PDA

View Full Version : Size of a babys rattles.

Chris Rosenberger
11-28-2007, 6:53 AM
When my kids were born over 20 year ago, I made a rattle for each of them on the lathe. At the time I made them to the minimum diameter spec. for toys. Now my wife wants me to turn a rattle for our first grandchild whom was born in September.
Does anyone know what todays minimum diameter is for baby toys?

Russ Filtz
11-28-2007, 7:24 AM
The standby measurement is nothing smaller than the diameter of the cardboard tube of a toilet paper roll. Make it a bit bigger just to be safe. Not sure if there are any laws governing such gifts since you are not "manufacturing" for sale.

Rick Gifford
11-28-2007, 7:41 AM
Looked this up before and hand it on hand. I plan to turn my grand daughter a rattle as well.

Requirements for Rattles, 15 C.F.R. Part 1510

http://www.cpsc.gov/BUSINFO/regsumrattle.pdf

In a nut shell, if any part of a rattle can fit into a cavity with a diameter of 1.68" and a depth of 1.18" it is considered dangerous.

I plan to make one with an end that is 1 3/4" round and the handle will have a "disc" at the end that is the same diameter. Think of a goblet foot...

This will prevent any part from getting into the mouth and down the throat. Dunno about your grandson, but my granddaughter (born last October) puts everything in her mouth! Last thing we need is a choking hazard.