PDA

View Full Version : Question about circular saws

Paul Williams
11-28-2007, 12:55 PM
It is time to retire my 30 year old Craftsman saw. I am looking at the 324/325 Mag and 423/424 Mag saws from Porter cable. I have two questions.

The electric brake seems like a good idea. Do you think it is worth the $20 additional cost?

I have never considered that they make left and right hand saws. I am right handed. I normally stand on the cutoff side of the panel when cutting sheet goods, and on the "to be used" side of a board when cross cutting. If I purchased a left hend saw, when cutting sheet goods more of the weight of the saw would be supported by the sheet (a good thing), but the blade would be towards me. Is this a safety issue and the reason they make right and left hand saws? Does anyone use a left hand saw right handed in the way I described, and how does it work for you?

Any comments about the Porter Cable circular saw line or suggestions about where to get the best price would also be appreciated.
Thanks
Paul

Steve Dewey
11-28-2007, 1:03 PM
a left hand saw in your right hand makes it easier to see what the blade is doing.

I have the LH PC sidewinder with brake - one of the better circ saws you can get (except for the festool). I try to position the saw & the work such that the weight rests on the "keeper" side of the wood.

Rod Sheridan
11-28-2007, 2:32 PM
Like tape measures, most of us own the wrong handed circular saw.

My brother bought the matching pair of Porter Cable saws, it is really nice to be right handed and use the left handed saw, better balance, better visibility. It's nice to have both, depending upon which direction you're cutting.

Regards, Rod.

Greg Cole
11-28-2007, 3:29 PM
I have to have my "right" handed version of a circ saw. Way to used to it now, I find myself wanting to use a leftie saw with the left hand just to I can see the cut line (kinda like trying to throw a ball with my left hand...."spaghetti arm"). Both my tailed & cordless are for righties, and the Milwaukee 28V cordless has a brake which I like alot as that one is dragged around the house, roof, ladders etc etc etc. Having the blade stop in about one second is nice when working in a precarious postition, and it's AMAZINGLY light. Also it's nice to bring along when procuring sheet goods if you don't intend on using full size sheets... I rip or cross cut in the parking lot to make loading easier when I can.:D
My other is the venerable Skil #77, heavy as sin, powerful as hell and about bullet proof. I used to complain (umm, to myself anyway) about the weight, but the mangesium lighter ones are jumpier with the motor torque on spin up.

Greg

Paul Williams
11-28-2007, 8:59 PM
Thanks for the input. I asked my left handed friend about his saw. It was blade right. He pushes it with his left hand and complains about getting sawdust thrown in his face. Any of you using the left version of the porter cable having that problem.

Stan Welborn
11-28-2007, 9:26 PM
Thanks for the input. I asked my left handed friend about his saw. It was blade right. He pushes it with his left hand and complains about getting sawdust thrown in his face. Any of you using the left version of the porter cable having that problem.
I have it, and no I don't have that problem. But I use a vac on it also. Not sure if it would if I didn't.

I used blade right saws for years and when I got the LH version it felt awkward the first few times I used it. Now if I tried to go back I'd probably have to go through the same awkward feeling again. No plans to though. I really like the blade left now that I've gotten used to it. Oh and I'm right handed if that matters.

David G Baker
11-28-2007, 11:37 PM
I am right handed and got spoiled by my Ryobi 18 volt saw that was a lefty so I purchased a Skil worm drive lefty. Haven't used it yet but I am sure that I will have a sore arm for a while when I do.

Jason White
11-29-2007, 6:39 AM
I had the newer Porter Cable (blade-left) saw. I thought it would be good for me because I'm left-handed.

I hated this saw. Plenty of power, but it had problems. The blade-guard would stick in the open position ("fixed" due to a recall but spent 2 months in the shop and when I got it back it was beat to hell and missing a blade). Also, the "wrench-less" arbor nut would occasionally get stuck and was hard to get off with just my fingers. Also, I couldn't get it to track staight against a straight-edge and ended up trying to bend the base plate into alignment. Also, the dust-port would get clogged with sawdust and you couldn't rotate it unless to stuck a screwdriver in there and muscled it around. I sold the saw after about a year.

Check out the latest issue of Fine Homebuilding. There's a great review on worm-drives and hypoids. I have the Bosch 1677M and absolutely love it! I really appreciate the heavy weight of the saw when I'm doing long rips on plywood against a straight-edge. A lot of people complain about the weight, but it helps guide the saw and lessen the chances for kickback, even if the wood pinches behind the blade.

Jason

It is time to retire my 30 year old Craftsman saw. I am looking at the 324/325 Mag and 423/424 Mag saws from Porter cable. I have two questions.

The electric brake seems like a good idea. Do you think it is worth the $20 additional cost?

I have never considered that they make left and right hand saws. I am right handed. I normally stand on the cutoff side of the panel when cutting sheet goods, and on the "to be used" side of a board when cross cutting. If I purchased a left hend saw, when cutting sheet goods more of the weight of the saw would be supported by the sheet (a good thing), but the blade would be towards me. Is this a safety issue and the reason they make right and left hand saws? Does anyone use a left hand saw right handed in the way I described, and how does it work for you?

Any comments about the Porter Cable circular saw line or suggestions about where to get the best price would also be appreciated.
Thanks
Paul

Pat Germain
11-29-2007, 10:52 AM
I have a PC lefty framing saw and absolutely love it. I bought it about ten years ago, so I'm not sure how closely it resembles the saws currently on the shelf. Mine has a bolt which holds the blade on.

I bought the saw initially because I'm a lefty and, at the time, it was the only lefty saw on the shelf. I didn't have to order it. I make cuts both left and right handed and find the saw works well either way.

I've never run into a situation where the saw didn't have enough power. It cut through old railroad ties like butter which I think is a pretty good test.

Just a few days ago I connected the saw to a Shop Vac for the first time and it worked quite well. Obviously, not all of the sawdust ended up in the vacuum, but it got almost all of it.

I personally don't like worm-drive saws. Thus, for me, the PC framing saw was a good choice.

Dave MacArthur
11-30-2007, 9:43 PM
Similar question and maybe helpful to Paul--Why would you buy the worm drive saws? I've never understood what one type offers over the other?

Pat Germain
11-30-2007, 10:17 PM
^^ Wormgear saws have a reduction gear instead of being direct drive like a standard framing saw. The reduction gear provides more torque at the blade. The reduction gear also adds extra weight, which some people like for stability.

As I mentioned, I don't really like wormgear saws, but for lots of folks, they're the bees knees. :)

Peter Quadarella
11-30-2007, 11:12 PM
I recently bought the Makita 5007MGA and like it a lot. I do think it's worth spending a bit more and getting a brake.

glenn bradley
11-30-2007, 11:21 PM
Its a beautiful saw and I would spend the little bit extra for the brake. If you do find the shoe needs adjusting, just shim it, don't try to bend it.

josh bjork
11-30-2007, 11:45 PM
I also have the lefty PC and had it for a few years. I'm honestly suprised so many people seem to have lefty saws. It works well for my limited use. It works good for cutting ply sitting flat on a bench. My only gripe is that I bump/step on/abuse the thing too much and the blade moves out of 90 fairily easy but maybe that could be adjusted. It rides kind of low and it works a lot better if your "fence" that you clamp down is 8" wide or so and then you don't run into the clamps with the saw body.

The lefty saw really sucks when it comes to framing type stuff though, for hacking off 2x4's I really want a right hander. Not really important in a woodshop full of saws but it has occurred to me a number of times. Good luck shopping. I am sure there are a number of good saws out there.