PDA

View Full Version : Electrical

John Keane
11-28-2007, 7:10 PM
A couple of Thanksgivings ago a water pipe broke in my attic and flooded the bathroom ceiling before I turned the water off. Ever since then I have had a problem with the flourescent fixture. (48", 2 bulb). It seems that ever time my daughter takes a shower the light decides not to work. I just found this reason out. I have known for awhile that it was tempermental; working sometimes and not another. I just didn't know the reason. Yesterday I disassembled the fixture, checked out the wiring, had solid 120, reassembled the fixture making sure all of the connectors were tight. If moisture in the bathroom is the problem how do I insulate the light fixture against that. I am also considering a new exhaust fan.

Chris Padilla
11-29-2007, 1:10 PM
You checked all metal connection points? Not knowing the fixture itself, but seems to me if moisture is the culprit, it needs to be sealed. Fluorescents don't get hot or even warm so sealing it shouldn't be a big deal. Exhaust fans are always a good idea in bathrooms...just make sure yours is working well.

Tyler Howell
11-29-2007, 1:24 PM
As Chris said where lamps make contact with socket may have oxidation.
With power off you can try burnishing the contacts. Bath fixtures aren't that $$$.
May be time for a replacement.

Rob Russell
11-29-2007, 4:52 PM
When the pipe broke, water could have leaked down the wall into your switch box and corroded some of the connections inside the bathroom wall. Granted, copper really doesn't rust ... but it's a thought. Did you check ALL of the wiring from the switch through to the fixture or just the wiring at the fixture?

Jim Becker
11-29-2007, 5:41 PM
I agree with Rob...check ALL the connections. If something is loose, it may move a little as current flows and heats the wire, etc...and that light is probably on a long time if a young gal is in the shower...LOL