PDA

View Full Version : Stripping Water Based Topcoat

Jeff Moore
11-27-2007, 10:53 PM
After putting about 120 hours into a nice Mission style table for my Mom's new HD television and stereo components, I basically ruined it today with my poor choice in finishing. I used TransTint dye mixed in with my topcoat, which is General Finishes High Performance, which is a water based polyurethane. Much to my chagrin, with this method I discovered that it is practically impossible to get even color coverage when spraying anything other than a large flat surface, such as the top (which looks fine). Spraying into corners and at joint intersections resulted in very uneven coloring.

After fighting off the urge to cry, I've decided that I have no other choice than to strip off the finish and start over. What do you guys recommend to use to strip off the water based polyurethane?

I have decided to (after stripping down to the bare wood) to dye the raw wood, then spray the clear topcoat. I am going to use the TransTint, but have yet to decide whether to use a water mix, or a NGR alcohol/lacquer thinner mix. I've read everything about using TransTint, both in a Fine Woodworking article and also on the Homestead Finishing website. I'm open to recommendations. Do you suggest the water mix or the alcohol/lacquer thinner mix? Also, after stripping, am I going to have difficulties with dyeing?

Oh, I just about forgot--the project is of soft maple.