PDA

View Full Version : nail gun for furniture construction?

Rick Cicciarelli
11-28-2007, 6:12 PM
I'm just curious how many of you guys use a brad nail gun for putting together furniture like I see Norm use all so often on NYW? I'm definitely more a newbie when it comes to wood working, but I would think that classic joinery would be a better approach, but it seems like Norm is using the nail gun quite a bit when assembling cabinetry etc. Just curious about thoughts and input.

Gary Keedwell
11-28-2007, 6:22 PM
I'm just curious how many of you guys use a brad nail gun for putting together furniture like I see Norm use all so often on NYW? I'm definitely more a newbie when it comes to wood working, but I would think that classic joinery would be a better approach, but it seems like Norm is using the nail gun quite a bit when assembling cabinetry etc. Just curious about thoughts and input.
You might want to go back a few days because we just had 2 threads about Normy.:)
Gary

Rick Cicciarelli
11-28-2007, 6:31 PM
I read most of the "ugliest furniture" and "most impressive episodes" threads. I was simply using Norm as a reference to see if others typically use a brad nailer as much as he does in assembly of cabinetry, or if they use more conventional joinery for furniture.......

Brad Peterson
11-28-2007, 6:33 PM
In my opinion, depends upon your focus. You said that you are a "newbie". Are you more concerned with getting things square, getting things flat, getting used to tools, getting something done? What is the aim? What is wrong with some brads to hold a glue joint while it dries - on your project? Do you have enough clamps otherwise? Would you rather do some other form of joinery? I think that you have to answer these questions. If you don't know the answers yet, I would say that some brads to hold the drying joints are just fine. If you are trying to take the TIME at this point to build keepsake pieces, then by all means study and try some various other joinery methods and then apply the ones you like to your pieces.

Just my $0.02.

Brad

Craig D Peltier
11-28-2007, 6:54 PM
I use a gun for speed often. 23,18 and 16 gauge and occasional staples.

Vernon Taylor
11-28-2007, 7:26 PM
Like others have said depends upon your focus and needs. My take on this is that I am building something that will meet reasonable expectations for the purpose intended. If for instance a biscuit joint will serve the purpose I will use that or alternativly pocket hole screws. I am perfectly willing to use what modern technology has to offer ,I am trying to build something that meets the need usually furniture items for the grandchildren and I expect these to survive much longer than the partical board from Wally World. I do not expect my pieces will ever wind up in a mueseum but enjoy building them. Use what you feel comfortable with, I think our forbearers would have used a brad naier if they were avaiable. Just my 2cents.

Todd Burch
11-28-2007, 7:36 PM
I have multiple nail guns. Multiple staple guns too. Many, many hammers as well. I use them all, when nails or staples are called for. The joinery needs drive the need for nails (or staples) or not. Of course, I build more things than fine furniture too.

I like to think of nails (or staples) as disposable wire clamps. I'm not using them for structural reasons, but to hold things in place while glue dries.

Classic joinery does not call for nails. Not every piece needs to have classic joints. Even on classic pieces, trim was most likely nailed on, as were backs and interior, non-showing pieces.

Todd

Jim Becker
11-28-2007, 7:49 PM
I will use a gun when it's the best way to do something, but generally don't do it in visible places on furniture. For some of my recent cabinetry projects, 15 gage nails were used in some of the carcass construction and in two instances I had to use a few brads for practical reasons in minimally visible areas. But I do try to avoid them when I can...which is most of the time.

Norm did use brads a lot earlier on...it happens.

frank shic
11-28-2007, 7:53 PM
i would not use brad nails on furniture or on freestanding cabinets with exposed ends but for built-ins and kitchen cabinets, why not? it sure does beat trying to handle the cabinet with the cumulative weight of all those clamps!

Thom Sturgill
11-28-2007, 8:55 PM
For adding a plywood back, brads or nails are appropriate. While famous for dovetail joints on drawers, the shakers were even known to occasionally nail them together, and probably would have used a brad nailer if it had been available.
However, I question their use to hold glue joints 'while drying'. After reading the article on glue ups in FWW # 194 and the discussion on clamping pressure, I do not think you are going to get a strong joint by gluing and nailing when using PVA glue. It might work OK with other glue types.

Todd Burch
11-28-2007, 9:40 PM
However, I question their use to hold glue joints 'while drying'. After reading the article on glue ups in FWW # 194 and the discussion on clamping pressure, I do not think you are going to get a strong joint by gluing and nailing when using PVA glue.

I have not done any formal tests myself on the strength of my nailed on glued on trim as of late, so perhaps the bond does not achieve 100% of its potential in terms of possible strength.

However, I am certain the bonds I am getting are plenty strong enough for what they need to do. None have failed yet.

Todd

Rob Will
11-28-2007, 10:01 PM
I use all sorts of nail guns but would try to avoid using them on traditional furniture.

Rob

Brandon Shew
11-28-2007, 10:09 PM
i would not use brad nails on furniture or on freestanding cabinets with exposed ends but for built-ins and kitchen cabinets, why not? it sure does beat trying to handle the cabinet with the cumulative weight of all those clamps!

