PDA

View Full Version : Chuck wobble...

Jonathon Spafford
11-28-2007, 2:25 AM
Man, I haven't posted in a while... been soooo busy. Anyway, I've been doing a bit of turning lately and I've been noticing that my talon chuck has a bit of wobble. It isn't horrible, but it is noticeable. I just noticed it so I don't know how long it's been this way. I put my collet chuck onto the lathe just to make sure it wasn't the spindle and it ran true.

Anyone have a similar problem or have any ideas how to fix it???

Philip Duffy
11-28-2007, 5:59 AM
I had that problem with a Nova chuck a few months ago and resolved the issue by getting a new thread insert. Worked for me. Philip

Dale Miner
11-28-2007, 7:44 AM
When I first put my Talon and the adapter together, there was about .015" runout of the rim of the chuck. After finding the high spot, the three adapter mounting screws were loosened, and retightned with the thought in mind of bringing the high spot closer to center. The run out was brought down to less than .003".

Do loosen the screws and perhaps unseat the adapter a bit before trying the above. Getting a broken screw out could be a challenge.

I put a bit of light oil on the O.D. of the adapter before mounting into the body of the chuck.

Later,

Dale M

Jonathon Spafford
11-28-2007, 12:05 PM
I put a bit of light oil on the O.D. of the adapter before mounting into the body of the chuck.

"O.D."????

Brian Weick
11-28-2007, 12:09 PM
OD- Outside Diamiter I am guessing
Brian

Dennis Peacock
11-28-2007, 1:47 PM
OD- Outside Diamiter I am guessing
Brian

Or it could be: Oscillating Defibulator :rolleyes: :D

EDDIE GLAZE
11-28-2007, 3:15 PM
what make of chuck?

joe greiner
11-29-2007, 9:10 AM
Try loosening the jaw screws, close the chuck sort of snug but not tight to place the jaws in proper positions, then tighten the jaw screws. I don't have a Talon, but I've heard this procedure is recommended in the instructions for some chucks. The chuck manufacturer may have downloadable instructions on their web site if yours have gone that-a-way.

Joe

Jonathon Spafford
12-03-2007, 4:01 PM
Thx for all the hints everybody. I think it is spinning a little better. I own only one chuck so I have to switch between the #2 jaws and the jumbos and it must not always tighten on correctly!

Bill Pealer
12-03-2007, 7:16 PM
I had the same prob w/ my Nova and discovered it was not seating properly Made a nylon? washer to take up some space to solve the prob.