PDA

View Full Version : Amazon just cancelled my Delta 20-959LX drill press order

Bryan Hunt
11-28-2007, 9:50 AM
Like some of you, I ordered the Delta 20-959LX about a year ago, and I just received an email from Amazon stating they have cancelled my order. If you go to delta's web site, the 959LX is nowhere to be found. I guess delta killed the product.

So I'm back to searching for a drill press. Does anyone have any suggestions for a press with comparable features to the 959LX. I'm mainly interested in quill travel, and a woodworking friendly table. I read the review on the Powermatic and wasn't impressed:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=47379

Bryan

Bruce Benjamin
11-28-2007, 11:11 AM
You were willing to wait a year for a drill press??? Wow! That drill press must have really held some promise of greatness. I"m not trying to be a pain, I'm just amazed that something as relatively basic as a drill press could be so much better than it's peers that you would plan that far in advance and that it could be worth waiting for. What were the features of this DP and what were you planning on drilling with it? My old Craftsman drills round holes, holds the bits tightly, and doesn't bog down in metal or wood. The only thing I wish it had was a longer plunge length and an easy to adjust depth stop. But it pretty much does anything I ask of it.

Bruce

Ralph Lindberg
11-28-2007, 11:20 AM
I noticed it was missing from the Delta site last week... but didn't think anything of it since I was researching the 17-959L.
The 20-959LX is still referenced in the 17-959L data.

There have been rumors that Delta is having issues getting the 20-959LX out the door.

While the stroke of 6 inches would be nice, the higher price of the 20 was enough, I got the 17 last weekend and so far I am pleased with it

John Zee
11-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Can't you find a good used one somewhere? Here in So Cal I see them all over. There's a shop around the corner that resells machines of all kinds.

Lori Kleinberg
11-28-2007, 1:04 PM
After a bit of research and recommendations from other woodworkers, I ordered the Steel City DP. It has a decent table, 6" quill travel and a 5 year warranty. Also if you buy now their is a free laser :cool:. Only problem is finding one in stock/delivered to my home :rolleyes:. By the way I do not work for SC, just am looking forward to using their drill press.

Note: As some may remember I ordered mine from ToolKing sometime ago for a really good price with shipping :D, but they don't have any in stock yet and neither does my Woodcraft store :mad:. I am not in that big a rush since I am still working on Christmas presents :eek:which could have used a drill press, but I was able to drill freehand. There are a few other places I could probably order from, but the shipping is a killer :eek:

Cary Falk
11-28-2007, 2:11 PM
I went witht the Steel City 17" and love it. It has 6" quil travel but not a woodworking table. The 20" Delta had quite an impressive list of features if I remember: 6" Quil travel, VS, digital RPM readout, Woodworker friendly table, and laser. Doesn't the 20-950L have everything the 959XL had except the digital readout? If you are not impressed with the PM your only other option is the Delta's to get the tables. the 17" Delta's have a shorter quill travel then the 20". Buy the SC and put a Delta table on it.:D

Rob Will
11-30-2007, 2:19 AM
The only thing I wish it had was a longer plunge length and an easy to adjust depth stop. Bruce

On top of those things the Delta also has:

20" capacity:D
variable speed:D
laser guidance:D
digital readout:D
and a large t-slotted table:DThe Delta does not have the same power and precision of my milling machine, nor does it compare to my Walker-Turner radial arm drill in reach. Besides those two machines, I also own two basic drill presses - one floor standing, one bench top model. Having said that, the new Delta DP looks like a very well equipped machine and I too have ordered one for my WW shop. I really hope that Delta comes through with the 20-959LX.

Here's what Delta says:
"This is our first entry into the digital world on our equipment. We put all of our product designs through very stringent testing in order to insure the best precision and accuracy. We are having issues with this design, therefore have not released it for manufacturing. We expect to be able to release this drill press into production in late 2008 or early 2009."

Here's a link to the Delta site:
http://www.deltaportercable.com/uploads/PCD/Documents/News/20070606142741_PW-Drill_Press_Insert_07.pdf

Rob

Jeff Wright
11-30-2007, 9:01 AM
I am very pleased with my Steel City 17 inch press. I added a Woodpeck table and the laser drill guide. I also was going to get the Delta, but gave up waiting about a year ago. I don't miss the electronic speed control gizmo. The speed changes are easy enough to make manually. For half the price it was a better move in my opinion. That may be partly the reason Delta does not seem to be moving ahead with theirs.

Tony Augruso
11-30-2007, 9:06 AM
Delta 20-950? It's the same machine without the laser and digital readout.

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=15684

I bought mine 2 weeks ago and it arrived last night. I bought it from a local store during their midnight madness sale.

The Delta rep said they were having problems with the digital readout and it was going to be difficult to resolve. He said not to expect the 959LX until mid to late next year. The Delta 20-950 is the identical machine without the extra electronics and he said it was shipping, so I ordered it instead.

I'll be assembling it tonight.

Tony

Eddie Darby
11-30-2007, 2:12 PM
It's possible that Amazon is not going to go over a year. They still have it listed at their site:

http://www.amazon.com/DELTA-20-959LX-20-Inch-Variable-digital/dp/B000HX1400

I would wait for Delta to release the News before coming to the conclusion that it's not going to be made. If they don't, then that would be very irresponsible of them.
Delta's web-site is always way behind the times.

Jay Lillie
12-01-2007, 11:57 AM
I ordered the drill press from Hechinger, they took my money and I didn't get the part!! I contacted Delta and I received their repaly. I'm sending you there reply as an attachment.

Jay

Bryan Hunt
12-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Rob, thanks for the update.

