PDA

View Full Version : What wood to pair with purple heart?

Brian K McDermaid
11-28-2007, 5:52 PM
I'm going to be building this jewelry box for my wife..

http://www.lostbyte.net/tmp/gemofabox.gif

(Plans (http://woodstore.net/gemofjebox.html))

I have quite a bit of 4/4 purple heart left from another project i was going to use in place of the curly maple... but i cant think of a good wood for the accents.

Should i just go with Wenge? What would you masters recommend?

~Brian

Justin Bukoski
11-28-2007, 5:59 PM
Maybe zebra wood...

Gary Keedwell
11-28-2007, 6:23 PM
How about maple and purpleheart?

Gary

Doug Shepard
11-28-2007, 6:29 PM

Gary

Took the words right outta my mouth.

Nancy Laird
11-28-2007, 6:30 PM

Gary

Took the words right outta my mouth.

And mine. Before I even read the rest of the responses, my first thought was maple.

Nancy (23 days)

Charles Wiggins
11-28-2007, 6:30 PM
I'm going to be building this jewelry box for my wife..

I have quite a bit of 4/4 purple heart left from another project i was going to use in place of the curly maple... but i cant think of a good wood for the accents.

Should i just go with Wenge? What would you masters recommend?

~Brian

I have a coffee table that a friend made as a wedding gift that's maple and purple heart. We love it.

Gary Keedwell
11-28-2007, 6:47 PM
I just made an end grain cutting board with maple and purpleheart and it looks rather nice.:)
Gary

John Kali
11-28-2007, 6:56 PM
lace and purple heart look quite nice together...sorry thats the biggest pic smc would let me attach.

Bill Wyko
11-28-2007, 7:28 PM
:)You might do quilted maple or Holly. Holly can be very albino looking. It might make a nice contrast. Myself, I'd do the main wood as the lighter color and the trim in the PH.IMHO:) BTW That's a nice looking jewelry box, I might do that one too for the LOML.

Ron Jones near Indy
11-28-2007, 7:32 PM
Bill beat me to it. Holly would be nice as would figured maple.

Don Bullock
11-28-2007, 7:43 PM
...Myself, I'd do the main wood as the lighter color and the trim in the PH...

I agree with Bill. To my eye the flat areas should be nicely figured wood like the picture you posted surrounded by the purple heart. Now if your purple heart has great figure that might be different.

josh bjork
11-28-2007, 8:47 PM
I've seen maple and PH paired together quite a few times. I'd try a wood with more visible growth rings like red elm.

Robert Waddell
11-28-2007, 9:41 PM
Yellowheart and Purpleheart go well together. Maple trimed with a narrow band of wenge on the top and drawers with purpleheart legs would also be a great combination also.
Rob

Jack Briggs
11-29-2007, 8:12 AM
Birdseye maple!!!

http://www.briggsguitars.com/www/images/5001%20027.jpg

Michael Merrill
11-29-2007, 10:52 AM
another vote for some type of maple, tiger or birdseye would be great, but I would go mostly maple with purple heart accents. I built a all maple occasional table with a purpleheart inlay border, looks pretty good.

Brian K McDermaid
11-29-2007, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the help... I should have said my wife isn't a big fan of maple :o.

She went ga-ga over a quick little purple heart 'treasure box' my 5 year old and i made (he needed something to keep nifty rocks and dead bugs in)

http://www.lostbyte.net/tmp/purplebox.jpg

My original plan was to use PH for the majority of the box and find a nice dark wood for the accents.

But now I'm leaning towards something light, warm and yellow-ish like canarywood and use the PH for the accents... It may come down to what the lumberyard has in stock :confused:

Gary Keedwell
11-29-2007, 11:01 AM
another vote for some type of maple, tiger or birdseye would be great, but I would go mostly maple with purple heart accents. I built a all maple occasional table with a purpleheart inlay border, looks pretty good.
I personally think purpleheart plays better in a supporting role where it really shines.

Gary
Edit Somehow my post got on before you posted your box....of course your box looks great.: >)

Nancy Laird
11-29-2007, 11:17 AM
Brian, LOML built me a set of living room tables (4) and lamps (2) that are natural oak with purpleheart accents. They sure look good. IMHO, purpleheart always looks better with a light-colored wood.

Nancy (22 days)

Timothy Aiken
11-29-2007, 7:06 PM
I second the vote from BE maple and PH. Our whole house is trimmed with BE and PH with Cherry and birch as well. BE Maple looks great with it.

Ralph Barhorst
11-29-2007, 7:20 PM
Highly figured quarter sawn sycamore would look good.