PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone Plumbing

Jim Eller
11-27-2007, 8:48 PM
I just got my 3HP Super Gorilla put together today and started looking for duct work. I don’t have to make too many long runs so I headed for the big box stores because I had seen 26 ga their and Onieda said I could use that.

So, here’s the problem, I think. Hard to describe but…………

The cyclone has an 8” inlet and finding reduces is not really a problem except, the pipe is always facing the wrong way. By that I mean, the crimped end is always facing the inflow direction. Therefore when sliding one piece inside the other it makes a good nest for dust and chips and of course has a dramatic effect on the air flow I would assume.

Is this correct or have I gone brain dead?

Help!!!

Jim

Jim Becker
11-27-2007, 8:57 PM
That's one of the issues with using HVAC supplies for dust collection....HVAC flows are just the opposite. The 26 gage snap lock at the borg is just fine, but many of the fittings are not what you need. You'll either need to modify them using a crimper (not all that expensive) or buy dust collection specific fittings from Oneida, KenCraft, Air Handling Systems, etc. You'll find the same issue with the lateral wyes at the home center...backwards.

Oh, congratulations on your new Gorilla!

Jim Eller
11-27-2007, 9:42 PM
Thanks Jim but that's the wrong answer :-)

Jeff Miller
11-27-2007, 10:20 PM
Turn the pipe end for end ,and go at it that way, some places you may have to use a crimper.

You can do what you want but I would use PVC (S&d 2729)

JEFF:cool:

Jim O'Dell
11-27-2007, 10:46 PM
I've got all PVC on my cyclone, but as hard as it was to find the 6" SD2729, I'd hate to look for 8", if it's even made! :eek::eek:
For your application, look for some spiral pipe from a local vender. Many say that they can get it locally for about the same price as the PVC, though I haven't looked for it. I have heard of a supplier/manufacturer in the Tallahassee, FL area with decent prices, but that's a little far from you, and I'm afraid shipping would be a killer. Jim.

David G Baker
11-27-2007, 11:20 PM
8" PVC exists. I have a few short pieces as well as a few 12" pieces. The shipping weight and the price of the material would break the bank. Probably cheaper to visit your local sheet-metal shop and have your pipe and fittings custom made.

glenn bradley
11-27-2007, 11:27 PM
Flip it end-for-end, cut off what you need to modify and grab some of these(?) . . . maybe? http://hand-tools.hardwarestore.com/25-95-hvac-tools/pipe-crimper-5-blade-661331.aspx

Terry Sparks
11-28-2007, 1:28 AM
8" PVC exists. I have a few short pieces as well as a few 12" pieces. The shipping weight and the price of the material would break the bank. Probably cheaper to visit your local sheet-metal shop and have your pipe and fittings custom made.

Actually, all you may only need to do is look up "irrigation supply" dealers in your local phone book, or the online yellow pages, they will have every size PVC couplings, reducers, increasers and fittings you need. I have commercial avacado orchard and because of this, I am very familiar with the local suppliers' pipe and fitting inventory in my area. Just walk in and give them your list, within minutes will be driving home with everything you need.

Sam Layton
11-28-2007, 2:07 AM
Hi Jim,

I am also installing an Oneida 3 hp. All of my duct work is going to be hvac, purchased at Home Depot. In fact, it is in the back of my truck. On the snap lock pipe and elbows you just need to turn it, end for end. On the wyes and special fittings I am going to hammer out the crimps, and install new crimps on the other end using the tool that Glenn recommend. I removed the crimps on one to try it out and it was fast.

Good luck, Sam

Jim Eller
11-28-2007, 6:41 AM
Thanks to all. Now I have some thing to go with. I didn't realize you could just hammer out the crimped ends. Haven't tried it yet but will shortly.

Anything else???

Jim

Sam Layton
11-28-2007, 2:18 PM
I used my anvil. I just slipped the wye over the round-pointed end of the anvil and
hammered out the crimp. You can also use a round pipe, the larger diameter the better. Anything round and solid will work.

What are you going to use for blast gates and hangers?

Sam

Andy Calenzo
11-28-2007, 3:48 PM
Jim,

This is a very common question. For dust collection or material conveying purposes, the crimp should always be on the downwind side. This means that the end of the pipe would be pointing back toward the dust collector. HVAC systems move air at low speeds (no solid material is being conveyed) so the direction of the crimp is not nearly as important. Material conveying systems on the other hand, can cause material (ex.: stringy lathe turnings) to become lodged in the gap caused when the crimped end of a piece of pipe, is inserted into the I.D. of an adjacent piece of pipe.

P.S.: Beware! A lot of the HVAC pipe carried in home improvement stores is 30 gauge which is around .010" and .012" metal thickness. 30 gauge pipe works fine in low pressure HVAC systems but can actually be sucked flat when it is operated at the high level of vacuum generated in a dust collection system. For example, if you were to close all of the blastgates on your dust collection system, the vacuum inside of the ductwork might approach 10 to 14 inches of water column (almost 1/2 psi). Make sure that whatever you buy, it is at least 26 gauge which is .018" to .020" metal thickness. Strong enough to withstand the high level of vacuum generated in a dust collection system. In comparison, HVAC systems typcially operate at less than 2 inches of water column of static pressure.

Jim Eller
11-28-2007, 7:35 PM
Sam, yes to "What are you going to use for blast gates and hangers?" I guess I'm in the market for an anvil.

Andy, the pipe I have looked at is 26ga.

Thanks to both,
Jim

Jim Becker
11-28-2007, 7:50 PM
Jim, make your own blast gates! Better. Cheaper. Better.