Tony, I've looked a bit at the 950 and I might consider going that route. Though, I might regret not holding out and getting the digital depth gauge. :)

I have a Craftsman benchtop that get's me by so I'm not in a huge hurry to upgrade.

Brent Bagley
05-16-2008, 12:52 PM
FWIW, I've been following with interest the introduction of this new DP,
but a recent inquiry to Delta resulted in this response:

Hello Brent, and thank you for your interest in Delta Machinery. I regret that we have decided not to manufacture model 20-959LX. This tool will not be introduced into the market after all.

The 20-950 (without all the digital bobbles) still looks pretty good, but they
seem to be delayed until mid-summer at this point.

Eddie Darby
05-16-2008, 10:50 PM
That's too bad, because they had a real winner on their hands!
I wonder why they fumbled the ball!
Let's hope that that is the only fumble!

I see that Amazon still has it listed at their site, but marked as:

"Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

I went to see the price of the 20-950 at Rockler and ran into this:

"Please Note: This item is on backorder until late June, 2008."

Drats!

Jeff Wright
05-16-2008, 10:55 PM
I gave up on the Delta over a year ago after drooling over it at the Atlanta International Woodworking show. It's got to be an outrageous example of mismanaging customer expectations. It's like they are all asleep at the switch at Delta. I opted for the Steel City 17-inch drill press and have not been disappointed. Much less costly, even once I added the Steel City laser light systme and a table from Woodpecker. I don't miss the auto speed adjustment feature. It's easy enough to change speeds using the manual belt changing procedure. I love the 6-inch quill travel. I'll have this press for the long haul.

John Callahan
05-17-2008, 11:18 AM
Fwiw some 20-950's did make it to market. Saw one at Acme Tools in Plymouth, MN earlier this year.

Eddie Darby
05-17-2008, 2:31 PM
Fwiw some 20-950's did make it to market. Saw one at Acme Tools in Plymouth, MN earlier this year.

Are you talking about the digital version, or the other non-digital version?:confused:

Eddie Darby
05-17-2008, 2:36 PM
It's got to be an outrageous example of mismanaging customer expectations. It's like they are all asleep at the switch at Delta. I opted for the Steel City 17-inch drill press and have not been disappointed.

If I was Delta I would overcome this embarrassment since it puts out a message of overwhelming internal problems. :eek: This is just a digital gauge we are talking about, not putting a man on the moon.

Wixey have been doing this for woodworking machines for years.
Maybe Wixey can come up with something for drill press depth drilling.
I figure that the speed reading is more internal than what an add-on could do.

I like the Steel City drill press as well. The split head allows for adjustment of the bearings, so this machine will be able to maintain it's accuracy over the long haul! Nice choice, now if Steel City would only come up with a 20" model!

John Callahan
05-17-2008, 3:52 PM
The non digital which is the 20-950; the 20-959LX with the digal readout was cancelled before it ever got to market. Not sure exactly what's going on with Delta/PC but they seem to be in a bit of turmoil with product delays and cancellation and ending production of some of their best products like the PC Model 100 and 310 routers, 126 door planer, and 503/504 belt sanders.

Matt Meiser
05-17-2008, 4:10 PM
Not sure exactly what's going on with Delta/PC

Three words: "Black and Decker" :mad:

Eddie Darby
05-18-2008, 4:10 PM
Not sure exactly what's going on with Delta/PC but they seem to be in a bit of turmoil with product delays and cancellation and ending production of some of their best products like the PC Model 100 and 310 routers, 126 door planer, and 503/504 belt sanders.

It's called insanity!:D

J. Greg Jones
05-19-2008, 5:57 AM
Wixey have been doing this for woodworking machines for years.
Maybe Wixey can come up with something for drill press depth drilling.

From what I have heard, Wixey is working on a digital drill press depth gauge. I would assume that it will work with, or replace, the external threaded rod stops that are common on many drill presses.

Vic Damone
05-19-2008, 11:19 AM
At the Sacramento wood show a few weeks ago Delta had banners of the 20-959 hanging but he only display machine was the 17" model. When the sales person asked if I was interested, I said, Yeah I'll pay cash for one of those in that picture. He smiled and said that the company had problems sourcing the variable speed electronics and that the press would not be released.

"Why, then are you still advertising it," I asked? He looked at me as If I were simply joking around. I informed him that I was one of their customers that paid in advance for the press that never materialized and tide up my money for months.

For all the whining about SawStops delay of their contractor saw, at least IT was plugged in and on display.

Porter Cable DeWalt Delta whatever your name is, good bye.

Vic

Greg Karol
05-19-2008, 5:10 PM
I think I must be seeing something else that maybe others are missing. Yes I agree that still advertising a product not a good idea, but I would much rather see a company not put a product on the market if it isn't right then just put some junk out there.

Considering the current reputation of delta tools I see this as a good thing, even if it does mean we may never get that drill press.

Eddie Darby
05-19-2008, 7:22 PM
Why would anyone in their right mind spend money advertising something that they don't have?:confused:

Seriously, think about the harm that has been done to this company by tying up customers money, and rising their expectations, only to have them left out in the dark, guessing about what is going on. This seems like a good way to bury a company.:eek:

They mismanaged the product in the first place, and then they have mismanaged 'damage control'.

What's next?
-------------------------------

"He smiled and said that the company had problems sourcing the variable speed electronics and that the press would not be released." :)
-------------------------------

This is a joke, we live in the age of throw-away computers! Odd that no one else seems to be having these problems. Someone call the animal rights people, we have a lame duck here! :rolleyes:

If a company says it will be offering a product for sale, then it needs to make what it says happen or it's 'Word' is no good!
Step up to the plate and go to bat for the customers for a change instead of all the excuses. That just might make some customers and stockholders happy.:D