PDA

View Full Version : Recent Project: Cherry End Table

M Smith
11-28-2007, 10:17 AM
I finished this about a month ago and am finally getting around to getting pictures up. This is made entirely out of cherry (save for the drawer bottom). I did not make the legs, but the rest came from cherry that my father had in his basement for probably 50 years. Because my father had had the cherry for so long, I was very nervous about messing it up! It probably took me about six months from start to finish, primarily because I didn't want to rush anything. Kids, work, and other more grown-up responsibilities always seemed to get in the way during that period.

Anyways, here it is. Comments/critiques welcomed. The top was joined using a biscuit joint, as were all the other joints. I'm still a newbie and don't have any of those cool tools (Festool, etc.) yet. This is my first project with "moving" parts. It is by no means perfect, or even close, but I'm still pretty happy with the way it turned out.

Regards,
Mark

Roy Wall
11-28-2007, 10:24 AM
Mark -

Nicely done indeed! Very cool using your Dad's wood - it does make it more personal and you should be proud of your work - I'm sure Dad is too!

Love the underbevel........

alex grams
11-28-2007, 10:26 AM
very nice, i like the simplicity of it.

Bill White
11-28-2007, 10:45 AM
Mark, your project looks good. Don't get tangled in the thought that Festool will make you a better woodworker. It seems from your pics that you are well on your way without them. Learn to work well with what you have. The tools will sometimes make the work go faster, smoothter, etc., but not always better.
Stay at it. Your respect for the old wood will serve you well.
Bill

Bob Oehler
11-28-2007, 10:46 AM
Very Nice Work
It looks like you did a wonderful job on the table.

Good luck with your future projects.

Take Care
Bob Oehler

Gary Muto
11-28-2007, 11:02 AM
Nice work. I wouldn't admit to any mistakes. Enjoy it.

Frederick Rowe
11-28-2007, 11:02 AM
Don't get tangled in the thought that Festool will make you a better woodworker. It seems from your pics that you are well on your way without them. Learn to work well with what you have. The tools will sometimes make the work go faster, smoothter, etc., but not always better.Amen. Bill hit it on the head. Nice work on your table.

frank shic
11-28-2007, 11:15 AM
nice job, mark! what is the drawer joinery?

M Smith
11-28-2007, 11:21 AM
Thanks everyone! You're too kind. There are a few mistakes, I was told not to admit to them :D. (fortunately they're hidden).

nice job, mark! what is the drawer joinery?
For the drawer, I used a drawer lock bit. I didn't think to get a picture of that joint, unfortunately (actually, it would reveal a mistake!). I used a bit similar to this one: http://www.grizzly.com/products/Drawer-Lock-Bit-1-2-Shank/C1330

Mark

Greg Cole
11-28-2007, 11:30 AM
Mark,
Looks good. Love the aged cherry..... Using something with personal significance makes the project that much more special and fun.
The craftsman is his worst critic and sees things others will never notice.....
Ditto what Bill said in regards to not having top end tools.... once you get some confidence in your skill set it's amazing at what can be done with little. Don't get caught up in thinking top end tools make up for by passing the hands on experience and using well set up "middle of the road" tools.

Greg

Sean Kinn
11-28-2007, 11:46 AM
Nice Job Mark. I'm building two of these right now as my first pieces of "fine" furniture. You mind sharing some of your dimensions? I know it helps me with choosing pleasing proportions since I'm still new at all of this.

leg size -
top size -
apron size -
overall height -

I'm going by some measurements that othe Creekers were kind enough to share. Legs are 1 1/4 square at the top tapering to 3/4 at the bottom, tops will be 18 x 18, aprons are about 4 1/2 to 5, overall height is about 26 1/2.

M Smith
11-28-2007, 12:08 PM
Nice Job Mark. I'm building two of these right now as my first pieces of "fine" furniture. You mind sharing some of your dimensions? I know it helps me with choosing pleasing proportions since I'm still new at all of this.

leg size -
top size -
apron size -
overall height -

I'm going by some measurements that other Creekers were kind enough to share. Legs are 1 1/4 square at the top tapering to 3/4 at the bottom, tops will be 18 x 18, aprons are about 4 1/2 to 5, overall height is about 26 1/2.

