knot of a grungy slab that I was cutting up for the woodstove. 5" diameter by 11" tall. Sprayed a little lacquer on it. (hic):o

tim mathis
11-28-2007, 8:32 PM
i would call it gorgeous. it looks great

Paul Heely
11-28-2007, 8:38 PM
Looks good John. I think when they are that nice you have to pronounce vase as vaz, as in rhymes with oz. Either that or its a vessel. Whatever you decide it is nice.

Christopher K. Hartley
11-28-2007, 8:41 PM
Unbelievable!!! It is fantastic whatever it is!:)

Skip Spaulding
11-28-2007, 9:27 PM
Great looking fire wood. You might want to consider another form of heat if all your fuel comes out that good!

Alex Elias
11-28-2007, 10:10 PM
I agree with your family as far as being beautiful. Also I agree with you thinking that it is a base. Like anything else there are ugly bases and great looking ones like yours.
Congrats,
Alex

Bill Bolen
11-28-2007, 10:14 PM
Don't know what they would call it, but I would like to call it MINE!
Bill

Bernie Weishapl
11-28-2007, 10:20 PM
Don't know either John but it is beautiful. Well done.

Dean Thomas
11-28-2007, 10:52 PM
If the hole goes all the way through, it's a shawm! Add a reed and make noise.;)

Looks good. Wish the darks were a little lighter so that we could see that burl and get a bit dazzled. I could use a good dazzle tonight...

Mike Golka
11-28-2007, 11:00 PM
Most interesting form, I want to pick it up and toot it!!:rolleyes: Great looking piece:D

Steve Schlumpf
11-28-2007, 11:06 PM
Very impressive John! You're the artist - if you say it's a vase - it's a vase! Beautiful woods, great colors, unique form and a really nice finish! Couldn't ask for anything more from a vase, a vessel, a musical instrument or whatever! Nice work!

Tom Sherman
11-28-2007, 11:28 PM
John I think it looks like it needs more fogging with lacquer;)All kidding aside I think it is great.

Richard Madison
11-28-2007, 11:47 PM
If "they" assert that it is not a "vase", it becomes "their" responsibility to designate what, in fact, it is. Perhaps it is a "thingy", in which case it appears to be an extremely nice "thingy".

Brian Brown
11-29-2007, 12:06 AM
John,

You can call it a vase if you want. I call it art. Very nice looking piece, and great contrast from the wood choices.

Brian

Jon Lanier
11-29-2007, 1:06 AM
If it's not a vase how about, "Gabriel's Horn." :confused:

Glenn Hodges
11-29-2007, 9:07 AM
John anything that pretty is a vaase, and is to pretty to put anything into it because the beauty of this vaause would detract from a flower or what ever. Did you get the idea I like it?

John Hart
11-29-2007, 9:29 AM
Well, as usual, ya'll are too kind.:) Although...I kinda like it m'self. ;)
I do need to work on my curves a bit more....but then...if I did everything perfect, there'd be nuthin' to learn.;)

So....we're looking at Vaz, Vahse, and Vaase.....Then there's Horn, Gabriel's Horn, Tommy's Little Tooter....and, of course...Thingy.

Hmmm...so many choices.:)

Ken Fitzgerald
11-29-2007, 10:14 AM
John.....that sure is a pretty double-handled hollowed bonker!

Mike A. Smith
11-29-2007, 10:30 AM
A really beautiful piece John.

I like Paul's suggestion of vessel, I think that covers anything with a hole in the top.

Pete Jordan
11-29-2007, 11:43 AM
Great job John!
It does remind me of something.........

John Hart
11-29-2007, 12:00 PM
I just spit Dr. Pepper all over my keyboard.:D

I like Larry!!!

Pete Jordan
11-29-2007, 12:10 PM
Nothing better than a good spit take!

Brian Weick
11-29-2007, 12:14 PM
Very well done John- that looks great! I like the form and choice of wood you used~ very well done!
Brian:)

Rich Stewart
11-29-2007, 1:20 PM
I really like the looks of it...minus the base. Minus the base it looks like a vase. Then you could use the base to become the top of another vase. Of course, then it wouldn't be so unique. Love your finishes.

John Hart
11-29-2007, 1:50 PM
Thanks again fellers...:) Just so ya know....I'm leaning toward Vessel.
That really struck me well. Although Larry the Cucumber was a real close second.;)

I really like the looks of it...minus the base. Minus the base it looks like a vase. Then you could use the base to become the top of another vase. Of course, then it wouldn't be so unique. Love your finishes.

Now, Rich...this is why I'm concerned about foots.

Over in another thread, there's this ratio thing being discussed about the base of a goblet, that I have trouble grasping when I'm turning. I don't want to get rid of the ideal of the base so I have this dilemma about its diameter. If I go too wide, it looks like a Duck...If I go too narrow...It looks like an Ostrich. Maybe I should just quit thinking so hard about it.:confused:

Nancy Laird
11-29-2007, 3:15 PM
Yep, John, just quit thinking so hard. This is a vessel, this is gorgeous!!!! This is true art. and I'm so jealous that I could scream.

Nancy (22 days)

Rich Stewart
11-29-2007, 7:30 PM
That's what I'm saying. If you hold your hand over the base it has a very pleasing shape. Anybody able to figure out that ratio without the base?

robert hainstock
11-29-2007, 7:54 PM
or maybe a scwinnenflut. jn anycase you built it you name it. very nice piece of work under any name. :D
Bob

Paul Engle
11-29-2007, 8:51 PM
If you guys are gonna argue over it , I'll just take it home and call ..... for dinner ....:D

John Hart
11-29-2007, 9:29 PM
Ok...it's settled. The family has approved "Vessel".....plus I have to add descriptive stuff in front of each one for uniqueness. Perhaps, for this one, it could be Wood Vessel....or maybe Shiny Vessel......Cucumber Vessel?

Hmmm...more work to do on the name.:confused::)

Thanks again for all the comments.:)

Bill Wyko
11-29-2007, 10:22 PM
John thats georgous. You'll have to call it a vaaaazzz:D

Tom Sherman
11-30-2007, 9:21 PM
I know exactly what to call it, a JOHN HART ORIGINAL, and I'ld be proud to have it on my SMC display top.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
12-01-2007, 9:09 AM
I'm with Tom on this one, John. It's an original. Beautiful work!