PDA

View Full Version : zero clearance insert screams

James Hart
11-27-2007, 5:34 PM
Hi,

This is my first post. I've been just reading for a week or so and am very impressed by the helpfullness and knowledge of the group.

Just set up my first ZCI, a phenolic job from Lee Valley for a PM66. The blade is a WWII if that matters. The thing screams very loudly, reminds me of my mother in law.

As far as I can tell, everything is aligned well. The wixey says I'm at 90 degrees on the nose, all my cuts and measurements seem to confirm the blade is parallel to the slots, etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim

mike holden
11-27-2007, 6:08 PM
I am going to assume that if you remove the ZCI, the screaming stops.
So, that means the ZCI is vibrating.
Not being sure if it is screwed down or dropped in, the next step is to see if the ZCI can move side to side at all. If so, try shimming it with some tape and run the blade up through again.
Still screams? then you need to change the harmonic frequency - fancy term for the vibration that is causing the scream. I would add a layer of duct tape on the back.
Is there a change? if yes, but still screams a bit, add another layer.
If all else fails, use the ZCI and a pattern bit in the router to make a new wooden ZCI. Something heavy and close grained.
Mike

John Pohja
11-27-2007, 6:14 PM
Never liked the noise from the phenolic insert either. Usually heard only on start-up. Figured it couldn't be doing the blade any good either so i now make my own out of poplar. HTH, John

rocky brown
11-27-2007, 7:43 PM
i had the same problem- i put a shim from dado stack between arbor and blade and ran it up, took off shim and no more noise.

rb

Bill Bryant
11-27-2007, 7:45 PM
Have you measured your blade to see that it stays in the same plane when being raised and lowered?

Larry Rasmussen
11-27-2007, 7:56 PM
Probably wore/cut enough off the slot. Probably ten to twenty short uses. But until it did- yeowww! Larry

Jim Becker
11-27-2007, 9:03 PM
Yea, once the slot wears a little, the sound will mitigate a bit, but be aware that the WW-II is not the quietest blade on the planet...I know, I own several of them. For some reason, a ZCI exacerbates the noise levels.

Jim Thiel
11-27-2007, 9:18 PM
The thing screams very loudly, reminds me of my mother in law.

I've had mine thirteen years, the screaming never stops.

Jim

frank shic
11-27-2007, 9:39 PM
jim, are you talking about the WW2 or your MIL? :D

Bruce Benjamin
11-28-2007, 11:45 AM

Jim

I'm at 20+ years and I've found that duct tape and a balled up sock really does help a lot. ;)

Bruce

Steve Clardy
11-28-2007, 12:51 PM

Jim

ROFL :D

34 years here. :eek:

Seems to never stop :rolleyes::D

Rod Sheridan
11-28-2007, 2:19 PM
24 years for me, no problems with my MIL, my FIL however........Rod.