Sean, thanks very much. I'd be happy to share the dimensions on my table. I'll measure it when I get home tonight and send them too you. It was a fun project. My father was pretty impressed when he saw it, and both my parents are really into antiques, so I was happy with his kudo's.

Mark

Jim Becker
11-28-2007, 3:40 PM
Very nice! Similar to the Thos Moser version I like to build and a very useful table in so many places.

As you asked for comments, I'll suggest that it's a good idea to play with the boards you'll make your tops from to work on minimizing the "joint" between boards from a grain and color perspective. The obvious exceptions to this are when you want the differences or if the nature of the material will not allow it...in those cases, you'll sometimes emphasis it instead. (narrow figured maple is a good example of when folks will celebrate the differences intentionally because the must) For this table, "maybe" flipping the current rear board around and then making that one toward the front would give you a closer grain and color match between the two boards, making it appear more like a single, wide board. But this is NOT criticism...just an observation and a thought.

Greg Cole
11-28-2007, 4:50 PM
Norm errr Jim makes an excellent point. "Playing" with your wood before you glue it is essential, or laying out boards to match grain, color etc before cutting parts from them. And to paraphrase something I gleaned from Jim is "stock selection is the first step in the finishing process". I find myself saying that now before I select a species for a project, nevermind the actual boards.
I've spent more time arranging boards for a curly maple for a top than I spent making the top.....and finishing it.
This hobby is an endless road of trials & tribulations... a never ending quest for perfection that's never (or very rarely) obtained. Every project is a challenge and usually more of a challenge than the last. Least thats my theory.... 'cause I've never made anything close to perfect and I keep finding myself in the shop!

Cheers,

Greg

Lori Kleinberg
11-28-2007, 5:38 PM
Looks very good. I think you did the cherry justice.

M Smith
11-28-2007, 6:28 PM
Very nice! Similar to the Thos Moser version I like to build and a very useful table in so many places.

As you asked for comments, I'll suggest that it's a good idea to play with the boards you'll make your tops from to work on minimizing the "joint" between boards from a grain and color perspective. The obvious exceptions to this are when you want the differences or if the nature of the material will not allow it...in those cases, you'll sometimes emphasis it instead. (narrow figured maple is a good example of when folks will celebrate the differences intentionally because the must) For this table, "maybe" flipping the current rear board around and then making that one toward the front would give you a closer grain and color match between the two boards, making it appear more like a single, wide board. But this is NOT criticism...just an observation and a thought.

Jim,

Thanks very much for your comments. They are taken as intended, and you're right -- minimizing the differences is ideal. With the wood I had to work with, however, I did the best I could. Those were the only pieces wide enough for the top, and I did play with the orientation to minimize, as best I could, the differences. The pieces I had to work with were smaller pieces, and the top actually came from two difference boards. But, still a very valid observation!

Mark

Don Bullock
11-28-2007, 7:32 PM
Mark, that is a very nice table. I've made a similar one and it, as with yours, provided a good learning experience. Now, take what you learned from this project and the next one won't take as long or be nearly as difficult. Most importantly, enjoy working with the wood.

Tom Kelley
11-28-2007, 7:40 PM
Don't appologize for biscuits. I made all my workshop cabinets using the Porter Cable biscuit tool. That was 5 years ago and they are still together and looking good. I am NOT knocking the domino but I have had no problems with biscuits. Pat yourself on the back. The table looks great.
Tom

Jack Camillo
11-28-2007, 8:26 PM
Mark, good job. You don't need the fancy tools. They only add speed, and not craftsmanship. Keep it up, America needs more craftsmen.

M Smith
11-28-2007, 9:23 PM

leg size -
top size -
apron size -
overall height -

I'm going by some measurements that othe Creekers were kind enough to share. Legs are 1 1/4 square at the top tapering to 3/4 at the bottom, tops will be 18 x 18, aprons are about 4 1/2 to 5, overall height is about 26 1/2.

Hi Sean,

I just got a chance to measure the table for the dimensions you asked about.

Leg size: 1 1/2" square at top tapering to 3/4" at bottom
Top size: 19 x 19
Apron size: 4 1/2
Overall height: 26"

Hope that helps.

Mark

Dave MacArthur
11-29-2007, 12:45 AM
Great table. This is the second "clean lines" project I've found myself liking a lot tonight!