I agree with what Frank said. In Fine furniture, there is no place for brads - period.

In cabinetry - go nuts with the nailer.

frank shic
11-29-2007, 12:55 AM
In cabinetry - go nuts with the nailer.

just watch where you place your fingers - i've had nails blow through the sides barely missing mine!

Bob Genovesi
11-29-2007, 8:44 AM
It really depends on what type of furniture I'm building and where I might need a nail or staple. I never use nails on an outer or exposed surface.

Pneumatic nailer's have a place in my shop, most definitely!

Bill White
11-29-2007, 9:11 AM
I heard a bit of an elitist say "carpenters use nails, while craftsmen use joinery". Well, I gotta tell ya, my nail guns are part of my arsenal, and will stay that way. I guess that makes me a "carpenter". So be it. I don't use a sharp rock to cut up food either. Want any more opinions (he he he)?
Bill

Greg Narozniak
11-29-2007, 10:40 AM
I have multiple nail guns. Multiple staple guns too. Many, many hammers as well. I use them all, when nails or staples are called for. The joinery needs drive the need for nails (or staples) or not. Of course, I build more things than fine furniture too.

I like to think of nails (or staples) as disposable wire clamps. I'm not using them for structural reasons, but to hold things in place while glue dries.

Classic joinery does not call for nails. Not every piece needs to have classic joints. Even on classic pieces, trim was most likely nailed on, as were backs and interior, non-showing pieces.

Todd

Very Well Said Todd, I agree!

Robert Goodwin
11-29-2007, 11:12 AM
I heard a bit of an elitist say "carpenters use nails, while craftsmen use joinery". Well, I gotta tell ya, my nail guns are part of my arsenal, and will stay that way. I guess that makes me a "carpenter". So be it. I don't use a sharp rock to cut up food either. Want any more opinions (he he he)?
Bill

There are always at least 2 camps in anything people enjoy.

Baseball – AL (DH) vs NL (No DH)
Software Development (My Day Job) – Java vs .NET
Beer Brewing ( another hobby ) All Grain vs Extract

That’s what makes discussing these things fun. I tend to fall in the middle of most of these discussions. Use what works for you. I use a nail guns on projects where it makes sense to use them. This is a hobby for me, so I want to spend the extra time to go pure joinery, I can.

Michael Short
11-29-2007, 11:51 AM
Robert,

Good analogy. I think you hit the nail on the head there.

Question is did you use a hammer or nail gun. LOL !!!!

I love these forums because you get to think about the other side of the coin and make the best choice that fits you. It is great to see that everyone is will to share the information.

John Gregory
11-29-2007, 1:08 PM
I too agree with Robert. For most of us it is a hobby, practice your hobby in whatever way you enjoy and produces items that you are proud of.

Furniture makers in the 1700s and 1800s did woodworking as a job, NOT a hobby, life was tough then and hobbies were rare. I am sure these woodworks would welcome the power tools we enjoy today. These tools would have made their job easier.

And yes I do use nails when appropriate and where they do not show. I hate seeing filled nail holes if they can be avoided. Sometimes a nail will keep the pieces aligned while the clamped glue joint dries.

Paul Johnstone
11-29-2007, 1:25 PM
just watch where you place your fingers - i've had nails blow through the sides barely missing mine!

Just last weekend, I got a 1 3/8" pin pulled out of the bone of my finger.
Luckily, it was a headless pin . It was easier for the doctor to just pull it all the way through..

frank shic
11-29-2007, 1:40 PM
paul, don't feel too bad. i shot a 1" brad that i thought was only 5/8" into my finger a couple months ago but i was fortunately able to pull it out without further problems. LEARN from your mistakes. i'm slowly building an ENCYCLOPEDIA at my current rate of errors!

Jack Hogoboom
11-29-2007, 3:27 PM
I am not anxious to wander into this minefield. However, the illustrious Chris Schwarz recently published an article (either PW or the Woodwork Magazine blog) extolling the virtues of using nails in fine woodwork and pointing out the prevalence thereof in period furniture....

Prior to reading that, I had the same bias against nailing, but he's knows a lot more than I do.....:rolleyes:

Jack

Mike Henderson
11-29-2007, 3:38 PM
I don't have anything against a nail gun - I own a couple including a staple gun. The reason I don't use it in fine furniture is that I don't like the nail holes showing - no matter how you fill them, to me, they still show. But anywhere else, including places on fine furniture that won't show, I'll use them. I especially use them for quick things around the shop - jigs and stuff like that.

I'm pragmatic - and I think our woodworking ancestors were also. Use what will get the job done and produce the final results you are looking for.

Mike

Bob Childress
11-29-2007, 4:25 PM
Nail guns are your friends! But don't like them showing on furniture, so avoid exposed nails when possible (unless it's to be painted, which I don't like but family often insists).

I have about 5 guns but the one I truly love is the pin nailer. Almost no hole showing. Staples are great for 1/4 inch cabinet backs. :)

Chris Barnett
11-29-2007, 8:47 PM
Norm the neophyte will remain a neophyte, not to the degree that David Marks is a neophyte, but a neophyte nonetheless, until he can handle a pneumatic from each hip :D. Kidding...really love them both.