PDA

View Full Version : Gloat Warning, Mayo Lite on order.

Dale Gregory
11-28-2007, 7:31 PM
Well, you probably saw my earlier post on what lathe to buy. It's a done deal! Jet 16-42 EVS 2hp on order tonight. I will have to patiently wait now for the delivery (14 working days), so it should be a nice Christmas present.

It will give me some time to run 230v to the area I have for it. Does anyone know if it comes with a plug? If not, do you know what no. or style it takes? I'll have to get a 1x8 to 1-1/4x8 adapter for my Nova Midi chuck if they make one.

Thanks to all for your informative feedback, you guys swayed me to the Mayo Lite. Would have loved Mustard if I had another grand to spend, but after looking at a 15" diameter circle I think this will work great!

Dale

Christopher K. Hartley
11-28-2007, 7:37 PM
Cool Dale, I'm excited for ya man!!:)

Raymond Overman
11-28-2007, 8:00 PM
Thanks for the push Dale... mine is on the way too. Congratulations.

If you ordered it online make sure you follow up on the site. Mine had a note that there was a problem with the order and when I called they said they wanted to verify the shipping address.

Allen Neighbors
11-28-2007, 8:25 PM
Congratulations on your new lathe! You'll be turning again before you know it. :)

Paul Heely
11-28-2007, 8:36 PM
Congratulations Dale. After reading about you and Raymond, and fighting to rough out a bowl on the mini I feel the vortex pulling stronger than usual.....

I don't know about the plug but you can probably download the manual from the Jet website.

Don't forget the pictures when you get it.

Brian McInturff
11-28-2007, 9:07 PM
Way to go !! I know you are excited. Have loads of fun with that baby.

Thomas Loftus
11-28-2007, 9:35 PM
I'd had this Jet in my Amazon cart for a year, but your thread and the great deal from Rockler sucked me in! Thanks to everyone for the great discussion. It will be a very merry Christmas for me and my boys! Tom

John Hart
11-28-2007, 9:46 PM
Geez....Jet's having a hay day!! Congratulations Dale!

You too Tom!!:)

Tom Steyer
11-28-2007, 9:50 PM
Congrats to you new 1642 owners. It does not come with a plug - just go to the borg, and get a matching plug and outlet (or a plug to match your existing outlet). With all my larger power tools, I like to install a switch box between the outlet and the machine. This saves having to unplug the power when doing maintenance or changing accessories on the machine, and also provides a "panic" shutoff. In the case of my 1642, I recently converted my switch box to a double, and installed a second switch for my 220v Gast vacuum pump, pulling the power for both the lathe and the pump off of the load side of the first switch. For 220v you will need double-pole single-throw switches. Have fun with the new iron.

Bernie Weishapl
11-28-2007, 10:24 PM
Congrats on the new lathe Dale. Oh and congrats to you Raymond.

Steve Schlumpf
11-28-2007, 11:13 PM
Congrats Dale on your new lathe! You will love it! Looks like the mayo-lite club is growing as a fairly fast rate! Looking forward to seeing the pictures!

Dan Forman
11-28-2007, 11:38 PM
Congrat's all around on the lathes, I've heard nothing but good things about them. I also heard that the large Jet lathes are going back up in price in the new year, so your timing is very good.

Dan

Pat Doble
11-28-2007, 11:55 PM
Congratulations Dale. Looks like alot of us are waiting on new machinery.

Jim Becker
11-29-2007, 11:07 AM
Very kewel!!!! Congratulations!

Steve Kubien
11-29-2007, 4:52 PM
Enjoy the new toy. A good Christmas indeed. I believe you can get an adapter for your midi chuck at Penn State.

Steve Kubien

Dale Gregory
11-29-2007, 6:13 PM
Thanks guys for the nice words!

As far as the chuck goes, I see some lathes or adapters have set screws so the chuck doesn't unscrew when using reverse. I've been told the best way to sand is in reverse, does that mean I need an adapter with set screws? They are a bit more expensive, $55 at Craft Supply vs. non-set screw adapters at Penn for $19.

Dale