PDA

View Full Version : HF Dust Collector Bags/Filter?

Deck Reagan
11-27-2007, 9:15 PM
Hi,
It's finally time to swap out the stock bags on the 2hp Harbor Freight dust collector. It was suggested that I go with the Wynn Filter system....see below.

http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm

Is there any bags that you guys suggest rather than this filter kit?

What's more feasible?

DG

Brett Baldwin
11-28-2007, 12:28 AM
A 1 micron bag would work also but that filter kit really is the way to go IMHO. It not only gives you the great low micron protection we should all be using but it improves the air flow which improves the dust collector's effectiveness. It may hurt the pocketbook a bit but I've certainly found mine to be worth the money and the days of dust haze in the shop after a machining session are over.

Bas Pluim
11-28-2007, 1:04 AM
I second the vote for the filter kit. I have it and it has made an enormous difference in airflow. The stock bags had completely clogged up, something that will happen with any bag. Yes, you can wash it, but how often are you going to do that? The cannister clogs up as well, but much more slowly, and a few taps and most of the dust drops into the catch bag. It's hard to explain in words just how massive the filter surface area of the cannister is.

I had a great experience buying from Wynn. Their customer service is excellent and the shipping cost is extremely fair.

Bas.

Jason Beam
11-28-2007, 2:08 AM
Canister filter all the way. The only bags i've ever heard of that could even come close to the fine filtration of these canisters costs MORE than the canister does. I have the spun bond polyester from these guys - Rick Wynn is among my absolute favorite vendors ever - even though I've only done business with them once and don't forsee needing to for a long long time. That cartridge will last for a GOOD long time.

Another thing to note: THe canister not only increases the filtration, it also does wonders for your airflow. They offer TONS of square footage of filter area over a bag, and that really helps the machines pull much more air. I swear when i converted my Jet 1100dc, i felt like I nearly doubled my airflow.

Brad Townsend
11-28-2007, 8:36 AM
I would agree that the canister (Wynn or otherwise) is the way to go. One caution I would mention however is that the canister WILL load up and airflow WILL be significantly reduced without some means of knocking the dust out of the pleats occasionally. I have found that simply rapping the side of it, or blowing it with an air hose from the outside doesn't do it. (Perhaps it's because I will periodically use a drum sander and that will load it up faster than anything.) You need to either get a canister with a beater on the inside, or buy the Wynn and make your own beater, which is what I ended up doing.

Bill White
11-28-2007, 8:58 AM
I put on the Highland Hardware low micron bags after hearing about the clogging issues with the pleated filters. Have not regretted that choice. The first REAL test has been the mentioned (previous post) padauk project.
Seemed to me that the high priced pleated stuff was a bit of excess when the bags work so well, but then I have been known to put an english saddle on a jackass a time or two in my life.
Bill

Deck Reagan
11-28-2007, 9:21 AM
Bill,
What dust collector do you have? Do you know which bags I need for the HF?

Deck

Bill White
11-28-2007, 9:35 AM
Dick,
Mine is the 2 hp (ya think?) 45378-3VGA. I ordered two of the Highland Hardware "shaker felt" bags. 20" x 33" (I think the dimensions are correct.) I would do the same thing again. Not a bad collector for the money, but the original bags are just chip filters.
New bags will snap right on with the original band clamps.
Bill

Bruce Benjamin
11-28-2007, 11:23 AM
I also have the Wynn filter on my HF DC. I'm completely satisfied with it. I've read where some people have complained about clogging and having a difficulty with cleaning the filter. I gotta say that I really don't understand how this can be. I've used mine to suck up a lot of different kinds of wood dust including a fair amount of MDF dust. Just giving it a few slaps with the palm of my hand once or twice a day keeps it at a steady level and I give it a blow out with the air hose nozzle whenever I empty the bag. It hardly takes any time at all. It's a lot harder to install the plastic bags that come with the Wynn filter than it is to clean it out. It takes me 10 or 20 seconds to knock the dust down with my hand and maybe another 30 seconds with an air hose when I empty the bag. It's messy but no where near as bad as with a cloth bag. I haven't noticed any reduction in airflow and I've probably had the thing for a couple of years now.

Bruce

Steve Sawyer
11-28-2007, 2:56 PM
buy the Wynn and make your own beater, which is what I ended up doing.

What design did you use for the beater, Brad?

I have the Wynn filter on my Delta 1Hp collector, and will be soon transferring it to a HF 2Hp that I bought second-hand/NIB.

I have always intended on making one from some aluminum channel for the axle, aluminum channel arms with wallpaper brushes bolted to the ends of the arms. Haven't gotten 'round toit though...

Jason Beam
11-28-2007, 3:22 PM

I have the Wynn filter on my Delta 1Hp collector, and will be soon transferring it to a HF 2Hp that I bought second-hand/NIB.

I have always intended on making one from some aluminum channel for the axle, aluminum channel arms with wallpaper brushes bolted to the ends of the arms. Haven't gotten 'round toit though...

I'd be interested in seeing this design, too.

I don't have any trouble with just rapping the thing on the sides or blowing it out with an air hose, but having a flapper in there would be helpful, too, I think.

Brad Townsend
11-28-2007, 3:28 PM

The design is my own and has worked well for over a year. I'm sure improvements can be made on it and would be interested in what others have done. Can be found here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32652